Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2002, 22:33 (Ref:198782)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Favourite Driver...Why??

everybody has their favourites, many apparent by the names they give themselves in this forum!! but i'm interested as to why each member favours their driver over everybody else in f1.

my favourite is juan pablo montoya....and the reasons:-

1.he comes from a country without too much of a racing heratige.
2.prepared to take anybody on.
3.totally laid back.
4.downright fast.
5.(and most impressive to me) his car control, he appears to go everywhere sideways, a driving style that shouldn't really be the quickest way to drive, but still doesn't seem to slow him down.

so, why is your favourite driver, your favourite driver?
Old 14 Jan 2002, 22:42 (Ref:198788)   #2
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well If I could only pick one favourite. Then it's Ralf

Reasons.

He was able to step from outside of his brothers shadow

He scored a podium in just his 3rd GP ever

A few stupid comments that he's made aside, he's prooven himself avery capable race winner and championship challenger .

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 14 Jan 2002 at 22:43.
Old 14 Jan 2002, 22:56 (Ref:198793)   #3
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmmmmmm.....
Let me think . . . . .

Juan Pablo Montoya!

A fellow Colombian that brings pride to my fellow countrymen.

A fellow human being that transcends his nationality and is admired world wide.

A guy oooozing with talent and aware that talent alone won't get him to the top.

Therefore, a hard and dedicated worker willing to grow.

A man aware of his place in history and his willingness to asume that responsability.

A guy that likes to have fun while straapped in a car going at insane speeds.

His cool attitude.

I could go on . . . . . . . .
Old 14 Jan 2002, 22:59 (Ref:198796)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My favourite driver will always be Alex Zanardi. Unfortunately we never saw the best of him in F1 due to a number of reasons (which I have previously highlighted on these boards - if anyone would like me to, I could re-post "The Real '99 Zanardi Story").

For me, Alex was the most exciting racing driver of the modern era (the mid to late '90s - and even 2001). The only guy who has come close is Montoya. However, I still give the nod to Zanardi. JPM has the more exciting driving style, but Zanardi had the wood on JPM in the overtaking stakes. The way Alex could fight through from the back of the field (something JPM could not do) in CART was amazing. For those of you who highlight JPM's 2001 overtaking moves in F1 - I suspect that Alex made more moves in '99, but the Supertec in the back meant that the car was further down the grid, meaning less TV time. I remember watching the Barcelona race, and seeing (by the timing on the screen) Zanardi pass (not just get a good start, but in the actual race) 3 guys in the first 20 laps .... at BARCELONA! Not one of them was shown on camera. But then, the car followed the script of '99 and the clutch broke at his first pitstop.

Of the current lot, Fisichella is my fave. For me he is the only one around with the good personality (just because you can drive fast, doesn't mean you have to be a toolspank), fighting qualities and aggressive style that I admire in a good racing driver.

If Webber gets a drive, Fisi would be reduced to second favourite. I'm dying for an Aussie to get a run. Mark's as nice a guy as anyone in motor racing. He's fast, aggressive, and he's had to work incredibly hard to get to the situation he is in now. No easy rides into F1 for Mark. Good luck champion!
Old 14 Jan 2002, 23:02 (Ref:198797)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
hey there mac..i ain't been a member on 10/10ths for that long so feel free to re-post ya alex story.
Old 14 Jan 2002, 23:42 (Ref:198816)   #6
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of all time: Ayrton Senna

Proud to be Brazilian. Pure goodness in the body of a human being.
Loved and adored in his own country and all over the world.
Used this position to help (and still helping) others not as fortunate.
Talent and determination that brought him to the top of everything he ever did. Worked harder than any other driver of his era.
Single-minded, focused on the job at hand when in a racing car.

Thanks to Ralph Firman for convincing him to come back to England to race FF2000 (in the Little Chef beside Snetterton - very famous little place)

I could go on and on and on and on...... but you get the idea... I'll bet everyone remembers where they were at the very time they heard that he had left us on 1 May 1994. I'm not much into religion but he was GOD.

JPM is the only one who can come close in the near future. Even though TGF is a great driver and has all the records to prove it (except 65 poles), he just doesn't have the personality (and never will).
Old 15 Jan 2002, 00:00 (Ref:198827)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not have a favourite driver. I don't know why, but I don't. Quite a shame really. My last 'favourite driver' was probably Damon Hill, but at the moment, I am without a driver to cheer. Probably Montoya if anyone - spectacular, and he actually has a personality
Old 15 Jan 2002, 00:11 (Ref:198831)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My favourite was Hakkinen, but since his retirement, I've always been a fan of Nick Heidfeld.

Why?

Proven winner - German F3, F3000 (most race win tied with JPM) and will soon be a winner in F1
Determined
Never gives up (e.g: Prost 2000)
Damn quick
Single-minded
He keeps out of the media most of the time, so in effect a quiet chap
Has not let the Kimi saga affect him too much (only spoken to the media twice about it)

And to add everything up, I think he's just one of the young exciting drivers coming through who will soon be at the top of the game.

Other favourites are JPM (no reasons needed), Trulli and, if he gets the seat, Webber (Finally! an Aussie to cheer)
Old 15 Jan 2002, 01:59 (Ref:198854)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of the 2002 grid, i'd be the first here to say Michael. And i guess i don't have to say the reasons because nobody's gonna accept them...

And close behind...JPM- another driver worthy. He is still relatively new to F1 so i'm still watching and evaluating... but still one of the guys i prefer

Why them? Racers and drivers on the extreme limit. Superb to watch and one-of-their-kind. And i follow my heart as much as my head... they are the ones.

Other drivers worth a mention that i like more than others? Fisi and Nick. nice chaps, great drivers all.

Last edited by Gt_R; 15 Jan 2002 at 02:02.
Old 15 Jan 2002, 08:59 (Ref:198915)   #10
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im with you mac - If Webber gets a drive he will be my fav, for these simple reasons: he is a fellow countryman, a nice bloke, and a talented driver. Of the current F1 drivers, I would have to agree with many of you in saying JPM. His fiery personality, aggressive style, and the way he treats Ralf - I'm sorry but I am just not a ralf fan :P
Old 15 Jan 2002, 12:38 (Ref:198958)   #11
jcclausen
Rookie

jcclausen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Current vs former drivers

I've been following F1 and Champ cars since the early sixties. My favorite of all time is Daniel Sexton Gurney. Reported to be the only driver the great Jim Clark feared. Of contemporary drivers, I agree with an earlier post, Alex Zanardi is/was tremendouly exciting to watch. I was a few feet away when he made "the pass" overtaking Bryan Herta at the top of the corkscrew on the last lap to take the victory at LaGuana Seca. He made for a good show while in CART with Ganassi. Nigel Mansel was very exciting his first year in CART. I'll never forget him qualifying at Long Beach in "93".

Last edited by jcclausen; 15 Jan 2002 at 12:45.
Old 15 Jan 2002, 15:30 (Ref:198998)   #12
Powered by JPM
Racer

Powered by JPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

hmm...i'll let you think about this one for one minute...

(....60 seconds later...)

JPM!

- Been following him since his first race CART.
- They guy can just down right drive
- As another fellow Colombian pointed he brings pride to my fellow countrymen. (plus...since Colombia didnt make it to the world cup all we got is Juan this summer)