Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 25 May 2016, 08:19 (Ref:3644260)   #26
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
In 1968 the race was postponed from 15-16 June to 28-29 September because of strikes and demonstrations
If the 24H are postponed then the Euro of Football should be too.
Old 25 May 2016, 08:51 (Ref:3644265)   #27
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Absolutely Pascal!
The Euro 2016 appears to be a target of the strikers whilst Les 24 Heures is probably not.
Old 25 May 2016, 10:39 (Ref:3644284)   #28
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
One point of interest, what if the fuel blockage stops the ACO having enough fuel for the race, 56 plus cars racing for 24 hours plus support plus practice are going to require a very large amount of fuel
Old 25 May 2016, 11:20 (Ref:3644294)   #29
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
One point of interest, what if the fuel blockage stops the ACO having enough fuel for the race, 56 plus cars racing for 24 hours plus support plus practice are going to require a very large amount of fuel
I'm afraid that the probability of running out of beer, merguez and croissants is higher than a lack of fuel for the race.
Some fuel depots have been released this morning by the police and gendarmerie. The strategic stock has been used for two days (supposed to last three months).
Old 25 May 2016, 11:46 (Ref:3644297)   #30
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Thanks, fingers crossed. From Calais to Le Mans and back are 900 Km, theoretically the car won´t need a refuel but ...

I´ve seen that also some Nuclear power station workers are joining the strike.
Just done some rough totting up and our trip, without any side excursions etc, looks to be just shy of 1,000km - pretty sure that's going to need more than the one tank of fuel...
Old 25 May 2016, 12:18 (Ref:3644303)   #31
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Just done some rough totting up and our trip, without any side excursions etc, looks to be just shy of 1,000km - pretty sure that's going to need more than the one tank of fuel...
You'll be ok mate

Old 25 May 2016, 12:35 (Ref:3644305)   #32
otisdog
Rookie

United States
Camano island, Washington
otisdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
In 1968 the race was postponed from 15-16 June to 28-29 September because of strikes and demonstrations
Excuse the massive drift....I realize that it was 48 years ago, but is there anyone here who attended, or knows someone that did?
Old 25 May 2016, 13:45 (Ref:3644315)   #33
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
You'll be ok mate
Suspect I may have to investigate attaching my BioLite to the Prius' battery - how wrong can that go?
Old 25 May 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3644330)   #34
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
As you guys have rightly pointed out, the French strikes can definitely have an impact on travel plans! It is a shame when it impacts you directly, but deep down I have to have some respect for the efforts.

It is a shame when you are visiting from outside of France, may not have a contingency plan, may not know how badly you'll be affected, may not have a grasp of the language to fight your way through the obstacles.

For Le Mans 2014 my wife and I came to the race, then spent a few days in Paris and then had pre-booked rail tickets for a trip from Paris to Barcelona. (We could have flown but felt a sense of romanticism towards the rail option) This should have been straight forward, except, there was the big rail strike at the time. We had an apartment booked in Barcelona and someone was on a time schedule to meet us and give us the keys (they would not be available the next day), so it was critical that we got to Barcelona on the day that we intended.

Our hotel in Paris advised that we just go to the train station and wing it. So we showed up to Gare du Nord and attempted to gather some information on how to get to Barcelona as the direct route was no longer an option. Unfortunately the workers were less than helpful and just pointed us in the direction of a train leaving in a few minutes, headed to Montpellier. We had no idea, is this a good plan or not? While trying to decide whether we should go this route or not one of the train attendants said, "You have 30 seconds to get on the train", so we did.

After taking a seat and putting our belongings away we attempted to ask around if anyone knew anything and if they could help us devise a plan. We were fortunate to talk with a very nice French woman who suggested a transferring to a smaller train to Perpignan upon arrival in Montpellier, however not knowing if this train would be running or not. We arrived in Montpellier and disembarked from our train, hoping that the next train was running. There it was sitting on the other platform getting ready to leave, we grabbed our stuff and ran as fast as we could and made it on the train just as the doors closed!

When we arrived to Perpignan we learned that there were absolutely no other trains headed South from there, there may be some the next day, there may not. I attempted to rent a car but there were none available anywhere. We met an older American couple who had asked about busses and where they might be able to take us to. We learned that there was a bus leaving a few hours later that would go to just before the Spanish border. So we waited in the bus station and ate food that had been sitting around all day and worried that we would never get to Barcelona.

Finally the bus left and headed down the coast towards the border.

I cannot begin to describe how truly beautiful this part of the world is, the far South West corner of coastal France on the Mediterranean, with the hills of the Pyrenees and vineyards dotting the hills. This bus stopped at all of the little coves, beaches and tiny little towns along the way, dropping down steep hills towards the ocean and then climbing back up towards the sky for the next decent to the next little beach town. It was absolutely marvelous!

After hitting the last bus stop we caught a taxi to the closest Spanish town, their rail system still on schedule we got on board the first train headed to Barcelona, the sun setting over the coast. At the next stop a group of drunk teenagers with guitars got on our train car and wildly sang Spanish songs at the top of their lungs. After being stressed out all day my initial reaction was more stress from the drunkenness and the loud singing, I quickly though put myself in the moment and enjoyed the experience.

A long post I'm sure, and not helpful for anyone stuck in a current situation. However, if the trains had been operating as they should we never would have had this experience and the amazing memories that went along with it. Hopefully if someone else finds themselves potentially stranded and stressed out over something caused by a strike they will also find themselves fortunate enough to catch a silver lining as we did.
Old 25 May 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3644341)   #35
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Suspect I may have to investigate attaching my BioLite to the Prius' battery - how wrong can that go?
Meet my travelling companion today and we discussed options, the daimler has a 4.2 litre supercharged v8 and a 20 gallon tank so not even sure it will get to le mans on one tankfull even driving carefully. So might have to take my diesel jag, fill tank up before tunnel and a couple of jerry cans hidden in boot, then drive at a relaxed speed all the way. But still worried about the race itself with no fuel for the cars it might be difficult to actually have the race
Old 25 May 2016, 17:49 (Ref:3644353)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There will be fuel for the cars. They don't fill up at the roadside pumps like you and I......
Old 25 May 2016, 18:34 (Ref:3644368)   #37
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
There will be fuel for the cars. They don't fill up at the roadside pumps like you and I......
Oh so were do they get fuel from? i thought it would be the same places as the fuel tankers, the depots that are being blockaded. i am afraid there are no refineries other than those currently being blockaded so unless the teams bring there own, there is a problem Andrew.
Old 25 May 2016, 18:39 (Ref:3644369)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Shell brings their own for all competitors, I assume. And I suspect not from a local petrol station or refinery.

Old 25 May 2016, 18:44 (Ref:3644370)   #39
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
This is in France, all the tanker divers will be part of the same union so do not expect them to be independent, also the volume of fuel would mean a huge convey of tankers travelling from ? Le mans is right in the middle of France. Tankers also need to fill up with fuel they do not have access to the cargo they are carrying.
Old 25 May 2016, 19:24 (Ref:3644385)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dad is suggesting we don't go in a classic and go in a modern diesel estate. One of us has a 2l the other a 3l. Then there is tank sizes to consider.

It can't really come to this can it?

We might even have to walk to Arnage!

Old 25 May 2016, 20:15 (Ref:3644399)   #41
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually in Le Mans there is no real problem. This afternoon I refueled the car there was only one car per fuel pump, no queue.
Old 25 May 2016, 20:27 (Ref:3644401)   #42
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
Actually in Le Mans there is no real problem. This afternoon I refueled the car there was only one car per fuel pump, no queue.
Now that is music to my ears, I'm considering bringing full jerrycans in my car just in case. Please keep us updated.
Old 26 May 2016, 05:06 (Ref:3644468)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for that Eric, the sensational reporting on our news makes it sound as though the whole country is grinding to a halt.......
Old 26 May 2016, 05:36 (Ref:3644472)   #44
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just a quick mention to anyone ferrying or using tunnel- full jerry cans are not allowed to be carried in campers, vans, cars or trailers by most companies, and even empty ones are supposedly banned by some! Check the small print of your carrier. If you are taking a can or two, hide them and lie if asked.....
Old 26 May 2016, 05:56 (Ref:3644475)   #45
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Tunnel rules - max of 30 litres
https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/carria...el-containers/
Old 26 May 2016, 06:37 (Ref:3644480)   #46
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well that is half a tankfull for most people, so lets all fill up in the uk/holland/where ever and relax, driving sedately down there and keep fingers crossed
Old 26 May 2016, 06:39 (Ref:3644482)   #47
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Just a quick mention to anyone ferrying or using tunnel- full jerry cans are not allowed to be carried in campers, vans, cars or trailers by most companies, and even empty ones are supposedly banned by some! Check the small print of your carrier. If you are taking a can or two, hide them and lie if asked.....
The Le Mans official guide (AUTOhebdo) says that the controls will be reinforced at the entrances for all spectators and vehicles including campers one for security reasons. So I don't know if jerrycans will be tolerated in the circuit area.
It would be better to refuel before leaving UK and get a restricted amount of fuel in France. The limit is 20 or 30 litres per vehicle in some stations.
Old 26 May 2016, 06:43 (Ref:3644484)   #48
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
ETunnel are more tolerant than ferry operators! As mentioned in their blurb, there are Country specific legal limits regarding how much can be carried in a vehicle (in containers) as well......
Old 26 May 2016, 17:56 (Ref:3644628)   #49
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
The Le Mans official guide (AUTOhebdo) says that the controls will be reinforced at the entrances for all spectators and vehicles including campers one for security reasons. So I don't know if jerrycans will be tolerated in the circuit area.
It would be better to refuel before leaving UK and get a restricted amount of fuel in France. The limit is 20 or 30 litres per vehicle in some stations.
They stopped us taking in a can of Gin and Tonic last year!

Drive down and fill up before you go into the circuit? Then you just risk losing an empty jerry can.

Or, don't panic.
Old 26 May 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3644671)   #50
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They stopped us taking in a can of Gin and Tonic last year!

Drive down and fill up before you go into the circuit? Then you just risk losing an empty jerry can.

Or, don't panic.
Living in Portsmouth and travelling via Le Havre I will have plenty to get there an back if I start with a full tank. Camping in Garage Vert I have not had difficulty with having bottles in the car. Hopefully this year will be the same

Sean