Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Dec 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3947386)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hyperpole

Hmmmm not sure how I feel about this...introducing 'HYPERPOLE'!
Old 18 Dec 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3947387)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I much prefer the IMSA format, where each class qualifies separately in a short session.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3947391)   #3
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I liked the extended qualifying format we have been getting. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. It sounds like now there is a chance to set a faster time in the first q session that won't be topped in the fast 6 shootout, but you can have a slower time in the shootout and be on pole as long as you are the fastest of that session?

And 45 minutes with all the cars going for it sounds like a recipe for disaster, collisions, blocking, all that.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3947399)   #4
Number7
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Number7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm, I loved the sensation of sitting on GS 22 just before midnight Thursday evening in the dark (if it wasn't raining) waiting for the pole time to be set. At least that's how it was in the Peugeot/Sarrazin days. Can't remember how many times pole has been set thursday midnight since then. And now we are going to have free practice for the last two hours. Who on earth came up with that idea? Not someone who has been there for certain!
Old 18 Dec 2019, 19:16 (Ref:3947401)   #5
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Because of possible red flags, it should be a bit longer, 01h30 for qualifying and one hour of hyperpole (with one refuelling only).
Old 18 Dec 2019, 19:25 (Ref:3947402)   #6
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I'm open minded. I think it will make for an exciting half hour. I do however strongly feel that they should have swapped the schedules of the Thursday practice and hyperpole. Hyperpole should be the last session on the Thursday night.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3947403)   #7
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Because of possible red flags, it should be a bit longer, 01h30 for qualifying and one hour of hyperpole (with one refuelling only).
They probably figure that with only 24 cars on track there will be much less chance of a red flag. I get what you're saying though.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3947404)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not a fan at all. It wasn't broken so there was no need to change it. All for spicing up the show...... Pah.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 19:32 (Ref:3947405)   #9
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bigger question is, were there complaints about the old system? Did teams find it boring or unnecessary? Did fans not like it?
Old 18 Dec 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3947408)   #10
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I'm open minded. I think it will make for an exciting half hour. I do however strongly feel that they should have swapped the schedules of the Thursday practice and hyperpole. Hyperpole should be the last session on the Thursday night.
Teams usually used the last session of thursday to check or redo the setup for the race. I think this will be the aim of the last free session.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3947409)   #11
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Not a fan at all. It wasn't broken so there was no need to change it. All for spicing up the show...... Pah.
Exactly, and while were at it, the race is too long, lets make it 90 minutes to spice it up so teams and drivers will really "go for it".

The quotes from Fillon are interesting:

Quote:
we are guaranteeing two exciting sessions for both drivers and spectators, where all the focus will be on sheer speed in a quest for the perfect lap. Adrenalin, suspense and concentration will be at a max for every team out there. It will be a thrilling prelude to the ensuing 24-hour battle on our iconic 13 km track. Le Mans will once again be a celebration of racing that goes on for several days, and not just a weekend.
We already had exciting sesoions for drivers and spectators, and they lasted longer. and "goes on for several days, and not just a weekend" it already did that!!!
Old 18 Dec 2019, 19:41 (Ref:3947412)   #12
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Teams usually used the last session of thursday to check or redo the setup for the race. I think this will be the aim of the last free session.
But isn't that what Saturday morning warmup should be for???
Old 18 Dec 2019, 19:41 (Ref:3947413)   #13
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
Quote:
I know, I know, spectators of endurance don't need circus moments.
My biggest fear would be to see BoP + FCY + systematic hourly lonely safety car. In short, a race Ã* la Ratel, like at Spa. This should sound like a divorce to me.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 19:49 (Ref:3947415)   #14
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
But isn't that what Saturday morning warmup should be for???
45 minutes is a bit short to make a whole setup with the three drivers, IMO.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 20:20 (Ref:3947420)   #15
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More nonsense no-one asked for.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 22:03 (Ref:3947427)   #16
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am not a fan of that hyperpole. It will be a short but intensive time for sure. But the former formula could keep you much attentive until the end of the session.
And then what about a big crash during the hyperpole with fences to change? Maybe the timetable is proposed considering the crash problems.
Wait and see but absolutely not convinced.

Envoyé de mon SM-A600FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 19 Dec 2019, 03:55 (Ref:3947444)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Me neither. There is just no need.
Old 19 Dec 2019, 10:37 (Ref:3947504)   #18
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
I am not a fan of that hyperpole. It will be a short but intensive time for sure. But the former formula could keep you much attentive until the end of the session....
Exactly Eric!

The three qualifying practices held our attention throughout, because although we knew the likely periods of those sessions when the teams were most likely go for qualifying times, we could never be sure. 6 hours of our complete 'attention'. With this new format, things will feel a little flat during the free practice sessions, no anticipation or peaks of excitement, because for the spectator, nothing we see will actually seem to matter. Like others, I also feel that final 2 hour free practice session on the Thursday will feel totally insignificant, teams concentrating on race set up and getting those mandatory night laps completed.

I suspect this is part of a 'modernisation' process in preparation for hypercar, Le Mans falling into line with the norm. I also think this is to accommodate the preferences of broadcasters, a focused 45 minutes on Wednesday and 30 minutes on Thursday working much better for them than 6 hours of 'it could happen at any moment'.

Another thing that makes Le Mans unique gone...
Old 19 Dec 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3947509)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Why do these people think that make things better with this kind of change, Le mans is an institution that works they should stop trying to break it. i have always loved the quali sessions that mean teams can put in a good lap then work on some changes to see if they can improve whilst others hang back until the last moment so as not to give to much away. It means we can enjoy 2 days of watching and waiting to see what the grid will look like.
Old 19 Dec 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3947538)   #20
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I kind of like the Idea. Don't schoot me😉
Old 19 Dec 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3947542)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I first saw it I thought "hyperbole".
Old 19 Dec 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3947561)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MiniMidgetMan (22 years old) is very much looking to this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Dec 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3947563)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
I kind of like the Idea. Don't schoot me😉
Bang!
Old 19 Dec 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3947575)   #24
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Bang!
and another BANG from me
Old 19 Dec 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3947601)   #25
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The more I think about it the more I'm not sure. They are just ebbing away at the purity of the event bit by bit.

I wonder if they've been a bit short-sighted in the sense that for the last two seasons qualifying was a fairly pointless exercise, certainly in P1. It was which Toyota and by how much. This year's qualy definitely felt like a low point.

I can't help but think this is a bit of a headline grab and an attempt at shiny new PR in a 'down' year for Le Mans. The Fillon quotes back that up. If it's viewed as an experiment then okay. But you'd have to assume it will probably be retained when Hypercar arrives and pole gradually starts to matter again. Albeit the physical lap times themselves will be nothing special.

As for James' point about the suspense throughout the six hours and waiting to see - I took a look at which session pole was set in for the last 10 years. And it was a decent spread. So it's a very valid point.

PQ 1 - 4
PQ 2 - 2
PQ 3 - 4

This new structure just feels a bit messy. You go from qualifying, then back to a free practice mentality. Then you're qualifying again. Then the last session is just an excuse to beat the traffic back to the chateau. I wouldn't even bother televising those race engines being fitted. Also, when was the last time Le Mans evening sessions actually ran to the intended timings?

I hope someone does go quicker in a free practice session just to make a mockery of it. But I will admit that the current format is a sh*t TV product. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise really. But the current fans and purists love it. It's a bit of a journey just like the race.

Finally, there's something a bit soulless about setting the grid up entirely in classes too. Might spare the blushes of a few teams, but stops others taking scalps.