Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Feb 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1218275)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Methanol's history

Does anyone know when has methanol been introduced in the serie as fuel and for what reason it has replaced "normal" gasoline ?
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:24 (Ref:1218461)   #2
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
Does anyone know when has methanol been introduced in the serie as fuel and for what reason it has replaced "normal" gasoline ?
I'm not sure on the histroy of methanol and when they started using it, but I'm sure it was about the time that the big turbo's and massive boost were introduced to the series. Methanol has a MUCH higher detonation point then gasoline and that is why it is used. Unlike Forumula 1, Champcars have turbos and they run ridiculous levels of boost, I think they use something like 42-44psi at road courses currently. A stock street car with a turbo(like say a WRX or something) probably runs something around 6-9psi(for comparison). Their are two problems about running that much boost(which is why a street car could never run with that much). First off, fuel delivery. 42psi is a HUGE amount of pressurised air being shot into the intake stream and into the combustion chamber. Without enough fuel to compensate for the air, the engine would run lean and ping and detonate until the engine was toast. No big deal for a champcar though, as they have massive fuel injectors, that most of us could never afford in our street cars. The other problem is that pressuring air creates massive amounts of heat. As the turbine compresses the air it gets very hot before continuing on into the intercooler, which as it sounds like, cools the air. But still the air is very hot comared to a street car, and then it gets mixed with the fuel which makes is very combustible. Then as the air/fuel mixture moves into the combustion chamber its gets compressed further. With the heat involved in a Champcar, if they used regular gasoline, as the piston moved up to compress the air before the spark plug ignited it(to push the piston back down of course), it would detonate(which is very different from combustion). This makes the engine lose power and is hard on the engine internals. Methanol, as I said earlier has a much higher threshold before it detonates. It takes much higher temparatures before it detonates, so the piston can fully compress the air/methanol mixture allowing it to combust when the spark plug ignites it.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:45 (Ref:1218471)   #3
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel a merge coming on .
Old 6 Feb 2005, 02:28 (Ref:1218545)   #4
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
huh?
Old 6 Feb 2005, 03:13 (Ref:1218560)   #5
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A stock street car with a turbo(like say a WRX or something) probably runs something around 6-9psi(for comparison). Quoted from jjspierx
My truck runs 38 lbs (c15 cat) but only because the intercooler is the size of my kitchen table and no fuel is introduce until piston hits tdc. Your right about the reasons you mentioned. And I also agree with the huh?
Old 6 Feb 2005, 10:18 (Ref:1218657)   #6
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i dunno if its a merge as such, but he posted the EXACT same thing in the IRL fourm ........
Old 6 Feb 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1218666)   #7
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it the use of methanol has nothing to do with turbocharging. Many non-turbo race engines burn methanol. It was introduced to indy style racing in the '60's because unlike gasoline a methanol fire can be extiguished with water. It was purely a safety move.

Here is a link that discusses different racing fuels,Racing Fuel Link
Old 6 Feb 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1218718)   #8
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you also noticed that champcars don't use intercoolers.

It's the sweet methanol that cools the hot inlet charge coming from the compresser removing the need for an intercooler.

How sweet
Old 6 Feb 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1218893)   #9
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flatspot is correct. After the awful '64 fire and explosion at Indy that killed Dave MacDonald and Eddie Sachs, methanol was chosen as an alternative because it has a much higher flashpoint., i.e., it doesn't catch fire as easily and has far less explosive tendencies. It has nothing to do with turbos.

Last edited by indycool; 6 Feb 2005 at 18:31.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1218952)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always found the lack of intercooler pretty darn amazing. Does anyone know what the compression ratio is of the current cosworths? I believe the previous generation of IRL engines were @ ~18:1, but that's a different situation.

jjspierx is certainly right about the differences between the typical boost of street cars and CCs, although the correct number is 41.5psi, not 42psi. Just for a little contrast the Mitsubishi Evo VIII is the highest stock street car I'm aware of and it's apparently now up to 19psi (276hp, 2.0L, 8.8:1 CR), which is really rare. Another anomoly is the Dodge SRT-4 which puts out 14psi. The Ford turbo 2.3L in the Mustang and Thunderbirds from the 80s were between 12-14psi I believe, which was quiet unusual back then, but I think it had a really low CR ~7.5:1. Lately there have been a some breaking of the traditional street levels of boost and the CR run on those engines, such as with the forthcommming Audi/VW direct injection engines.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 02:06 (Ref:1223417)   #11
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

JJSPIERX !!!

Thank you for your explanation !! It's very clear now. So I guess methanol arriver with the big turbo engines...
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1223639)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As another poster has said, Methanol arrived long before "big turbo engines".
Old 12 Feb 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1223868)   #13
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Henry Ford wanted to power his automobiles with methanol/ethanol, but because of prohibition he had to go with gasoline.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1223870)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
That's really interesting, Omega. Did Henry Ford invent the internal-combustion engine?
Old 12 Feb 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1223875)   #15
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is that a serious question?
Old 12 Feb 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1223876)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Was that a serious answer?
Old 12 Feb 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1223921)   #17
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe methanol use in Champcars stems from history!

Speedway in the US and Australasia used methanol after WWII in the speedcars and solo motorcycles because petrol was difficult to obtain particularly in Australia and (as a secondary issue) for safety. USAC, the governing body for speedway in the US not only has the speedcar midgets but also had the mile oval cars (Offenhausers) in the 50-60s which ran on methanol. The builders of the mile oval cars also contructed the Indy 500 Roadsters that were Offenhauser 4.2 litre methanol burners.

Then rear engine cars, the break up of the two camps (IRL and Champcars, etc, etc).

Methanol is still used but I understand that may change in one of the groups.

BTW, IIRC, some pre WWII Grand Prix cars in the 1930s ran on all sorts of concoctions.

Mike
Old 12 Feb 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1223939)   #18
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christian Huygens desinged (but never built) the first internal combustion engine in 1680. In 1807 Francois Isaac de Rivaz built the first internal combustion engine that used a combination of hydrogen and oxygen for fuel, but it wasn't a very successful design. After that there were various people over time that refined the designs/fuels, etc, but as far as I know Henry Ford really had little to do with the invention or innovation of the internal combustion engine. In fact, he had little to do with the invention and innovation of the automobile itself. Instead, his major contribution was the integration of the assembly line that increased production and drove down the cost of the automobile to the point where it was affordable for pretty much everybody.

My knowledge of his desire to use methanol/ethanol as a fuel comes from a research project I did on alternative fuels. His decision was based on the energy output of methanol/ethanol compared to gasoline. In other words, it was more efficient. However, that was then, and with the hundred years or so of R&D that has gone into both the internal combustion engine and gasoline they have become optimised for one another.