Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 Aug 2021, 16:29 (Ref:4070165)   #1
tomcosgrave
Rookie

Ireland
tomcosgrave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtomcosgrave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to Le Mans with mobility issues

Hi folks,

First time poster!

My father and myself are looking at going to Le Mans (by car), possibly in 2022 but more likely in 2023. We have never been but both of us have to F1 races each year from 1995 to 2000 (including Magny-Cours and Spa). Both of us have issues with walking - myself worse than him - so limited distances only at a time so a collapsible chair would be an absolute must and and a lot of pacing in terms of how much can be walked at a time.

I certainly don't have expectations of doing the regular amount of things that others can do (and that I would have done myself years ago at numerous F1 races - last attended Spa in 2000) but is Le Mans doable in a limited capacity? Arrive on Friday, Stay at the FlexHotel arrangement until Monday, get a grandstand ticket and stick to that?

What is the situation with the busses, are they actually reliable, because I've heard very mixed views about them.

Is it doable? Does anyone have experience of people in similar situations going to Le Mans and enjoying it?
Old 24 Aug 2021, 17:52 (Ref:4070176)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well it is not easy getting around as you might expect, up to 2019 i have been to the race for many years with a friend who is heavily disabled, for those years we have camped at Tertre Rouge which is ideal as it has disabled facilities (loo's and showers) and literally overlooks the race track, so for Kevin it has been perfect, he has gone further around the track during the race and before but spends most of his time within 200 yards of where his tent is watching the race from the dunlop bridge to tertre rouge corner. Tickets for that campsite are hard to obtain as are those for maison Blanche which again overlooks the race track. The hotels are not really very close to the track to be honest. However this year Kevin could not go as all camping/accomodation was outside the circuit area and quite a walk to the 3 entry points and even the little trains from there to paddock etc where not disabled friendly. My feelings at this years race looking at all the fences and restrictions we found there is that, even if next year is back to a more normal event, the camping inside the circuit could be gone and therefore the option for you of camping may be gone. The hotel's at the circuit option is to be honest not that great and perhaps getting a hotel away from the circuit and approaching the ACO for a disabled car parking space might be your best choice as they have spaces close to the action and transport pick ups there. Approach the ACO and ask them what they can do for you.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 17:58 (Ref:4070179)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Forgot to say Kevin loves it, I took him there soon after he partially recovered from Gillian Barre Syndrome and he is still very disabled, that was 18 years ago and apart from last year, obviously, and this year he has not missed a race since. There are also a few people in wheel chairs who use the campsites but with abled bodied people to help them.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 18:34 (Ref:4070186)   #4
tomcosgrave
Rookie

Ireland
tomcosgrave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtomcosgrave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that!
The hotel I was think of isn't really a hotel, it's the Flexotel - https://lemansrace.com/accommodation...xotel-village/ and it also has parking. It's inside the circuit and it has a marquee with food etc so it would suit as a base.

Camping probably isn't going to be doable as I would need to have a proper bed to sleep on.

I don't need disabled toilets etc so if Kevin enjoys it and needs that level of support then that gives me hope that going is a reasonable prospect. It's really just walking and standing that would give me issues, so I would hope a collapsible chair would be able to get me around that and allow me to rest my legs.

Does anyone else have any thoughts? All views appreciated!
Old 24 Aug 2021, 20:23 (Ref:4070214)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I know where Antares Sud is and their idea of a short walk may not be yours, our camping was close to Antares Sud this time and as said it would not be suitable for anyone with walking difficulty.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 20:49 (Ref:4070221)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, the Flexotels are only a short distance to the entry gate (and also the tram stop for going into town) but it is a decent walk from the gate to trackside (plus the nearest track at the Esses is up a massive ramp or stairs).

If you had access to a mobility scooter then there's several viewing platforms - perhaps our local comrades know of somewhere to rent them in LM.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 21:11 (Ref:4070227)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no experience of the specific mobility issues but it is worth bearing in mind that the entire circuit based site is pretty huge and hilly, so depending on your exact situation you would definitely want to approach the event with as flexible a mindset as possible.

if the location of the flexotel is still correct on google maps (looking at the travel destinations site it is) that absolutely isn’t a short walk to the main areas of the circuit, particularly where stuff happens. it’s not really right of them to say it’s inside the circuit either when it’s the wrong side of the permanent circuit.

it might be worth contacting the major tour companies to see what advice they give, along with contacting the aco as well.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 21:35 (Ref:4070231)   #8
tomcosgrave
Rookie

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
no experience of the specific mobility issues but it is worth bearing in mind that the entire circuit based site is pretty huge and hilly, so depending on your exact situation you would definitely want to approach the event with as flexible a mindset as possible.

if the location of the flexotel is still correct on google maps (looking at the travel destinations site it is) that absolutely isn’t a short walk to the main areas of the circuit, particularly where stuff happens. it’s not really right of them to say it’s inside the circuit either when it’s the wrong side of the permanent circuit.

it might be worth contacting the major tour companies to see what advice they give, along with contacting the aco as well.
Very useful info that, thank you.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 07:11 (Ref:4070261)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really hope you find a solution for you and your father, tom. it’s such a special event. if you do speak to the aco or any tour companies do come back and let us know what they advise.

truckosaurus mentioned it but mobility aids may help you make the most of it without finding yourself being exhausted or aching all the time? appreciate that it can be something out of the question and that’s totally fine.

as an able bodied person i’d probably count out the flexotel on the basis that it’s too far to walk to get to where the action is, particularly on the way back and if i’d wanted to do some exploring. we were going in and out of the vehicle gate at that end (and spending time up at the arena nearby for covid testing) and out that side is a bit like having to park outside the circuit at silverstone and walk in. on a single or two day basis it might be ok but for longer it could ruin the experience for you.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 07:15 (Ref:4070262)   #10
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also. The 'little train' and other shuttle buses go to/from the entrances, so there's still plenty of walking to get to viewing points (and I don't think any go near the entrances by the grandstands?).
Old 25 Aug 2021, 12:50 (Ref:4070316)   #11
tomcosgrave
Rookie

Ireland
Thanks for the responses all!

I think after looking intensively at maps that it will be manageable if -

- We get the (eyewateringly expensive) Flexotel. I think staying outside the circuit is probably worse in terms of walking and standing on trams etc.
- I can take rest breaks while walking and have a folding chair along with me for that. I can actually walk, the issue is that I get tired if I do more than say, 200 meters at a time. But all told I reckon it is 2kms all told from campsite to grandstand.
- I am conservative - so any idea of going to Tertre Rouge, Mulsanne or Arnage etc is out of the question during the race itself. Hopefully if we were there for qualifying we could do that then, I know it's got to be done! But during the race I think it will be going to the grandstand and staying there as long as we want to before going back to the site eventually to get some sleep.
- If I joined ACO - probably prudent in case I need help. Also gets access to better stands to get a ticket for.

The idea of mobility aids like a scooter or something is interesting but I'd be amazed if they were facilitated, I can just see the insurance risk to allowing them!

If anyone has any more suggestions or even if they know of experiences, please do reply.

Last edited by tomcosgrave; 25 Aug 2021 at 12:54. Reason: Clarity
Old 25 Aug 2021, 13:08 (Ref:4070320)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Many people here pooh pooh the idea of staying at a hotel away from the circuit, but I've done it for years and it's perfect for us. We have a 25 minute or so drive in to the circuit, usually parking in Parking Blanc. We are mobile for getting out to Arnage and Mulsanne (although there can be quite a walk from the car parks to the viewing areas there). When we go away from the circuit when there is no action on we have a comfortable room and bed with loads of eateries nearby. People will swear that you don't have the same experience unless you camp, but it's complete tosh really - Le Mans is what you make it - what you want it to be.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 13:19 (Ref:4070325)   #13
tomcosgrave
Rookie

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Many people here pooh pooh the idea of staying at a hotel away from the circuit, but I've done it for years and it's perfect for us. We have a 25 minute or so drive in to the circuit, usually parking in Parking Blanc. We are mobile for getting out to Arnage and Mulsanne (although there can be quite a walk from the car parks to the viewing areas there). When we go away from the circuit when there is no action on we have a comfortable room and bed with loads of eateries nearby. People will swear that you don't have the same experience unless you camp, but it's complete tosh really - Le Mans is what you make it - what you want it to be.
That may be the case alright and I've done it that way in the past at Grands Prix - but with disability a problem now I have to look at other ways of doing it. Being mobile and going to Arnage etc just isn't doable. Hotels as far as I can see means more walking, more standing in queues with no chance of sitting down.

Also, I have to admit that I want stay at a racing circuit during a race. I may be forced to do it because of disability but it also has a certain appeal!
Old 25 Aug 2021, 14:26 (Ref:4070337)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcosgrave View Post
Hotels as far as I can see means more walking, more standing in queues with no chance of sitting down.
Sorry, I don't quite follow that? Our car park is 5 minutes walk from the main grandstands. Unless you're going to aim for a Tertre Rouge camping pass where you can watch the race pretty much from your pitch, you're going to have a 5 minute walk to and from anywhere, surely?

Quote:
Also, I have to admit that I want stay at a racing circuit during a race. I may be forced to do it because of disability but it also has a certain appeal!
I can understand wanting to try it. Years ago when I only did a long weekend, the car was the home in the car park. But I grew out of that many years ago and don't sleep during the race anyway these days.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4070340)   #15
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
There are several of the old campsites that overlook part of the track and usually have screens set up to watch the action elsewhere, TR, Maison Blanche and at least one other as they are within the general entrance part, as said the ACO are always helpful as those sites if they are open next but they are obviously the hardest sites to obtain and the most expensive
Old 25 Aug 2021, 14:50 (Ref:4070341)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Thanks for the responses all!

I think after looking intensively at maps that it will be manageable if -

- We get the (eyewateringly expensive) Flexotel. I think staying outside the circuit is probably worse in terms of walking and standing on trams etc.
- I can take rest breaks while walking and have a folding chair along with me for that. I can actually walk, the issue is that I get tired if I do more than say, 200 meters at a time. But all told I reckon it is 2kms all told from campsite to grandstand.
hey tom,

i do think that the walk from flexotel to wherever you choose to spectate from is going to cast a really big shadow on your enjoyment of the event.

i'd tend to agree with aysedasi - the best thing for you and your father's concerns is likely to be via a disability car pass from the aco, and a grandstand nearby to the entrance closest to the car park. that way you have a base that you know is a short walk away from the car, and you can explore from there if you feel it's doable without causing yourself too much discomfort.

it's always best to play it safe with your first trip. you're juggling a lot more balls in the planning for this than say, a 20 year old fully mobile lad and his friends, and it takes us all a while to find the best way to enjoy it for what we value and want from the race. it's a hell of a long day even on the practice days, and it's going to be a lot easier for you to manage your energy across the day if you limit that walk. if you have the time you can always try the walk to the flexotel to see if it's a realistic option for the next year.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 15:19 (Ref:4070348)   #17
tomcosgrave
Rookie

Ireland
Quote:
Sorry, I don't quite follow that? Our car park is 5 minutes walk from the main grandstands. Unless you're going to aim for a Tertre Rouge camping pass where you can watch the race pretty much from your pitch, you're going to have a 5 minute walk to and from anywhere, surely?
Hmm. I was looking at it more from a public transport angle. I guess I dismissed hotels and driving to the circuit entirely based on concerns around traffic being congested. Would traffic not be very messy leaving late on Saturday night around 1am and getting back in for say, 10am? Getting out on Sunday after the race sounds pretty bad too so I was thinking it might be better to wait till Monday and get some rest before driving.

But if that isn't the case, it would be an obvious solution if it meant a 5 minutes walk of a couple of hundred meters from car to grandstand...

Quote:
I can understand wanting to try it. Years ago when I only did a long weekend, the car was the home in the car park. But I grew out of that many years ago and don't sleep during the race anyway these days.
I think my Dad at least would need sleep during the race so doing an all-nighter like that won't be possible.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 15:21 (Ref:4070350)   #18
tomcosgrave
Rookie

Ireland
Quote:
hey tom,

i do think that the walk from flexotel to wherever you choose to spectate from is going to cast a really big shadow on your enjoyment of the event.

i'd tend to agree with aysedasi - the best thing for you and your father's concerns is likely to be via a disability car pass from the aco, and a grandstand nearby to the entrance closest to the car park. that way you have a base that you know is a short walk away from the car, and you can explore from there if you feel it's doable without causing yourself too much discomfort.

it's always best to play it safe with your first trip. you're juggling a lot more balls in the planning for this than say, a 20 year old fully mobile lad and his friends, and it takes us all a while to find the best way to enjoy it for what we value and want from the race. it's a hell of a long day even on the practice days, and it's going to be a lot easier for you to manage your energy across the day if you limit that walk. if you have the time you can always try the walk to the flexotel to see if it's a realistic option for the next year.
I hadn't considered a disability pass from the ACO. That would make things easier. Guess I'll have to ask! I definitely need to be playing it safe here.

Thanks for that advice.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 15:37 (Ref:4070353)   #19
tomcosgrave
Rookie

Ireland
Quote:
Took a look a circuit map, this is definitely compelling...and a lot cheaper to boot!

Thanks Aysedasi (great website by the way!).
Old 25 Aug 2021, 16:22 (Ref:4070365)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
I hadn't considered a disability pass from the ACO. That would make things easier. Guess I'll have to ask! I definitely need to be playing it safe here.

Thanks for that advice.
it’s definitely been mentioned by gt6 and ayse - this is where the others can explain the exact procedure for obtaining a car pass to you i know it might feel a bit reductive but if the system is offering you concessions that will help you make the most of your trip it’s definitely worth making the most of them.

again the key part of this is you and the race, and being able to enjoy it to the maximum extent possible. you seem to have a really great attitude towards doing as much as you can whilst accomodating your and your fathers needs, it’s just a matter of matching that up with what tour organisers and the aco’s own system can help you with.

traffic can be an issue, you’re right to ask questions about that. i think based on how the demand for camping and tickets wasn’t huge this year it might be a little quieter next year too, so potentially a very good year to find your bearings.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4070368)   #21
tomcosgrave
Rookie

Ireland
Quote:
it’s definitely been mentioned by gt6 and ayse - this is where the others can explain the exact procedure for obtaining a car pass to you i know it might feel a bit reductive but if the system is offering you concessions that will help you make the most of your trip it’s definitely worth making the most of them.

again the key part of this is you and the race, and being able to enjoy it to the maximum extent possible. you seem to have a really great attitude towards doing as much as you can whilst accomodating your and your fathers needs, it’s just a matter of matching that up with what tour organisers and the aco’s own system can help you with.

traffic can be an issue, you’re right to ask questions about that. i think based on how the demand for camping and tickets wasn’t huge this year it might be a little quieter next year too, so potentially a very good year to find your bearings.
I am considering everything here as I cannot be taking chances and this isn't an F1 event which my Dad and I have both done together several times before although not for 20 years. We don't really have the desire to do another F1 race - done six, done them all!

But Le Mans is Le Mans...and not to be too down, but Dad is into his early 70s now and I want to do this before it's even harder in further years and in case it can't be done again.

And I hear you on 2022...but 2023 will be even better given the changes to the regs!

Might have to think about doing it twice ;-)
Old 25 Aug 2021, 16:55 (Ref:4070369)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
unfortunately le mans is a toxic substance that once sampled hooks you for life, ask most of the people on here, it is addictive on the scale of class a drugs.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4070372)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
unfortunately le mans is a toxic substance that once sampled hooks you for life, ask most of the people on here, it is addictive on the scale of class a drugs.
not even an exaggeration.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4070373)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Hmm. I was looking at it more from a public transport angle. I guess I dismissed hotels and driving to the circuit entirely based on concerns around traffic being congested. Would traffic not be very messy leaving late on Saturday night around 1am and getting back in for say, 10am? Getting out on Sunday after the race sounds pretty bad too so I was thinking it might be better to wait till Monday and get some rest before driving.
It can vary Tom, but actually, travelling to and from the different parts of the circuit accessible by car is nowhere near as difficult as it sounds. We don't leave the circuit as such at 1 am on the Saturday, but we do routinely quit the main part of the circuit around 1-2 am to drive from Parking Blanc out to Arnage/Indianapolis. For many many years I'd been 'chauffered' to and at Le Mans but in 2018 I took my car for the first time and I was amazed at how easy it was to get out and about, even when the race is at it's height. Yes, it can take a little while to get away from the road at the back of the grandstands, but generally speaking I didn't find it arduous at all. Again, Sunday after the race doesn't have to be hard. But it depends on what you want to do. If you want to stay and celebrate afterwards, then yes, you're probably better off then waiting a while to leave. We have had a set plan for a number of years which means that we hot-foot it to the car park as soon as the race has finished. Our hotel is on the outskirts of Le Mans (St Saturnin) and we are normally back there within 40 minutes (although I think our record is about 22!). It helps to know the roads well, but as I say, I drove for the first time in 2018 (and again in 2019) and I found it much easier than I'd expected - even with no sleep during the race! Being the anorak I am, before I went in 2018, I 'drove' the route to and from the hotel/circuit on Google Earth! I've been many many times and it's surprising how little attention you pay to routes as a passenger. For you and your Dad though, waiting until Monday may well be a sensible option.

There is time to plan and not to blow our own trumpets, there is a huge amount of Le Mans experience here on Tenths. We even have a member (and a moderator) who lives in Le Mans! There are other sites (who do blow their own trumpets) but few of them can actually beat us for the depth of knowledge we collectively have. If you take Simon and I alone, we've been to about 70 Le Mans between us......

Quote:
Thanks Aysedasi (great website by the way!).
And thank you!

Quote:
not even an exaggeration.
I can vouch for that. I've been through very unpleasant withdrawal pains for the last fortnight......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 25 Aug 2021 at 17:12.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 19:39 (Ref:4070397)   #25
tomcosgrave
Rookie

Ireland
Quote:
there is a huge amount of Le Mans experience here on Tenths. We even have a member (and a moderator) who lives in Le Mans! There are other sites (who do blow their own trumpets) but few of them can actually beat us for the depth of knowledge we collectively have.
That is why I'm here. Haven't been on a motorsport forum since the days of newsgroups and usenet when I was a rec.autos.sport.f1 regular and a moderator of the moderation version of that - way way way back at this stage!!