Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2023, 18:51 (Ref:4168946)   #601
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK, so here's the answer. Ignoring Lotterer, because I'm dumb and didn't look past the mid teens, they were all multiple champions in other disciplines who had done at least one F1 test but never raced in F1:

Tom Kristensen - multiple Le Mans 24 Hour wins, WEC champion, ALMS champion
Dario Franchitti - multiple IndyCar champion, 3 time Indy 500 winner
Sebastien Loeb - multiple WRC champion
Valentino Rossi - multiple MotoGP champion
Andre Lotterer - triple Le Mans 24 Hour winner, 2012 WEC champion
Al Unser Jr - twice CART champion, 1982 Can-Am Champion, twice Indy 500 winner

They weren't all the most winning in their categories, but as some of them were I think Bob (rbs) was pretty close, so over to you!
Old 19 Jul 2023, 01:06 (Ref:4168969)   #602
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
OK, so here's the answer. Ignoring Lotterer, because I'm dumb and didn't look past the mid teens, they were all multiple champions in other disciplines who had done at least one F1 test but never raced in F1:

Tom Kristensen - multiple Le Mans 24 Hour wins, WEC champion, ALMS champion
Dario Franchitti - multiple IndyCar champion, 3 time Indy 500 winner
Sebastien Loeb - multiple WRC champion
Valentino Rossi - multiple MotoGP champion
Andre Lotterer - triple Le Mans 24 Hour winner, 2012 WEC champion
Al Unser Jr - twice CART champion, 1982 Can-Am Champion, twice Indy 500 winner

They weren't all the most winning in their categories, but as some of them were I think Bob (rbs) was pretty close, so over to you!
Thanks for this, a quite staggering amount of success amongst those guys!!
Old 22 Jul 2023, 16:34 (Ref:4169454)   #603
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, thanks Graeme, try this one.

Who is the only driver of Cherokee descent to take part in the World Drivers Championship and what did he drive?
Old 22 Jul 2023, 20:12 (Ref:4169479)   #604
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
OK, thanks Graeme, try this one.

Who is the only driver of Cherokee descent to take part in the World Drivers Championship and what did he drive?
You would pick one I genuinely know the answer to! I never knew the car existed before I started marshalling and then there were two glorious versions at a Donington meeting. They really stood out from the crowd.

In view of that I'll let others have a crack.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 06:00 (Ref:4169498)   #605
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You are correct with the car, I was at the same meeting, they have bee fairly regular recently though.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 07:19 (Ref:4169502)   #606
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The “Raging Cherokee”

Old 23 Jul 2023, 15:32 (Ref:4169553)   #607
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
CRM, you have thrown me here, I had never seen him named as 2The Raging Cherokee" before, being born in New York I had not considered him as a Cherokee.

It was not who I was thinking of but I will be doing some research here, I had seen the person I am looking for as "The Only" in the past and it was in an article that told m he also appeared in a few episode of CHIPS the TV programme with his Thrill Circus.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 15:42 (Ref:4169555)   #608
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
CRM, you have thrown me here, I had never seen him named as 2The Raging Cherokee" before, being born in New York I had not considered him as a Cherokee.

It was not who I was thinking of but I will be doing some research here, I had seen the person I am looking for as "The Only" in the past and it was in an article that told m he also appeared in a few episode of CHIPS the TV programme with his Thrill Circus.
Slight misquote on my part:

<> promoted himself as a full-blooded American Indian. He was referred to as the "Charging Cherokee" and everybody called him "The Chief."

<> laughs about it to this day. While his grandfather was dark skinned and had Indian features, there is no Indian blood in the <> family.

"Back in the day, it was all about promotion," <> said. "He was raised in the Oklahoma-Texas region and he was real tan. Part of his shtick was that he was a full-blooded, Native American."
Old 16 Dec 2023, 11:38 (Ref:4189226)   #609
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
What links the following drivers?

Stirling Moss
Didier Pironi
Nelson Piquet
Rene Arnoux
Alain Prost
Nigel Mansell
Ayrton Senna

Clue: it is something to do with Monaco.
Old 16 Dec 2023, 20:11 (Ref:4189270)   #610
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post

Stirling Moss
Didier Pironi
Nelson Piquet
Rene Arnoux
Alain Prost
Nigel Mansell
Ayrton Senna

Each of them won their first Grand Prix victory at the Monaco Grand Prix.
Old 17 Dec 2023, 08:20 (Ref:4189305)   #611
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Stirling Moss
Didier Pironi
Nelson Piquet
Rene Arnoux
Alain Prost
Nigel Mansell
Ayrton Senna

They all retired from the lead in Monaco
Old 17 Dec 2023, 09:23 (Ref:4189307)   #612
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
They all retired from the lead in Monaco
You are pretty much there, but why are these drivers on the list, but others who retired from the lead in Monaco such as Schumacher, Alesi, Hill, Clark and Fangio (among others) are not?
Old 20 Dec 2023, 19:52 (Ref:4189529)   #613
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Stirling Moss
Didier Pironi
Nelson Piquet
Rene Arnoux
Alain Prost
Nigel Mansell
Ayrton Senna

They all spun off or crashed while in the lead at Monaco.
Old 21 Dec 2023, 07:19 (Ref:4189555)   #614
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, Moss crashed in 57 I think, Pironi in 80, Piquet in 81, Prost and Arnoux in 82, Mansell in 84 and Senna in 88
Old 21 Dec 2023, 10:48 (Ref:4189563)   #615
BTCC frog
Veteran

Yes, that is the correct answer. Well done to you both!
Old 25 Dec 2023, 23:10 (Ref:4189897)   #616
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you left Brabham off this list. He also crash at the last hairpin on the last lap in 1970 handing the win to Jochen Rindt.
Old 25 Dec 2023, 23:34 (Ref:4189898)   #617
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelise View Post
I think you left Brabham off this list. He also crash at the last hairpin on the last lap in 1970 handing the win to Jochen Rindt.
Yes he lost the lead on the final lap but technically he didnt actually crash out of the race. He ran wide and recovered to finish 2nd that year.
Old 26 Dec 2023, 22:58 (Ref:4189955)   #618
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh understood, I missed that distinction!
Old 8 Jan 2024, 14:08 (Ref:4191121)   #619
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Won the WDC by beating a prior WDC with both in the same car/team?

Juan Manuel Fangio
o 1951 Giuseppe Farina

Alberto Ascari
o 1952 Juan Manuel Fangio
?

Late to the party, but

1951 Fangio Alfa Romeo.
1952 Ascari Ferrari.

Did I not understand the question?

I must be a fool, wandering into the Formula 1 Forum
Old 8 Jan 2024, 14:33 (Ref:4191124)   #620
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Won the WDC by beating a prior WDC with both in the same car/team?

Juan Manuel Fangio
o 1951 Giuseppe Farina

Alberto Ascari
o 1952 Juan Manuel Fangio
?

Late to the party, but

1951 Fangio Alfa Romeo.
1952 Ascari Ferrari.

Did I not understand the question?

I must be a fool, wandering into the Formula 1 Forum
Richard should have said:

Alberto Ascari
o 1952-1953 Giuseppe Farina

but 'Won the WDC by beating a prior WDC with both in the same car/team' was still the correct answer because I didn't ask for every driver they beat to be named, just the rationale behind the list.

But it was that in 1951, Juan Manuel Fangio won the title when his teammate was a former world champion in Giuseppe Farina.

In 1952 and 1953, Alberto Ascari won the title when his teammate was a former world champion in Giuseppe Farina.

In 1967, Denny Hulme won the title when his teammate was a former world champion in Jack Brabham.

etc.

And anyone is welcome to take the next question although both wolfhound and S Griffin sort of got the last one right.
Old 8 Jan 2024, 15:21 (Ref:4191131)   #621
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This should be super easy. And easily found via Google search. So maybe the wording might make it a tiny bit harder.

What somewhat unique feature of the failed Porsche V12 used for the Arrows team was a throwback to an earlier successful Porsche racing engine?

There might be multiple answers, but there is one I am looking for.

Richard
Old 8 Jan 2024, 15:52 (Ref:4191135)   #622
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
What somewhat unique feature of the failed Porsche V12 used for the Arrows team was a throwback to an earlier successful Porsche racing engine?
Power taken from the centre?
Old 8 Jan 2024, 15:57 (Ref:4191137)   #623
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
The crank journals for each cylinder were shared with the cylinder on the opposite side of the V, rather than having one each. This made the crankshaft lighter. Notably though it didn't make the F1 engine any good!
Old 8 Jan 2024, 16:24 (Ref:4191140)   #624
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Power taken from the centre?
This is the answer I was looking for. The same was done with the flat 12 917 engine. I believe this was done in the 917 to address crankshaft vibration issues. I am not sure why Mezger did it in the F1 engine. I have Metzger's autobiography, so no doubt the version of why that engine failed has his slant on it, but in the 917 the drop gear was below the crank. In the F1 engine it was above the crank. He says it was to reduce the number of shafts in the gearbox (from three to two) as while they could place the crank lower in the case the output shaft was higher. But you have to wonder if maybe there was a bit of "lets mate two of the prior V6 engines together" thinking going on. But I haven't looked to see if the other aspects of the TAG engine carried over or not.

As to the failure of the engine... It sounds like (from his version of things) that overall they had time and resources pressure, they arrived at a specific design before having a team/partner to work with. Overall it seemed underdeveloped. There were disagreements as to how the weight was to be calculated (with or without "ready to race" accessories) as the Cosworth was the benchmark and lastly, the engine was not significantly overweight in "race ready" form and they were on course to get it down to be on par with the Cosworth (new casting for the case with thinner wall castings as prior vendor couldn't cast as thin as they wanted). Same for lack of power as he felt it could be developed up with new heads they were working on.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 8 Jan 2024 at 16:42.
Old 8 Jan 2024, 16:57 (Ref:4191144)   #625
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
This is the answer I was looking for. The same was done with the flat 12 917 engine. I believe this was done in the 917 to address crankshaft vibration issues. I am not sure why Mezger did it in the F1 engine. I have Metzger's autobiography, so no doubt the version of why that engine failed has his slant on it, but in the 917 the drop gear was below the crank. In the F1 engine it was above the crank. He says it was to reduce the number of shafts in the gearbox (from three to two) as while they could place the crank lower in the case the output shaft was higher. But you have to wonder if maybe there was a bit of "lets mate two of the prior V6 engines together" thinking going on. But I haven't looked to see if the other aspects of the TAG engine carried over or not.

As to the failure of the engine... It sounds like (from his version of things) that overall they had time and resources pressure, they arrived at a specific design before having a team/partner to work with. Overall it seemed underdeveloped. There were disagreements as to how the weight was to be calculated (with or without "ready to race" accessories) as the Cosworth was the benchmark and lastly, the engine was not significantly overweight in "race ready" form and they were on course to get it down to be on par with the Cosworth (new casting for the case with thinner wall castings as prior vendor couldn't cast as thin as they wanted). Same for lack of power as he felt it could be developed up with new heads they were working on.

Richard
I always find it interesting to read what was written without the benefit of hindsight:

https://porschecarshistory.com/porsc...rt-mag-121990/