Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 Dec 2003, 13:34 (Ref:822554)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans pit-stops

What is the least amount of time that any car has spent in the pits at Le Mans (that finished the race!). I read that this year the winning Bentley only spent 28:44 minutes! Of course it has a very trouble free run, what about other cars and other years?

I guess the Audi's must have been decent at this too, but the (almost guarenteed) rear suspension change would add a few minutes.

Old 29 Dec 2003, 13:56 (Ref:822575)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

If I can remember, the Joest Porsche in 1997 spent even less time in its pit.

But if we check, I think we could find some GT Porsches spending almost 23h40 on the track...

With the refueling and tyres changing, this part of the race seems quite a exploit to me...
Old 29 Dec 2003, 15:05 (Ref:822603)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes I guess the GT cars, who can spend longer on the track, do well in this respect.

Interesting about the Joest Porsche. I can't say I particularly remember that, but it clearly didn't have many problems!
Old 29 Dec 2003, 18:36 (Ref:822697)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was a very sad anorak a couple of years (I think) ago. I actually worked all this out for every car. I'll see if I can track it down.......
Old 29 Dec 2003, 21:38 (Ref:822843)   #5
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you know that this years Bentley used the Joest refuelling rig because it was a second quicker fuelling than last years Bentley one.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 01:09 (Ref:823104)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Good stuff, Rhino. 1s quicker? Well that could be about half a minute over the entire race.

That is impressive to achieve considering the re-fuelling regs. Do you know what aspect of the process it quicker? Engaging, dis-engaging? There are rules governing the flow.

Aysedasi. Anorak away, I'm interested.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 06:23 (Ref:823297)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Here is the 2003's refueling, during the night... not sure it could help, though, I'vent the proper pic for 2002 to compare...
Old 30 Dec 2003, 18:04 (Ref:823720)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've found the list I compiled in 2000. It is very detailed - extracted from the ACOs own records (which ACO members get sent each year after the race). It shows every car, every pitstop, what was done to the car, how long it took. I then worked out (as accurately as I could) how long each driver spent in the car and how long the car was at rest for.

I prepared a couple of shots of it, but due to the limit on pic size, you cvan't actually read what's on it!

I got it down to a zip file under 70kbs, so if anyone wants a look, I'll be happy to mail you a copy. Let me have a PM with your e-mail addy.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 08:54 (Ref:824326)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I've found the list I compiled in 2000. It is very detailed - extracted from the ACOs own records (which ACO members get sent each year after the race). It shows every car, every pitstop, what was done to the car, how long it took. I then worked out (as accurately as I could) how long each driver spent in the car and how long the car was at rest for.

I prepared a couple of shots of it, but due to the limit on pic size, you cvan't actually read what's on it!

I got it down to a zip file under 70kbs, so if anyone wants a look, I'll be happy to mail you a copy. Let me have a PM with your e-mail addy.
As I'm too lazy to check it out (*yawn* went to bed at 2am after a Pink Floyd gig on the french telly), do you confirm that the shorter pit time is property of the Joest Porsche in 1997 ?
Old 31 Dec 2003, 08:58 (Ref:824329)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Cheers, I have the copies of the ACO results as I was a member from '98 to '02. They are elsewhere though

Talking more generally, I presume that the current era is the quickest in terms of pit stops. (?)
Old 31 Dec 2003, 09:01 (Ref:824333)   #11
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Cheers, I have the copies of the ACO results as I was a member from '98 to '02. They are elsewhere though

Talking more generally, I presume that the current era is the quickest in terms of pit stops. (?)
Which years plit the eras, just to help ?

BTW, I think your right : the cars are now extremely reliable. The sole handicap is the size of the fuel tanks : ACO
Old 31 Dec 2003, 09:58 (Ref:824373)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I meant eras generally, but I suppose I mean since these current fuel tanks rules (approximately). Sort of post Gp C (and a bit more) to when it settle down in the mid to late 90s! very vague!

As it seems the pit drill and reliability is top draw nowadays I guess the main chance that a previous 'era' or different class (as mentioned about) has is by having a larger fuel tank (or better consumption!).
Old 31 Dec 2003, 10:38 (Ref:824414)   #13
independent
Racer

independent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new rules

This is from new ACO rules. It should change the Audi (and others) advantage considerably.

"Finally the major innovation in the A.C.O sporting regulations can be summed up in one sentence: "During the race changing the gearbox casing and/or differential housing is forbidden." What this means is that in the case of gearbox problems it will no longer be possible to replace the complete rear drive train in a few minutes. As in the ‘good old days’ the gearbox will have to "be rebuilt" which used to be the case for teams of limited means. This measure reinforces the notion of endurance and "Endurance is Le Mans!"
Old 31 Dec 2003, 11:44 (Ref:824468)   #14
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: new rules

Quote:
Originally posted by independent
This is from new ACO rules. It should change the Audi (and others) advantage considerably.

"Finally the major innovation in the A.C.O sporting regulations can be summed up in one sentence: "During the race changing the gearbox casing and/or differential housing is forbidden." What this means is that in the case of gearbox problems it will no longer be possible to replace the complete rear drive train in a few minutes. As in the ‘good old days’ the gearbox will have to "be rebuilt" which used to be the case for teams of limited means. This measure reinforces the notion of endurance and "Endurance is Le Mans!"
Couldn't agree more. The mentality of "roll a new one out of the fifth truck on the right" cannnot be good for the longevity of the sport. Bring back the days of the likes of Hugh Chamberlain taping everything together to keep it running for the 24.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 18:04 (Ref:824695)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
At last - a sensible rule back again. To my mind it was very bad news when they allowed full gearbox (rear end) changes.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 18:11 (Ref:824699)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Couldn't agree more on the last stretch of statements....

The fact that they could do that full change in such a short time was HUGE advantage for Audi....

Imagine how much longer those stops would have been if they had to rebuild the one that just broke in the car???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 31 Dec 2003, 19:10 (Ref:824738)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Shold be the end of the "precautionary" gear-box change.......
Old 31 Dec 2003, 19:39 (Ref:824754)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But Ayse, you have to agree that a full gearbox change in what 3 mins or so is quite impressive.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 20:07 (Ref:824764)   #19
full throttle
Racer

full throttle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read on another forum that the new Audi has already found a way around this rule by using a gear cassette that slips into the gearbox housing. Innovation at its best I suppose. What the new rule will do is prohibit them from changing a rearend ass'y due to incident on the track. The Audi's have benefited from that quite a few times in the last couple years.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 20:29 (Ref:824774)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, they have....

The gear cassette is an interesting concept in itself....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Jan 2004, 07:31 (Ref:825060)   #21
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
What about a car made in Lego ?

Endurance is reliability of spare parts too, or the privateers won't follow...

Impressive work by Audi anyway : could it be done on our cars one day ?