Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 7 Oct 2006, 08:21 (Ref:1730582)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans track/pits construction work for 2007 race and beyond.......

There have been several enquiries on various threads recently about the ongoing 'improvements' to the 24 Hour circuit and the development of the pit area in time for the 2007 race. The old thread is so long, and with much of the work now done and dusted, I thought a new thread was in order for Winter 2006-June 2007.

This is the planned work for this Winter (taken from an article on Lemans.org):

".....between the end of the 2006 season and Spring 2007, major improvements will be carried out on the Le Mans Circuit, the most visible of which will be:

- The dismantling of the four modular pits which will leave space for nine extra refuelling pits. This will enable the traditional number of 55 cars to line up on the starting grid of the "24 Heures du Mans" (50 cars before);

- The extension and the improvement of the competitors’ Paddock (delivery date planned for the beginning of March);

- The modification of the Tertre-Rouge Curve (extension of the gravel trap). This work is scheduled to start on 18 October;

- The construction of the Welcome Center, in the Village, which should be finished by the end of May;"

There were a couple of pictures on DSC recently which showed that work behind the pits is already underway. The paddock/hospitality area 'below the Village/behind the pits' has had the tarmac dug up and is just a field of 'Le Mans orange' mud. But that's the only evidence of ongoing works I've seen so far.

The new tramway was due to be completed in time for the 2007 race and the development of a new football stadium is planned for the infield area at Tertre Rouge.

So, if anyone has any updates/pics, please share.........
Old 7 Oct 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1730587)   #2
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The view from behind the pits looking up towards the new Village....
Old 7 Oct 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1730603)   #3
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Much of the information on this link to Lemans.org is still current.........
Old 1 Nov 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1755444)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
DSC have some pictures taken by David Legangneux yesterday at Tertre Rouge. Work is underway with the walls and fences having already been taken down.

Can anyone confirm whether or not there is work going on at, or scheduled for, Arnage corner (widening/reprofiling)?
Old 3 Nov 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1756707)   #5
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I held my breath whilst reading your post hoping not to see the dreaded word "chicane" (in the context of more being added.) Luckily, I could relax and let it out by the time I got to the end..

Sounds interesting, although I'd prefer very much if there was not any work planned on the circuit it's self.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 06:17 (Ref:1756807)   #6
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
It looks like they are going to make Tetre Rouge a faster corner ..... surprise surprise !!!
Old 3 Nov 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1756962)   #7
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, slower, I think.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1757008)   #8
Fieldgate
Racer

Fieldgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddsc
No, slower, I think.
M.
could you expand on the phrase:

“The gravel trap will be increased at Tertre Rouge, with the apex of the corner brought nearer to the esses, thereby increasing the available space on the outside of the track,”

I read this as more of making it faster with a bigger run-off, but I'm stoopid
Old 3 Nov 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1757013)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
My thoughts exactly ..... the angle is less acute than before , therefore faster ?
Old 3 Nov 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1757021)   #10
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I was there this year some of the initial construction work had started i.e the new spectator banking etc. When I had it explained to me and certainly from the way it looks it will be a flat out run onto the Mulsanne, making the approach to the first chicane quicker.

It looks like it will add a nice "flow" to the section as they head out onto the open road!
Old 3 Nov 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1757024)   #11
eddsc
Racer

I'm pretty sure that the animation on the ACO website shows the apex of the revised corner brought nearer to the esses, and made quite considerably tighter: so more like a tight 110 degree bend, rather than the broad, fairly open sweep that was Tertre Rouge. So slower, but with a wider gravel trap: much safer, but losing something, as usual.
http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/do...aux/index.html
Old 3 Nov 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1757035)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

90 degrees is a right angle .... right ? So 110 degrees is 20 degrees bigger than 90 degrees ..... right ?

So it stands to reason that a 110 degree corner can be taken faster than a 90 degree corner ..... right or wrong ?

Also i see a slight change in track profile leading from the esses into Tetre Rouge ..... my thoughts are that it should not be slower ..... but maybe faster or at least the same .
Old 3 Nov 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1757046)   #13
eddsc
Racer

Sorry, I misremembered the colours of old and new, and the respective lines of the old and new corner. Definitely faster (blame my age).
MC
Old 3 Nov 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1757199)   #14
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
...my thoughts are that it should not be slower ..... but maybe faster or at least the same .
Think that clears it up then!!
Old 3 Nov 2006, 17:25 (Ref:1757256)   #15
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

The old ACO building has gone!

I remember watching the start of the 93' race on the top of that! Im really quite distraught!
Old 6 Nov 2006, 08:26 (Ref:1758747)   #16
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddsc
Sorry, I misremembered the colours of old and new, and the respective lines of the old and new corner. Definitely faster (blame my age).
MC
Sorry MC,

After looking at the animation I'd imagine its still too tight to be quite flat-out, but it'll be intresting to watch them try! All going well I'll be marshalling Tetre Rouge in '07! So I'll report back when I find out!
Old 6 Nov 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1759056)   #17
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Track works update on lemans.org with a couple of photos. As well as the Pits/Tertre Rouge Corner works already discussed, confirmation that the old pedestrian tunnel at Tertre Rouge will also be replaced. Passing under the circuit there at night will never be the same again (assuming the new tunnel is lit!).

Also from lemans.org, the first four pages have photos taken last Thursday (2/11).
Old 8 Nov 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1760711)   #18
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Bentley03]... confirmation that the old pedestrian tunnel at Tertre Rouge will also be replaced. Passing under the circuit there at night will never be the same again (assuming the new tunnel is lit!). QUOTE]

I'll miss that tunnel - I only really found it two years ago.
Old 8 Nov 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1760745)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I usually like the old parts of Lemans but to be honest both of the foot tunnels were just too dark and smelly and I will be glad to see the back of them, lets hope that the new tertre rouge tunnel will be ready in time as I would think that the old one has now gone.
Old 8 Nov 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1760759)   #20
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It'll be a shame to see that part of the track redeveloped. It was one of the more atmospheric places to watch from, wandering through the little tunnel and
popping up alongside the allotments, and then wandering through the trees up to The Esses. Hopefully the new facilities will be worth the effort.
Old 8 Nov 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1760868)   #21
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lots more trees gone at Tertre Rouge (but at least we can now see that lovely big wall properly that's been hidden from us all these years.........) :

Before () and after ()

More and more of the wooded areas are disappearing, and all of them within the main spectator enclosures between the Porsche Curves and Tertre Rouge. The place has less character and the landscape looks more and more barren as the years go by. As a result, it has become increasingly difficult to find any shade away from the Tribunes.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1761476)   #22
Fieldgate
Racer

Fieldgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
More and more of the wooded areas are disappearing, and all of them within the main spectator enclosures between the Porsche Curves and Tertre Rouge. The place has less character and the landscape looks more and more barren as the years go by. As a result, it has become increasingly difficult to find any shade away from the Tribunes.
I suspect so that the ACO can (raise more evenues via..) erect more of the big corporate hospitality tents/homes etc which will de-personalise the event, but there will still be 250k people milling around.

Esses & TR access was a bit of a downer access-wise this year (at least for test and pre-race) - as indeed were the Porsche curves (thanks Motors...) - I hope they will be more accessible in '07 - will certainly be asking the ACO officials in the off-season meetings.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1761508)   #23
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldgate
I suspect so that the ACO can (raise more evenues via..) erect more of the big corporate hospitality tents/homes etc which will de-personalise the event, but there will still be 250k people milling around.

Esses & TR access was a bit of a downer access-wise this year (at least for test and pre-race) - as indeed were the Porsche curves (thanks Motors...) - I hope they will be more accessible in '07 - will certainly be asking the ACO officials in the off-season meetings.
There was certainly no problem with access to the Esses and Tertre Rouge during race week. In fact I particularly enjoyed the view from the new elevated bank at Tertre Rouge (ugly though it is). I spent many more hours there than I would normally, mainly because you could see the cars for the best part of a mile down the Mulsanne Straight. Of course, the straight will once again be hidden from view when the new stadium is built, although, if we could find a way up onto the roof............
Old 16 Nov 2006, 07:55 (Ref:1767408)   #24
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Can anyone confirm whether or not there is work going on at, or scheduled for, Arnage corner (widening/reprofiling)?
An article on DSC this morning explains all. The road from Arnage corner to the Porsche curves has been resurfaced. The cost? A cool 250,000 euro's.

From what I can tell from the photographs, the new tarmac begins at the very end of the short straight between Indianapolis and Arnage, the join between old and new being at the point the cars turn right through Arnage.

I had heard that there would be some widening of the track at Arnage, but it looks no different to me at first glance. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1767427)   #25
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lemans.org have a number of updates on the work being carried out around the circuit.

Photographic update

And lots of detail in these video updates (in French):

Tertre Rouge works

Paddock works