Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 Dec 2003, 17:25 (Ref:813257)   #16
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't comment directly, as I have not had the privelage of being at Le Man's in person. But I think I can comment in general. These are racers. Bentley certainly were not quick enough to back off and coast and still beat the Audi teams. And the Audis new they had to give the highest effort to defeat Bentley. The drivers and teams want to win and will certainly push as hard as they can to win the race. With reference to what AMT said, they can't totally sacrifice reliability, but I think they push to the limit with that factor in mind. Now I can speak directly to the ALMS cars. Those guys are pushing hard to the limit. Did you watch Lehto driving his rear end off the last few races trying to get that drivers title? Or the Corvette/Ferrari battles? Great stuff!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 19:42 (Ref:813359)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Blimey, I forgot this one... and with the chicanes ! Crikey !
Yeah , but that special qualifing engine was only good for 2 laps and then grenaded itself !!! I would love to have seen that lap though . Mark Blundell said that he was oppsite lock most of the way .
Old 16 Dec 2003, 22:12 (Ref:813517)   #18
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrimage
Does anyone know whether the cars run flat out now? I get the feeling that as well as being tuned down for the big race that very few of the cars are being pushed to the limits as they used to be.
Also didn't really get the impression of speed this year as much as before - LM getting too user friendly?
Here's something I observed in '02:

2001 Audi R8 times, qaulifying/race:
Car #1 3:32.458/3:39.096
Car #2 3:32.429/3:39.046
Car #3 3:34.392/3:42.883
Car #4 3:35.128/3:40.362
Average time difference, qualifying to race: 6.745 seconds

2002 Audi R8 times, qaulifying/race:
Car #1 3:30.220/3:33.483
Car #2 3:29.905/3:33.886
Car #3 3:30.800/3:34.603
Car #5 3:38.130/3:38.215
Average time difference, qualifying to race: 2.783 seconds
Old 17 Dec 2003, 06:59 (Ref:813718)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrimage
I get the feeling that as well as being tuned down for the big race that very few of the cars are being pushed to the limits as they used to be.
I'll bet for the contrary ; Jacky Ickx said two years ago that Le Mans, from an endurance race, became recently a 24 hours sprint.

And the lap record is curently done in the second part of the race (less cars on the track), except when the weather doesn't allow it.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 07:02 (Ref:813721)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by jminsh
next toughest would have to be exiting porsche curves without any grip.
Due to the inverted banking ? (Karting curve) A lot of cars finish their race in the concrete wall here...

Some pilots complain about the bump downhill after the Dunlop bridge too.

Last edited by Fab; 17 Dec 2003 at 07:03.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:59 (Ref:814004)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I still mourn the loss of the run from Dunlop to the Esses.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 16:33 (Ref:814231)   #22
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I still mourn the loss of the run from Dunlop to the Esses.
bloody motorbikes
Old 17 Dec 2003, 16:43 (Ref:814245)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Exactly.

Sacrilege.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 06:07 (Ref:814830)   #24
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Ayse, we still dodged the worst for now (a brand new track, sid of the historical Hunaudières)...

I'm more shocked by the vanishing of the trees at La Chapelle...

Last edited by Fab; 18 Dec 2003 at 06:07.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 13:00 (Ref:815078)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I guess there's not much we can do about any of it. I'd love to have the circuit back to how it was when I first went in 1986, but.......
Old 18 Dec 2003, 21:31 (Ref:815539)   #26
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Exactly.

Sacrilege.
Don't get me started on this again!

Bring back the Dunlop curve, the straight to the esses and the Mulsanne straight (with hump!).

Wonder how many extras will be added to this over my lifetime!
Old 19 Dec 2003, 06:14 (Ref:815782)   #27
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
with hump!
Hi there Paul ! Good to see you back in the GT/Sportscars forum !

The hump is still there, even if it was flattened a little bit.

The track had other modifications along the LM history ; there will be more. The curve downhill killed our favourite postcard, but the place is still interresting for pilots... and public !

For the Hunaudières... you know what I think about Jean-Marie Balestre...
Old 19 Dec 2003, 08:24 (Ref:815842)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Ah, dear Jean-Marie, the man did soooooooo much for sports car racing, didn't he........
Old 19 Dec 2003, 09:26 (Ref:815880)   #29
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ah, dear Jean-Marie, the man did soooooooo much for sports car racing, didn't he........
prat. :~
Old 19 Dec 2003, 10:57 (Ref:815932)   #30
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Is there anyone that remembers him fondly? With the exception of Prost!