Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 22 Nov 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1772210)   #26
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
DSC have some pictures taken by David Legangneux yesterday at Tertre Rouge. Work is underway with the walls and fences having already been taken down.

Can anyone confirm whether or not there is work going on at, or scheduled for, Arnage corner (widening/reprofiling)?
I understand from the press conference last year that a Arnage would be unchanged but they plan to add a new chicane before Indianapolis but don’t know when.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1772421)   #27
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper
........they plan to add a new chicane before Indianapolis........
No they don't.

(I've got a feeling of deja vu here!)

Last edited by Bentley03; 22 Nov 2006 at 17:31.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1773240)   #28
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No they don't.

(I've got a feeling of deja vu here!)
LOL.
I just hope continued incorrect rumours don't fuel an actual change.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1773289)   #29
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree it would be a disaster.As it would be reasonably easy to put another chicane along that stretch similar to the Mulsanne pair.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 08:21 (Ref:1773766)   #30
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just as a point of interest on this topic, it's worth noting Jamie Campbell-Walter's answer on track safety at Le Mans which I've copied from the Creation drivers Q&A:

Quote:
2) “Does he think its (Le Mans) safe, and if not, why?

JCW: “As said before, I think all forms of sportscar / gt cars are now safe: when I was driving the Lister GT1 with big overhangs, the front of the car used to go very light when following another car. This does not happen so much anymore. As for the track, I feel it is ok apart from I would like to see a bigger run-off at Indianapolis because at 205 mph approach and 170mph through the corner you don’t have a lot of space to adjust if something goes wrong.”
So, whilst I can assure you there are (at present!) no plans for a chicane between Mulsanne and Indianapolis, I doubt Jamie is alone with his concerns about the approach speeds and lack of run-off at Indianapolis.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1773923)   #31
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
An article on DSC this morning explains all. The road from Arnage corner to the Porsche curves has been resurfaced. The cost? A cool 250,000 euro's...
pictures by Claude at http://www.endurance-info.com/articl...rder=0&thold=0
Old 29 Nov 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1778095)   #32
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
a bunch of new pictures of the work at the track :

http://lemans.org/sport/sport/dossie...php?dir=photos

from what I see, the deforestation in Le Mans seems worse than in the amazonian forest
Old 29 Nov 2006, 23:50 (Ref:1778190)   #33
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are they playing at?!! before long, Le Mans will resemble the characterless Bahrain circuit! I hope thew dont go too crazy with track modifications, it'll lose all of it's atmosphere
Old 30 Nov 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1778908)   #34
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, Tree's are good, Gravel and Sand are bad.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1778912)   #35
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Wow I can still see trees in the paddock, no desert like view yet.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1781447)   #36
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
I agree, Tree's are good, Gravel and Sand are bad.
Haha, I know what I'd rather hit at 200mph!
Old 4 Dec 2006, 11:19 (Ref:1781565)   #37
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
a bunch of new pictures of the work at the track :

from what I see, the deforestation in Le Mans seems worse than in the amazonian forest
I must admit I was stunned at the wholesale deforestation at Le Mans that whole wooded area just down from the Dunlop bridge that was so special is now replaced by souless terraces.
I'm all for progress but let's hope that the unique character of the circuit is not destroyed in the name of the all mighty dollar (or should that be euro?)
Old 12 Dec 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1788894)   #38
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Just spent a very pleasant few days in and around Le Mans. Decided to take a wander around the circuit on Sunday and had the place virtually to ourselves. Very misty morning so spent an hour or so in the museum first in the hope that the sun would break through (which it didn't!) by the time we went for our stroll. Was particularly pleased to see the 2003 Le Mans winning car on display (), but there was not a single Pescarolo and the Mazda 787B was also missing ().

So, a misty start to our walk........

Walked down in front of the Tribunes and noticed the four stand alone garages are still standing........

Still much work to be done to complete the new paddock area behind the pits........

The interior of the Dunlop Bridge has been lined with new metal panelling, and taller panels have been added to the sides of the stairs which lead up to it. You can no longer get a view (or even a glimpse) of the track from any part of the bridge........

This was the scene that greeted us as we approached Tertre Rouge........

Construction of the new pedestrian tunnel at Tertre Rouge is well underway. The new one is located considerably closer to the Esses than the old one........

Walked through the old tunnel for the last time........

And down to the corner........

If you want to see more, I've loaded 60 pictures in all. Clicking any of the thumbnails above will take you there (the first thumbnail at the top of this post is the first in the sequence), or you can access them all by clicking here.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1788974)   #39
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah great, thanks for all the pics!
Old 12 Dec 2006, 15:29 (Ref:1789011)   #40
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
I must admit I was stunned at the wholesale deforestation at Le Mans that whole wooded area just down from the Dunlop bridge that was so special is now replaced by souless terraces.
I'm all for progress but let's hope that the unique character of the circuit is not destroyed in the name of the all mighty dollar (or should that be euro?)
Too late.

Same note: I went to Road AMerica this year for the first time in quite some time, and IT is still mostly the same great track, but the gent who runs it would love a bike GP race, and that was all it took to destroy Lagun Seca.
Bob

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 12 Dec 2006 at 15:33.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1790483)   #41
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Another picture update on lemans.org.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1790622)   #42
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pictures Bentley, do you live in France or were you just passing through?
Old 14 Dec 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1790895)   #43
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
Great pictures Bentley, do you live in France or were you just passing through?
Thank you. We had a lot of fun there last Sunday without any workmen about and nobody to police where we went. It was very much access all areas, which it certainly wouldn't have been on any other day of the week. I took about 500 photos in all.

No, I don't live in France, we were sort of just passing through.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1791756)   #44
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
The vieuw of the inside of the track at tertre rouge is a real shock, gone are the beautiful backgrounds for our pictures.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1792173)   #45
Matra-simca
Rookie

United States
Durham, NC
Matra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Painful to see these pictures, and what they represent. I can't understand how this makes the circuit safer when gravel seems to make matters worse, not better. In the past, changes to the Dunlop curve were justified because motorcycles were going too fast, but there's no argument for what's taking place now. Just horrible...

One has to ask, was Tetre Rouge that dangerous? Looking at the record there, the short answer is no. But the first chicane on the Mulsanne was totally unnecessary as there's been more offs, with folks picking up punctures navigating that section and blowing tyres on the run to Indy.

Todd
Old 16 Dec 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1792203)   #46
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Too late.

Same note: I went to Road AMerica this year for the first time in quite some time, and IT is still mostly the same great track, but the gent who runs it would love a bike GP race, and that was all it took to destroy Lagun Seca.
Bob
Road America is also undergoing changes this winter. Seems the FIA has cracket the whip on saftey issues.

The bridge between T13 and T14 is history. A new tunnel is being put inplace.

Last edited by Adam43; 17 Dec 2006 at 10:17. Reason: Link to another forum removed. See FAQ. Thanks.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 01:24 (Ref:1792438)   #47
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Whilst we're talking about other circuits, looks like there's a small change at Oulton park...

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/ne...sp?NewsID=2398

When I was there in April, I seem to remember that spectators couldn't actually get very close to the track in that particular section anyway.

Hopefully as seems suggested they've not actually moved the spectator area back further, but just moved the barriers now that the 2 tree's have gone.

After all, it is on the infield side of the track so there shouldn't be too much danger to spectators.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1792663)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The news on the Road America changes can be seen here: http://www.roadamerica.com/2006/news_ra.htm

We have a Trackside forum to dicsuss things like ciurcuit changes which should be of interest to the motorsport community at large. I have taken the liberty of copying the above two posts and using them as starters in Trackside.

Here are the two threads:
Oulton Park Spectator area changes
Road America Track Changes

Old 15 Jan 2007, 10:07 (Ref:1815580)   #49
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Just been looking at the 2007 booking form and spotted that there will be a new grandstand called La Chapelle on the outfield half way between the Dunlop Bridge and the Tertre Rouge grandstand. If memory serves me right, the foundations (well, the ends of some steel girders which had been sunk into the ground) were already in place when we visited in December. We wondered at the time what they were for.

The second thing I noticed was a further giant screen to be located on the infield opposite the Tertre Rouge grandstand at the bottom of the Esses.

There's a further giant screen shown in the area of the funfair, not sure though, that one could have been in place in 2006, but I don't remember seeing it.

I'd still like to see a giant screen at Arnage though (instead of the one at the funfair if it's a budgetry issue).

Apologies if I've duplicated anything that's already been posted elsewhere.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 11:46 (Ref:1815646)   #50
bonedome
Rookie

England
bonedome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good news about the extra tv screens.
Any news on the tram works, linking the circuit with central Le Mans & will it stop near a Carrefour or other hypermarket?
As I don't intend to make the same mistake of prior years, stopping for supplies in Calais and wasting time, I'd rather get to Le Mans pitch camp then get food etc. so tram link would be ideal.
any info would be greatly appreciated.