Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Dec 2022, 19:01 (Ref:4138444)   #301
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I think we must congratulate EB who came quick with the right answer. It took me ages and ten clues if not more to find it! Thanks for the entertainment crm.
Old 29 Dec 2022, 19:06 (Ref:4138446)   #302
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I think we must congratulate EB who came quick with the right answer. It took me ages and ten clues if not more to find it! Thanks for the entertainment crm.
Agreed - E.B. was very gracious to allow the question to run for a while.
Old 29 Dec 2022, 19:37 (Ref:4138449)   #303
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Allez, Chris, ne sois pas timide, fais nous une jolie question pour cette fin d'année. Quand je dis jolie, il serait bien que tu donnes envie a plusieurs joueurs. On est prêts a avoir l'air idiots!
Old 30 Dec 2022, 10:25 (Ref:4138483)   #304
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Allez, Chris, ne sois pas timide, fais nous une jolie question pour cette fin d'année. Quand je dis jolie, il serait bien que tu donnes envie a plusieurs joueurs. On est prêts a avoir l'air idiots!
Crikey, thats a bit of an ask....cant please all the people all the time and all that! I have not really thought about a question tbh but let us give this a go.

It is a what do they have in common thing.

Jackie Stewart
Kimi Raikkonen
Graham Hill
Ayrton Senna
Max Verstappen
Nelson Piquet (Snr)
Fernando Alonso
Juan Manuel Fangio
Nigel Mansell.

So, other than the obvious (all WDC's) what do they all have in common?
Old 30 Dec 2022, 18:02 (Ref:4138511)   #305
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Not karting driver, not Monaco winner, not Le Mans, not Nascar or Indy 500 … Puzzled.
Old 31 Dec 2022, 01:13 (Ref:4138535)   #306
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not karting driver, not Monaco winner, not Le Mans, not Nascar or Indy 500 … Puzzled.
I panicked a bit when I saw your mention of karting because it was not something I had thought about.... but I am sure Fangio at least had nothing to do with karts, so its not that.

It is something all of the above managed to do in their F1 careers, nothing to do with pre or post F1 careers.

Piquet Senna and Mansell managed to achieve it in a different way to the others.
Old 31 Dec 2022, 12:27 (Ref:4138556)   #307
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
They did something to help the less fortunate?
Old 31 Dec 2022, 18:44 (Ref:4138577)   #308
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
They did something to help the less fortunate?
Hopefully they all have done so, but not the answer I was looking for.
The answer is something on track in a Grand Prix not off track.
Old 31 Dec 2022, 21:24 (Ref:4138580)   #309
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Crikey, thats a bit of an ask....cant please all the people all the time and all that! I have not really thought about a question tbh but let us give this a go.

It is a what do they have in common thing.

Jackie Stewart
Kimi Raikkonen
Graham Hill
Ayrton Senna
Max Verstappen
Nelson Piquet (Snr)
Fernando Alonso
Juan Manuel Fangio
Nigel Mansell.

So, other than the obvious (all WDC's) what do they all have in common?
They’re all generally on 20-40 wins except Graham Hill, and with a few missing. I know this isn’t the answer but is it a complete coincidence?
Old 31 Dec 2022, 23:41 (Ref:4138593)   #310
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
They’re all generally on 20-40 wins except Graham Hill, and with a few missing. I know this isn’t the answer but is it a complete coincidence?
You got one bit right..... it isnt the answer I am looking for, or had thought of.!

The coincidence is more that they are all WDC's. They wouldn't have to be WDC's to achieve what they did.

You mentioned Graham Hill. Arguably Damon Hill could be on the list too. Although his link to 'the club' is more tenuous and yes but no.

Whilst not a WDC, Chris Amon did qualify for said club.... as did other non WDC's.

Totally irrelevant and not a clue...

Happy New Year all. You in Blighty are not even into 2023 yet, although by the time you read this you probably will be... I have already had my first sleep in 2023!

Old 1 Jan 2023, 00:28 (Ref:4138598)   #311
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
I will just add that Teams can also join this 'club' . Some of them WCC Champions.....
Coincidentally the number of WCC teams matches the number of WDC drivers.

When I refer to the club, it is not a formal club, think of it as a list of those who would qualify to be members if....
Old 1 Jan 2023, 01:58 (Ref:4138606)   #312
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
They have all tested or raced something outside of F1?
Old 1 Jan 2023, 02:40 (Ref:4138612)   #313
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
They have all tested or raced something outside of F1?
No, it is totally F1 related.
They may well have done as you suggest, and I daresay have.... but thats not what I am looking for.

I did mention a clue earlier that could perhaps be misleading.... clarifying that will also be a clue.

Quote:
The answer is something on track in a Grand Prix not off track.
Referring to "not off track" I meant it was not away from the circuit.
Some joined the list / club by leaving the black stuff thus going off track in that sense.

Maybe a question from last year in this thread gives a clue?
Old 1 Jan 2023, 07:46 (Ref:4138642)   #314
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I feel that the slightest clue could mean you give the full answer right? Not to do with a request of being #1 of the team? If this was the right answer we'd have Prost too.
Old 1 Jan 2023, 08:24 (Ref:4138643)   #315
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Actually there is a chance Prost should be on the WDC list that have this achievement on their CV.

You are right Gerard many clues I could give will make it too easy.

In a strange quirk of the rules Fangio managed to win the race on the same day he joined this club. No one else has ever managed that.
Old 1 Jan 2023, 10:02 (Ref:4138653)   #316
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Be WDC before the end of the season? Win the title during the last lap of the race?
Old 1 Jan 2023, 10:29 (Ref:4138654)   #317
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have they all caused a race to be red-flagged?
Old 1 Jan 2023, 10:47 (Ref:4138656)   #318
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Be WDC before the end of the season? Win the title during the last lap of the race?
No. The year in question where Fangio joined the club he won the title in the last race. But Fangio had already joined this club well before the end of the season. Much nearer the start of the season.

Kimi Raikkonen joined the list three years before he became a WDC.

Alonso joined the list 10 years after his 2nd WDC.

Senna joined the list the year after Piquet won his 2nd WDC.

As I said this list is not confined to just WDC's.... Some non WDC's seemed able to achieve the mystery feat more times than once. In fact Albers managed it three years running.

I have just realised Prost could arguably qualify for the list.
Old 1 Jan 2023, 11:54 (Ref:4138658)   #319
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Have they all caused a race to be red-flagged?
Again a possibility but not the answer I am looking for. It is more easily identified than how many red flags a driver has caused.

Looking at results from early in the various year may be fruitful.

I have tried to skirt around years they actually made it onto the list, offering instead simple riddles that would be easy to identify the year. For instance Alonso joined the list 10 years after his 2nd WDC.

Looking at his results early in that +10 from his 2nd WDC season may show something up, something that then looking at the other WDC's mentioned miscellaneous early season results might be the penny dropping moment.

My next clue will be the year in which these WDC's joined the list. By that point I may as well give the answer.

I did also mention that the question might be in a similar vein to a previous question from last year that we have had in this thread.
Old 1 Jan 2023, 12:06 (Ref:4138659)   #320
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What did they achieve: Raikkonen in 2004 (Mc Laren); Alonso in 2016 (McLaren) and Senna in 1987 (Camel Lotus).

Nothing to do with cigarettes, tires, any team/car…

I think the question EB is refering to is malcolm's
Old 1 Jan 2023, 12:06 (Ref:4138660)   #321
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
They were all the first retirement of the season?
Old 1 Jan 2023, 12:13 (Ref:4138661)   #322
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If you take Albers as an example, its a DNF at his first race of each season, 2005/6/7. Didnt check the others.
Old 1 Jan 2023, 12:24 (Ref:4138662)   #323
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Doesn’t surprise me about Albers, he always seemed to be a bit of a wild driver. Have to check the others too
Old 1 Jan 2023, 12:48 (Ref:4138664)   #324
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
They were all the first retirement of the season?

Bingo.

The year in which these WDC's joined the 1st DNF of the season club.

1967 Jackie Stewart
2004 Kimi Raikkonen
1961 Graham Hill
1984 Ayrton Senna
2020 Max Verstappen
1985 Nelson Piquet (Snr)
2016 Fernando Alonso
1956 Juan Manuel Fangio
1986 Nigel Mansell.

I added Prost as an arguable. He DNFd in the opening race of the 1981 season when he and de Cesaris both collided on the opening lap. Im not 100% sure of who stopped first. The results show de Cesaris as last, ie first to drop out, but I watched a replay of the race and Prost stopped his Renault on the spot of the contact mid track. It was his first race for the Regie.

I also said arguably Damon Hill could be on the list.... in 1997 at the Aus GP he stopped on the warm up lap with a jammed throttle. Was he a DNS or a DNF?

Fangio is somewhat unique as I mentioned.
At his home GP in 1956 he was the first DNF of the season when the fuel pump failed in his own Ferrari. He then took over Musso's Ferrari and took the (shared) win. He also went on to claim the WDC that year. So in the same race he was credited with a DNF and a win .

I also said that some constructors are on the list:
Many WCC winners made multiple appearances on the list. McLaren lead the way with 6 1st DNFs in a season. WCC winners in bold.

6 McLaren
5 BRM
5 Ferrari
4 Williams
4 Lotus
3 Brabham

3 Minardi
3 Sauber
3 Tyrrell
2 Benetton
2 Cooper

2 Force India
2 March
2 Maserati
2 Shadow

Apologies if it was a bit drawn out but it was very difficult to find clues that would not be too obvious.

CRM was first in with the correct answer and so has the the next question.
Old 1 Jan 2023, 13:16 (Ref:4138665)   #325
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Doesn’t surprise me about Albers, he always seemed to be a bit of a wild driver. Have to check the others too
Just to clarify, 2 of Albers first lap DNFs were mechanical failures (2006 Bahrain GP Transmission / Diff failed on the opening lap and Aus 2005 a gearbox failure on lap 16.)
He did crash all on his own in 2007 though, at the Aus GP on lap 10

Of the WDC's Piquet and Mansell (and Prost as per my previous post) Piquet was a spin, and Mansell a collision... all other WDC first race of the season DNF's were mechanical failures.

As an aside Fangio is the only WDC to have been 1st DNF and still won the WDC that same year