Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 28 Feb 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1854139)   #1
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Getting to 2007 Le Mans

Guys-

This is it. This is the year I'm finally going to Le Mans. So, how the hell do I do it?

Is it better to use a tour package service like Grand Prix Tours? If not this one, anyone have any better suggestions?

Or should I put this trip together myself piece by piece? I'm just starting my research and will hopefully start getting together a couple of options and have something set in the next couple of weeks.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 22:46 (Ref:1854148)   #2
renkadima
Rookie

renkadima should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This late in the day, your best bet would indeed be to fly into London and buy a package IMO. It costs more, certainly, but the alternative is to spend many anguished hours on t'internet trying to sort ferries, car hire, accommodation; nevermind trying to get tickets from the ebay touts.

It's been a few years since I used the travel package, so I'll leave it to others to advise you on who's best.

Have fun in France.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 23:02 (Ref:1854166)   #3
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Accomodation is the toughest thing. If you can't get it by yourself within a few days of trying, I'd suggest you go with a package.

I don't believe it's too late to get B&B accomodation through Le Mans Hotel Reservations (+33-243-200-700 or lemanshotelreservations@wanadoo.fr), and any ticket you want or need through a broker like Just Tickets. Car hire is easy, Orbitz or somesuch, same with flights.

That's great you've decided to go. You'll love it.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 23:07 (Ref:1854179)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Thats the trouble with Le Mans ..... once youve been , you find yourself planning for next year before this years race is even finished .

Best of luck rblanchard , you'll love it ..... BUT NOT THE FOOD AT THE TRACK . Bring a butt plug !!!
Old 28 Feb 2007, 23:29 (Ref:1854198)   #5
renkadima
Rookie

renkadima should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Thats the trouble with Le Mans ..... once youve been , you find yourself planning for next year before this years race is even finished .
Not quite right. On the Sunday, you swear that you're never putting yourself through all that again! One week later you start planning again!
Old 1 Mar 2007, 00:21 (Ref:1854223)   #6
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by renkadima
Not quite right. On the Sunday, you swear that you're never putting yourself through all that again! One week later you start planning again!
And thats why it's so very good.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 03:17 (Ref:1854280)   #7
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Got your passport? Just about anything else can be bought at Carrefour!

I realized last year that I hadn't packed any closed shoes except my flagging boots, and found a very nice pair of espadrilles for €4. Worth it not to stub my toes on exposed tree roots en route to the porta potties in the middle of the night.

keke
who plans to go back this year just to continue working my way thru Carrefour's three aisles of pink wine one bottle at a time...
Old 1 Mar 2007, 07:22 (Ref:1854353)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Try and connect the ACO directly, http://www.lemans.org and tickets@lemans.org - they'll give you an idea if there are any camping spots still available. If you are arriving without a car you could even forego a camping pass.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 08:43 (Ref:1854391)   #9
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Much depends upon how many days you want to spend at Le Mans. If you intend to take in qualifying on Wednesday and Thursday, a coach tour is unlikely to tick all the boxes.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 13:17 (Ref:1854566)   #10
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Much depends upon how many days you want to spend at Le Mans. If you intend to take in qualifying on Wednesday and Thursday, a coach tour is unlikely to tick all the boxes.
And if you're coming all the way from Dallas it would be a shame to miss qualifying. Tomas Enge leaving the pitlane at 23.50 on Thursday night is always one of my highlights.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 15:09 (Ref:1854649)   #11
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
kdr's right. Get there for practice. Every year, when the first session starts and I see that line of headlights streaming over the hills toward me I get goosebumps.

keke
Old 1 Mar 2007, 17:28 (Ref:1854734)   #12
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks guys! I couldn't log on last night and see all these great ideas. Most of the packages I've seen have me coming in Friday and leaving Monday. I'd like to make it more of a trip than that. So seeing Thursday practice is something that's definitely on the radar. So I can imagine I'll have to mix and match a packaged tour with a few additional on-the-side trips I plan myself.

Thanks again. If anyone else has any additional tips and tricks, please let me know.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 17:30 (Ref:1854737)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
You dont want to miss Wednesday qualifying ..... its brilliant . A lot of the teams do their fast laps on Wednesday and setup's on the Thursday .
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:00 (Ref:1854817)   #14
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
A lot of the teams do their fast laps on Wednesday and setup's on the Thursday .
[furtively looks around for Ayse] Unless it rains on Wednesday...
Old 2 Mar 2007, 02:24 (Ref:1855168)   #15
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
Shhhh, don't say that. I remember last year's Wednesday night session. Heck, I probably still have flints in my flagging boots from helping dig cars out of the gravel traps. Never did get the "high water mark" out of the coveralls.

keke
Old 2 Mar 2007, 07:21 (Ref:1855344)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by renkadima
And how true is that.

I always tell first timers that they will leave LeMans thinking they hate the place and after a few weeks it will play on your mind and you will be hooked.

There are only two types of LeMans visitors - ones that go only once
and those that are addicted and go every year.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 12:24 (Ref:1858868)   #17
The Tour
Rookie

England
Croydon
The Tour should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are Le Mans virgins too but we are coming in '07

To say I'm excited is an understatement. It will be my last weekend in Europe before I am off to the US, Canada and Oz to watch some ALMS, Grand Am, Champ Car and V8 action for 6 months. I am buzzing for this season.

I am going to Le Mans with some dedicated fans and a few lightweights. Can someone tell me, will the casual fans struggle with a ferry on the Wednesday, camping for 4 nights and then coming back Sunday night??

We are hoping to book it all ourselves rather than get a package deal although hope to be near the Speed Chills set-up. Is this the right way to go about it????
Old 5 Mar 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1858912)   #18
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tour
Is this the right way to go about it????
Spot On.

By the time you arrive everything will be in full swing, which will make the event seem even better.

The only word of warning I can think of is watch out for the times for travelling back on Sunday evening. It'll be grid-lock around LM for 2 or 3 hours after the chequered flag.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 13:42 (Ref:1858922)   #19
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I need some advice too, on ferry crossings. I've got my LM tickets all booked but haven't decided how to get there yet. I want to take in scrutineering and qualifying so will probably go very early in the week. I guess if I drive I have numerous options at the various ports around S/SE England.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 14:00 (Ref:1858934)   #20
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tour
We are Le Mans virgins too but we are coming in '07

To say I'm excited is an understatement. It will be my last weekend in Europe before I am off to the US, Canada and Oz to watch some ALMS, Grand Am, Champ Car and V8 action for 6 months. I am buzzing for this season.

I am going to Le Mans with some dedicated fans and a few lightweights. Can someone tell me, will the casual fans struggle with a ferry on the Wednesday, camping for 4 nights and then coming back Sunday night??

We are hoping to book it all ourselves rather than get a package deal although hope to be near the Speed Chills set-up. Is this the right way to go about it????
We prefer to travel back on monday - however we do usually drive about an hour on Sunday after the race then stay in a hotel - goig all the way back on Sunday is hard work IMO, however the campsites can be a bit dodgy on Sundays nights!
Old 5 Mar 2007, 14:12 (Ref:1858944)   #21
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I need some advice too, on ferry crossings. I've got my LM tickets all booked but haven't decided how to get there yet. I want to take in scrutineering and qualifying so will probably go very early in the week. I guess if I drive I have numerous options at the various ports around S/SE England.
Google up 'DirectFerries' and 'FerrySavers' both sites will give you quotes for a variety of crossings. Then double check the price with the ferry operators own site as that can be cheaper sometimes.

In summary:

Most convenient - Eurotunnel (but pricey)
Quickest Crossing - Dover-Calais with Seafrance, Hoverspeed or P&O
Cheapest - either Norfolk Lines (Dover-Dunkerque) or Speedferries (Dover-Boulogne)

Then you've got routes from Newhaven or Portsmouth is you want to exchange time at sea for less driving or an over night crossing.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 14:21 (Ref:1858949)   #22
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks trucko, exactly what I needed! I haven't got a vehicle yet - still tossing up between a campervan or just a plain ol car. What's the latest I should leave it before booking the ferry?
Old 5 Mar 2007, 15:42 (Ref:1858996)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
Google up 'DirectFerries' and 'FerrySavers' both sites will give you quotes for a variety of crossings. Then double check the price with the ferry operators own site as that can be cheaper sometimes.

In summary:

Most convenient - Eurotunnel (but pricey)
Quickest Crossing - Dover-Calais with Seafrance, Hoverspeed or P&O
Cheapest - either Norfolk Lines (Dover-Dunkerque) or Speedferries (Dover-Boulogne)

Then you've got routes from Newhaven or Portsmouth is you want to exchange time at sea for less driving or an over night crossing.
I would beg to differ abot Seafrance being the quickest, but they are one of the cheapest.

Speedferries and eurotunnel are by far the quickest, with Speedferries taking you to boulogne rather that calais saving time both ways.

I booked speedferries out early wednesday back sunday night, by using the celebration fare, it cost £50 return.

The only problem with speedferries is as mentioned before they only have 1 highspeed catamaran which if it hits problems? Eurotunnel cost from about £100 but there our about 4 trains an hour. The only problem is its a boring trip, you can watch the walls of the tunnel, read the notices or sit in the car.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 16:39 (Ref:1859020)   #24
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The beauty of the two main carriers on the Dover-Calais route is the sheer number of crossings that they operate on the Sunday and Monday. They seemingly abandon the idea of timed crossings and do their best impression of the Dunkirk evacuations instead. So, basically, you can turn up whenever and they just put you on the next boat. This is great for relieving the stress of a large tailback caused by an over-excited Brit having failed in his bid to re-enact a do-or-die overtaking move he's seen down into Indianapolis corner.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1859041)   #25
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
I can confirm that Norfolk Line are also nice enough to let you slip onto the next boat, even if you've missed the one you've booked. Their crossing are every couple of hours though, not every 30mins like the Calais boys.