Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Dec 2019, 20:31 (Ref:3947783)   #1
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dust off Your Anorak - Le Mans Results Archive 1923 - 2000

Results from 1923 to 2000:

http://www.classicscars.com/wspr/res...mans_home.html

It's a very simple site, just text but I've spent many a happy hour browsing the results and learning. Some of the driver names took me by surprise mainly because my knowledge of Le Mans in terms of entrants, cars and drivers is mainly from 2002 to the present day (I went to the races for 10 straight years between 2002 to 2012); I'm fairly geeky about the 60s too as it's an era I'm interested but outside of these, I knew very little so this was a gold mine.

I've enjoyed trawling the net for pictures of some the cars now long forgotten and learning about drivers like "Beurlys" and "John Winter". You can easily spend hours and hours researching1 It's fun in a geeky sort of way.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 20:43 (Ref:3947785)   #2
cg7aa
Veteran

I had no idea the likes of Yves Courage, Guy Fréquelin, Pierre Dieudonné, Peter Brock, Ray Mallock, Richard Lloyd, Tiff Needell, David Leslie, Martin Birrane, Steve O'Rourke had all raced at Le Mans at some point. Also how American cars, drivers and entrants were an integral part of the races in the late 70s and into the mid 80s. I knew IMSA cars were allowed in at some point but I always assumed incorrectly they were a tiny proportion of the field. Not so it seems.

One name which I kept seeing again and again in all sorts of cars was Yojiro Terada, I vaguely recall there was talk of him having taken the most starts or something like that during one of the years I attended the race in person. He just looked at an aged driver to me at the time (everybody looks old when you're a youngster!) but I can appreciate his commitment now, coming back year after year.

Last edited by cg7aa; 20 Dec 2019 at 20:48.
Old 21 Dec 2019, 09:33 (Ref:3947863)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The always amazing Racingsportscars.com has pretty much the same data but in further and clearer detail, however it's always nice to have alternative sources to back up history. As well as to check up for possible errors

https://www.racingsportscars.com/rac...s%2024%20Hours
Old 21 Dec 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3947900)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Results from 1923 to 2000:

http://www.classicscars.com/wspr/res...mans_home.html

It's a very simple site, just text but I've spent many a happy hour browsing the results and learning. Some of the driver names took me by surprise mainly because my knowledge of Le Mans in terms of entrants, cars and drivers is mainly from 2002 to the present day (I went to the races for 10 straight years between 2002 to 2012); I'm fairly geeky about the 60s too as it's an era I'm interested but outside of these, I knew very little so this was a gold mine.

I've enjoyed trawling the net for pictures of some the cars now long forgotten and learning about drivers like "Beurlys" and "John Winter". You can easily spend hours and hours researching1 It's fun in a geeky sort of way.

When I visit this site I am blocked by a Trojan warning from Malwarebytes.....

The racingsportscars site has been around for a long time.

Terada was a fixture at Le Mans for many years. He did 29 in all, 28 of them consecutive (2 less than Henri Pescarolo).

This is an interesting page for 'all you can eat' Le Mans stats.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s#Total_Starts

When we come to consider what some consider the boring nature of sports car racing today, note that in 1971, Porsche fielded 33 of the 49 entries......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 21 Dec 2019 at 17:06.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 18:20 (Ref:3948076)   #5
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The always amazing Racingsportscars.com has pretty much the same data but in further and clearer detail, however it's always nice to have alternative sources to back up history. As well as to check up for possible errors

https://www.racingsportscars.com/rac...s%2024%20Hours

That's pretty impressive! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.