Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 3 Feb 2013, 11:08 (Ref:3198522)   #76
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Michelin are bringing something a bit more substantial to the race than the average forumer:

The new tower at pit-out.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3198525)   #77
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Slanted in such a way that people can't climb on top of it to see the podium ceremonies from above the crowd. Sneaky.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 11:18 (Ref:3198527)   #78
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i hope it looks better than that in real life, reminds me of an ice hockey stick
Old 3 Feb 2013, 11:27 (Ref:3198534)   #79
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I assume this is different to the ACO's proposed pyramid tower they were looking to build? There was so info on it in the new annual.

That was going to have a run-down of all the numbers similar to Indianapolis.

Hopefully they keep all the screens for 2013. I'd love them to add one in across the road on the run down the Esses.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3198539)   #80
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I assume this is different to the ACO's proposed pyramid tower they were looking to build? There was so info on it in the new annual.

That was going to have a run-down of all the numbers similar to Indianapolis.

Hopefully they keep all the screens for 2013. I'd love them to add one in across the road on the run down the Esses.
They took the one there away a couple of years ago, It was very handy for us on TR, would be nice if they put it back for 2013
Old 3 Feb 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3198545)   #81
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i hope it looks better than that in real life, reminds me of an ice hockey stick
Old 3 Feb 2013, 11:54 (Ref:3198546)   #82
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
So if that is firing information out of the front then who can actually see it. Certainly no one in the front straight tribunes. People stood on the stone step banking at the sweep into the chicane could.

Looks like it's more for TV purposes than helping the spectators.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 12:30 (Ref:3198563)   #83
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I suppose it is there to hopefully become one of the images of le mans, but I agree it will be of little use to the average spectator and still think it looks out of place
Old 3 Feb 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3198566)   #84
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
So if that is firing information out of the front then who can actually see it. Certainly no one in the front straight tribunes. People stood on the stone step banking at the sweep into the chicane could.
I think we'll probably be able to see the info from the tribunes at the Toyota/ex-Peugeot/podium/S-F line end of the front straight as well, it'll probably be projecting on both sides.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3200417)   #85
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I suspect teh High Rollers in the Audi Hospitality next door won't be impressed. It's right in front of their windows. Happy if it carries info both sides.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 17:45 (Ref:3200822)   #86
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Due to loft insulation people needing access I have today had to take all of the camping gear out of the loft, did not realise how much was up there, I think i need to be careful about buying anything new for this year and get rid of some of the stuff before putting it all back, surprising how much I actually had and how much I did not take last year
Old 13 Feb 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3204219)   #87
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I've bought myself a 6th Gen Ipod Nano to take to Le Mans this year as Radio Receiver (hopefully getting better reception that the cheap ones).
I'm going to get it on Sunday.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3204225)   #88
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Great photo!

I used to work in Groningen, waaay back. Drie Uiltjes, De Pauls! and the Irish bar of course..!

Old 13 Feb 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3204243)   #89
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
(Hopefully) a Nikon D700.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 23:03 (Ref:3204271)   #90
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps a daft question, but in regard to radios, do they broadcast on DAB as yet? Its just I have a nice little DAB that runs on two AA batteries and uses headphones wire for the aerial. Is it worth bringing?
Old 14 Feb 2013, 08:25 (Ref:3204442)   #91
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
RLM was not on digital last year but even they do have to move with the times, might be worth a question on tonights mid week motorsport
Old 14 Feb 2013, 09:27 (Ref:3204478)   #92
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moran View Post
Perhaps a daft question, but in regard to radios, do they broadcast on DAB as yet? Its just I have a nice little DAB that runs on two AA batteries and uses headphones wire for the aerial. Is it worth bringing?
I'm not certain that France uses the DAB standard for digital broadcasting - happy to be proven wrong but suspect FM will be your best bet.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3204653)   #93
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No probs. Just been a couple of years since I've been and thought it may have moved on
Old 19 Feb 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3207222)   #94
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the subject of the new tower Michelin have this to say:

Quote:
The latest evidence of Michelin’s commitment to endurance racing is its agreement with the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) to be the exclusive partner for the new standings tower erected beside the pit-lane exit, along the main straight of the Le Mans 24 Hours circuit. This 25-metre tall edifice will display the provisional order throughout the race and will be known as the “Michelin Ranking Tower”.

Michelin places significant importance on its car and motorcycle endurance racing programmes. Both disciplines call for a combination of performance and race-long consistency and stand out as perfect illustrations of Michelin’s Total Performance concept at the very highest level. The Total Performance concept itself is central to the tyre manufacturer’s strategy and means delivering outstanding performance in seemingly irreconcilable areas thanks to the development of unique technologies.

The “Michelin Ranking Tower” marks an important step forward and will be operational at June’s 90th anniversary Le Mans 24 Hours’ race. It will provide a solution to a problem often associated with 24-hour racing by allowing spectators to follow changes in the leader-board more easily.

In the course of the Le Mans 24 Hours’ long history, a number of systems have been employed. The inaugural race in May 1923, for example, saw the ACO use a huge board which was lit up at night by acetylene gas lights. In 1925, sponsors took advantage of this opportunity to display their brand names alongside the race positions. In the 1930s, and up to the outbreak of World War 2, the ACO made use of this highly visible tool – which was especially effective when lit up at night – to keep the public up to speed with its latest news.

The leader-board returned at the end of the 1940s, but was now located behind the pits. Then, in the 1950s, it was lifted to a higher position when it was fixed to a tubular frame structure built in the garden of the former ‘Welcome’ building.

From the mid-sixties and through to the early 1990s, several different solutions were tried, including a three-sided board which displayed the race order day and night thanks to thousands of light bulbs. Some will also remember the airship-mounted leader-board which floated in the sky above the circuit!

When new pits were built in 1991, a number of trackside giant screens appeared, and these were used to provide regular classification updates.

The “Michelin Ranking Tower” stands out as an exciting, graceful and modern solution which continues the tradition of screens and leader-boards that have been an integral part of Le Mans history for 90 years.

Olivier VIALLE, Michelin Competition’s Marketing Director said: “The erection of the “Michelin Ranking Tower” at Le Mans has given us a chance to provide a permanent landmark for one of endurance racing’s most iconic locations where our tyres have won every Le Mans 24 Hours’ race since 1998. It is also our way of celebrating the legendary race’s 90th anniversary. Last but not least, this new structure in Michelin’s colours symbolises the aim we share with the ACO to promote a form of motorsport that genuinely serves to enhance mobility.”
Old 19 Feb 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3207253)   #95
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
To summarise:
We can't stand the Dunlop bridge taking all the attention and we want something similar for ourselves
Old 19 Feb 2013, 16:07 (Ref:3207370)   #96
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
To summarise:
We can't stand the Dunlop bridge taking all the attention and we want something similar for ourselves
And instead of being a stylish part of the circuit, we have chosen a spot where it's obvious and in the way of the spectators view, so we are certain to be noticed
Old 19 Feb 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3207398)   #97
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I don't think it will ever get the french equivalent of listed status like the dunlop bridge
Old 20 Feb 2013, 13:08 (Ref:3207895)   #98
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I SO wanted to 'like' CTD's comment. Spot on...
Old 25 Feb 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3210719)   #99
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Got myself on the camera ladder for this year. Starting off entry level with a Nikon 3200 and a 55-300mm lens. Takes any excuses out of the equation so let's see.

Hopefully I'll be able to test it out at Brit GT Oulton/WEC(ELMS)/Blancpain before the big trip.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3210720)   #100
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
No, no,no... You just STARTED on the list of reasons why you NEED a better camera, flash, lens, then lenses, then tripod, then filters, now a new bag or 3 to fit it all in, etc, etc, etc!

Good luck, have fun!