Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 May 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1907291)   #1
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans 2007: Will it discredit the ACO?

We are all very involved with the petrol vs diesel debate and generally seem to feel that the ACO will only respond with any changes at the end of this year (if they do at all); however, there is a reasonable chance that there will be a diesel walkover that could discredit the very notion of the race and make the ACO a laughing stock of the general public.

Some have cited that the diesel advantage was limited by looking at last year's race. Audi won it and they rarely needed to push. It was the R10s first LM and they did not want to take any chances.

This year with the Pugs in the game, both will be pushing. There is a good chance that it will be 1,2.3.4 for the diesel brigade--with the nearest petrol engined car more than 10 laps adrift in P5.

In the eyes of the general public, there is a good chance that the race will be viewed to have been heavily fixed by the ACO for one of two manufacturers to win it. The bias in favour of the diesels would be clear cut and the ACO would be openly ciriticised for not taking action when the bulk of the sportscar community (including other manufacturers) has warned of this problem (and the ACO has ignored it).

Having had their heads deeply immersed in the sand, they may now have to cover their backs at the same time. The action they take for 2008 may need to be more robust than would have otherwise have been necessary.
Old 5 May 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1907311)   #2
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not if it is a cracker of a race
Old 5 May 2007, 21:17 (Ref:1907323)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
There is a good chance that it will be 1,2.3.4 for the diesel brigade--with the nearest petrol engined car more than 10 laps adrift in P5.
Which of the five Diesel entries have you discounted?
Old 5 May 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1907329)   #4
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think everybody knows about the third Audi yet, except for us hardcore sportscar geeks
Old 5 May 2007, 21:42 (Ref:1907336)   #5
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The general public is interested in a battle between manufacturers. This is actually what we will finally have this year, after years of Audi domination. Peugeot will have a small speed advantage (because of the better aero of their coupe and higher claimed engine power), but will they have the consistency and reliablity to challenge Audi during 24 hours.
Old 5 May 2007, 22:06 (Ref:1907349)   #6
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The general public are unlikely to know or even care what happens outside the expected audi-pug battle - sucks. As such no the ACO will not be discredited by the general public. However, amongst the more knowledegeable fans i believe they may will be and perhaps more importantly will the privateers who make up the numbers start to get a little annoyed by the diesel bias ?

They have to tread carefully....
Old 5 May 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1907353)   #7
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When are Judd coming to the party with their privateer diesel engine? I thought that was what Zurbert was referring to in his post.
Old 5 May 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1907367)   #8
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
While I'm as anti the current diesel bias as anyone else at the moment I really don't think there's any ground to see the sky falling.

In that light disaster would have been last year, with Audi running away with it uttery comprehensively. This year you've a pair if quick Peugeots to keep them honest, and some good petrol LMP1 entries which, if not contendors for victory, should at least keep them honest.

My reading of the situation (and call me a pollyanna if you like) is that the regs for 2008 and beyond will be steadily equalised if, for no other reason, than Honda's stated aspiration to race at Le Mans. The ACO are not fools, they've played the diesel game to get/keep Audi and Peugot aboard, but in the face of Honda, and any other manufacturers (my money's still on a Pescarolo Porsche) I can see the regs changingest.

The sky's looked like falling before. It has got a lot closer before. We're not there yet and if we all keep our heads nobody needs to be chicken little here. Let's enjoy what we've got while we have it...
Old 5 May 2007, 23:03 (Ref:1907375)   #9
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82
I dont think everybody knows about the third Audi yet, except for us hardcore sportscar geeks

Old 5 May 2007, 23:32 (Ref:1907382)   #10
Mirage M6
Racer

Mirage M6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO will have problems if diesel engines will continue to be favored by rules. For decades small manufactures and privates team couldn’t do anything against bigs manufacturers, but now the situation has changed, we’ve seen a incredible performance, they win victories and championships, and the most important point: the number of small teams is the highest in endurance racing history; the race grids are dominated by those teams, that are going to stay in endurance for years: they have an indefinitive project, not like big manufacturers: The spend millions, they win the race/championship they want (or absolutely nothing), and then disappear again. Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, BMW, Chrysler, MG, Cadillac, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Renault, Ford, and more and more…ACO want to return to something like the glorious 1992 World Championship? We can lose all those small manufactures and teams if they force these teams to compete vs cars with an engine that has been favored by ACO rules.

Millions and millions + diesel engine with nowadays rules=impossible to win

Millions and millions + balanced rules=more or less possible to win, depend of each team and their work in the car. Money helps but isn’t the most important thing; remember motorsport history since 50s.

Ferdinand Porsche
Old 5 May 2007, 23:59 (Ref:1907390)   #11
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
When are Judd coming to the party with their privateer diesel engine? I thought that was what Zurbert was referring to in his post.
Nope, I was referring to the 3rd Audi R10. You're thinking about the Swiss Spirit Lola Audi.
Old 6 May 2007, 01:55 (Ref:1907411)   #12
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the ACO will come of it fine in the short term...I mean to the general public it will be a fight between manufacturers with a slight environmental twist...the ad space that Audi and Peugeot will buy will make everything seem ok...

The longer term risk is if privateers pull out and LMS is left with a situation like we see in the ALMS...
Old 6 May 2007, 04:30 (Ref:1907428)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
It wouldnt make a differance at all , if people laugh at the ACO . Come next year it will be over subscribed again . ACO can do as they seem fit , cuz they dont run to anybody elses championship rules , others run to theirs !!!

Im glad the ACO have their own rules , last time (1992) they ran to the Fia rules they had 29 cars on the grid , mind you , 19 finished the race . But sometimes the ACO do seem arrogant and god like !!!
Old 6 May 2007, 05:45 (Ref:1907438)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I just wish the "Le Mans Series" actually had Le Mans as a points-paying round.

BTW, in 1923, 30 of 33 starters finished.
Old 6 May 2007, 06:44 (Ref:1907449)   #15
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I an concede the notion that there will be a good race up-front, it will be so blatantly a 'diesel party' that it will appear to be a 'fifth' (and winning) class that only certain manufacturers can participate. Not all manufacturers make diesels. The ACO is effectively excluding these players.

I believe it will backfire on the ACO. I don't see other manufacturers pounding the doors to produce LMP diesels.

The diesel walkover at LM will be so comprehensive that every journalist will have to explain what is happening and the fingers will obviously be pointed at the rule makers and the principal beneficiaries: Audi and Pug. The public are not stupid.

In one way, I hope it rains for the full 24 hours and a GT2 car wins overall (a Ferrari or Panoz would be nice).

On the other hand, a 20 lap walkover would completely blow away any arguments that the ACO may wish to put forward about 'parity' and comprehensively rein them in for 2008.

On the issue of the Judd diesel: Audi's testing budget for their R10 engine for fuel alone was probably five to 10 times larger than Judd's development budget for new engines (petrol and diesel). It is not a pirvateer game unless Pug and Audi sell their engines.
Old 6 May 2007, 07:00 (Ref:1907450)   #16
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately the general public ARE stupid and will probably accept whatever the press and the manufacturers feed them, after all the majority of people still believe that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport

The other problem is that no other manufacturer (other than Honda) has come forward and declared an interest and commited a budget for a P1 assault. Porsche have said they will if the regs are equalised and 2-3 others may do depending upon the regs.....Now these people need to publically declare their dislike of the rules and commit to a programme!!

I suspect that when 2 or 3 declare for P1 programmes with petrol engines then the rules will very quickly be equalised until that time i cannot see it happening quickly!
Old 6 May 2007, 07:01 (Ref:1907452)   #17
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not being stupid, to be satisfied with a diesel Audi/Peugeot battle !!!
Old 6 May 2007, 07:34 (Ref:1907463)   #18
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
ACO always claimed a WORKS petrol car can win with their rules, so as long as no works team are here to unprove it, they don't see the point of changing
Old 6 May 2007, 07:36 (Ref:1907464)   #19
Mirage M6
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12
It's not being stupid, to be satisfied with a diesel Audi/Peugeot battle !!!
Yes, it's not stupid, but we could have much better situation for Le Mans 2007 than now.

Although SebringLM said well when he has refered to general public

Ferdinand Porsche
Old 6 May 2007, 08:11 (Ref:1907471)   #20
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could be argued that for the last 70 years the rules have favored petrol fuelled cars.

I think this tread, and the others like it, have less to do with equal rules (if such a thing is possible) than the fact the people don't like Audi or are fixated on the fact that Deisel powered cars are better than petrol and are having problems dealing with it.

I seem to recal in the late 70's similliar concerns over Turbo's in F1.
Old 6 May 2007, 08:25 (Ref:1907476)   #21
Mirage M6
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
ACO always claimed a WORKS petrol car can win with their rules, so as long as no works team are here to unprove it, they don't see the point of changing
Firstly I have to point there’s no a big manufacturer with a petrol car now (and also no projects for the future). This is significant

Small manufacturers and teams have a really good performance: who compete for the victory at Le Mans 04*-05 and LMES 04**-05 vs Audi? (not Panoz, Chrysler, or Cadillac, defeated by Audi), was Pescarolo, Zytek, Creation…

*Zytek 3rd class in qualifying (3. 33. 923), Pescarolo 4th (Audi 1, 2, 3, 5), and the other Pesca (Bourdais-Collard-Minassian) abandon the race when was in 3rd pos.
**no victories, but Creation and Zytek were –in general- faster than Audis, and couldn’t win because of the realiable (and Pesca did a good championship)

Ferdinand Porsche
Old 6 May 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1907482)   #22
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
I could be argued that for the last 70 years the rules have favored petrol fuelled cars.

I think this tread, and the others like it, have less to do with equal rules (if such a thing is possible) than the fact the people don't like Audi or are fixated on the fact that Deisel powered cars are better than petrol and are having problems dealing with it.

I seem to recal in the late 70's similliar concerns over Turbo's in F1.

I agree with your point of view...
Old 6 May 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1907507)   #23
canam
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage M6
Firstly I have to point there’s no a big manufacturer with a petrol car now (and also no projects for the future). This is significant

Small manufacturers and teams have a really good performance: who compete for the victory at Le Mans 04*-05 and LMES 04**-05 vs Audi? (not Panoz, Chrysler, or Cadillac, defeated by Audi), was Pescarolo, Zytek, Creation…

*Zytek 3rd class in qualifying (3. 33. 923), Pescarolo 4th (Audi 1, 2, 3, 5), and the other Pesca (Bourdais-Collard-Minassian) abandon the race when was in 3rd pos.
**no victories, but Creation and Zytek were –in general- faster than Audis, and couldn’t win because of the realiable (and Pesca did a good championship)
I think you have made the point. Privateers were able to compete against the might of Audi at LM (and other races) in years past (petrol years). Pesca lost LM two years ago when they could have won.

Now, there is no privateer that can compete with the diesel. In fact, even a manufacturer believes the same thing. I don't know what more evidence you need. Now whether the public will see this as a fiasco is open to question but is the ACO willing to take the heat? Never underestimate the public's views and what impact they will have on decision making.
Old 6 May 2007, 15:02 (Ref:1907692)   #24
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Quite frankly thats just a load of rubbish.

The people here that are bringing the topic up are ones who like to see a bit of fair competition and not just a Cakewalk for one particular kind of car. It's always been the case in any sport, where you have intense competition you get more public interest.

Last year at Le Mans we didn't have that, however attendances were still good because of the "curiosity" factor of seeing how the R10's diesels performed. But I doubt wether many walked away from the circuit thinking that they'd witnessed a classic race.

Crowd numbers will probably be up again this year too, but again that's because of the new Peugeot's. But whereas at Le Mans you have the R10 v 908 battle, in the LMS all we have is an increasingly boring Cakewalk. Le Mans profit is the LMS's loss this year, but I don't suppose the ACO care too much about that.
Old 6 May 2007, 15:32 (Ref:1907702)   #25
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam

This year with the Pugs in the game, both will be pushing. There is a good chance that it will be 1,2.3.4 for the diesel brigade--with the nearest petrol engined car more than 10 laps adrift in P5.
if the gap between the podium runners is close enough, nobody will care about the gap between p4 and P5.
when Audi took there first 1-2-3, the gap between P3 and P4 was 20 laps.
the next year, Audi had a 15 lap margin over the first Bentley.

gaps don't mean anything if the battle in front is thrilling