Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 26 Oct 2005, 00:26 (Ref:1443498)   #1
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pull the other one - Schumacher to motogp

Quote:
Seven times F1 World Champion Michael Schumacher took part in a private test held on Monday at the Mugello circuit where, for the very first time, he climbed aboard a MotoGP 990cc prototype.

After MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi had a run on the Ferrari F1 car a few months ago, Schumacher had the opportunity to sample some two-wheel adrenaline on the Ducati Desmosedici. The German driver completed several lap of the Italian circuit and, while being some way off the pace of the GP regulars, reportedly improved his lap times throughout the day-long test.

Schumacher rode one of Ducati's test machines as the factory team was on its way back from Istanbul following the inaugural Turkish Grand Prix last weekend. Former rider Randy Mamola attended the session to give some advice to Ferrari's star driver and also gave him a ride on the Ducati two-seater.

motogp.com
Old 26 Oct 2005, 00:44 (Ref:1443504)   #2
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He achieved a best time in the 2m 8s bracket compared to Rossi's pole time of 1m 49.2s so I can't see him moving to MotoGP any time soon

Schummy on 2 wheels
Old 26 Oct 2005, 02:56 (Ref:1443538)   #3
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He would have had some trouble coming to terms with the longer braking distances and the decreased grip in the turns.

I wonder if he was taking it easy though, because im sure if he was say pushing it and he had an accident, and broke his neck... Ferrari wouldnt be overly pleased.

Valentino could push the Ferrari F1 car because there is much less risk involved if he spins off the track or hits a barrier.

I think MS would be quicker on a bike if he wanted to be.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 04:25 (Ref:1443561)   #4
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't imagine any F1 drivers out there (Damon Hill the exception perhaps) being able to come to any sort of terms with a MotoGP bike. Its such a whole other thing controlling a racing bike anywhere near the limit, dealing with front and rear sliding and frankly, just hammering something with over 200 hp and weighing whatever they weigh. I can't imagine what it is like, having never ridden anything with a power to weight ratio like these things.

One thing though, go back 15-20 years or more and the absolutely wicked powerbands of the 500 2-strokes wouldn't have let any car guy get away with a "ride". From what I understand, the last of the two strokes were already so much easier to ride compared to before, so I imagine the four strokes are relatively more sane--again though, none of us can imagine what it feels like on these things, so if must have been a real hand-gripping experience for TGF, gotta hand it to him for giving it a go.

(and gotta wonder how I would have done, less than 18 secs off pole-who knows, doubt it though)
Old 26 Oct 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1443687)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The time he posted is pretty respectable, given how insanely fast those MotoGP guys are, especially Rossi.
Not really competitive, but respectable nonetheless.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 00:12 (Ref:1444620)   #6
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Schumacher could never race in MotoGP lawl! He doesn't have the physical fittness lawl! He isn't used to the breaking distances lawl! He's be horrible lawl! He has no chance!

Sorry, someone had to say it.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 03:24 (Ref:1444693)   #7
asha
Veteran

Hazza,
While I agree MS could never do it, I disagree with the bit about his fitness level. The guy is super fit.

edit:
seriously 40 laps (at the reasonably long Megello circuit) on a motogp bike is a more then a decent stint.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1444829)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hehehe

I was beeing sarcastic in response to this thread that was going on a while ago.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1445635)   #9
asha
Veteran

AH!

I was just absorbed by the fact that he did 40 laps. Thats a pretty decent track day, i'm sure he was sore after that!
Old 28 Oct 2005, 04:49 (Ref:1445669)   #10
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From Derek Walker (ex-F1, owner of 888 Engineering) on Panelbeaters V8 radio show: Derek had gotten a ride with Randy Mamola on the 2-seat Ducati at Donington. As it was running late, a little damp, his ride was reduced from 3 laps to 2. He was upset and about to complain but went anyway. Going down the Kraner Curves, he thought to himself - I wouldn't want to do 3 laps on this thing.

That's not exact, obviously, but tells you something about the bikes
Old 29 Oct 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1447011)   #11
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rossi to ferrari and schumi to ducati?! cool
is dchumi only alowed to ride/drive marlboro machines?
Old 29 Oct 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1447031)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephino
From Derek Walker (ex-F1, owner of 888 Engineering) on Panelbeaters V8 radio show: Derek had gotten a ride with Randy Mamola on the 2-seat Ducati at Donington. As it was running late, a little damp, his ride was reduced from 3 laps to 2. He was upset and about to complain but went anyway. Going down the Kraner Curves, he thought to himself - I wouldn't want to do 3 laps on this thing.

That's not exact, obviously, but tells you something about the bikes
Derek Warwick
Old 30 Oct 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1447386)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's right KB, I had to think about that for a moment.

Motorbikes are extremely tough to ride, especially with the power-weight ratio and intense G-Forces of a modern racing bike. That Michael would be further from the pace than Valé is in an F1 car is hardly surprising - in relative terms cars are easier. Good point that Michael will have been wary of pushing to the limit in case you go over the limit (notice how often Michale goes off in F1 practice sessions, but rarely in the races - to find the limit you have to exceed it first).