Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 5 May 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2684904)   #1
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring(but with a tweest!)

It's come out that there is a consortium looking to buy Don Panoz's racing property and the ALMS. Let's say this consortium takes it off Panoz's hands, and begins a project to bring the USGP to it's original home. The catch? They believe in the sanctity of the first, last and penultimate corner, and the challenge it represents to sportscar drivers, and wish to keep this part untouched. How would you attack it?

I'll go first:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3702111
Old 5 May 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2684949)   #2
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the layout is just too short. 2.2-some-odd miles doesn't cut it nowadays.

And the sunset bend/frontstretch section is just as iconic as other portions of the circuit, so I think any Sebring redux would need to include it.
Old 5 May 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2684966)   #3
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
I think the layout is just too short. 2.2-some-odd miles doesn't cut it nowadays.

And the sunset bend/frontstretch section is just as iconic as other portions of the circuit, so I think any Sebring redux would need to include it.
Yeah, but it would kill the challenge of the circuit for the sportscars.
Old 5 May 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2685027)   #4
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
3.6km is probably too short for a new F1 facility. To be honest, if you consider Sebring a good idea for F1, is there anything wrong with the current circuit?
Old 5 May 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2685028)   #5
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you're using the airport's parking area, I'm assuming the rest of the taxiways and runway is fair game too?

I may have cheated slightly here, the first, last and penultimate corners are unused but you didn't say anything about the straights that connected them, so I'm borrowing the start-finish straight! (I struggled to see anywhere else obvious to build the paddock)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3702768
Old 5 May 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2685029)   #6
Helicon_One
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
3.6km is probably too short for a new F1 facility. To be honest, if you consider Sebring a good idea for F1, is there anything wrong with the current circuit?
The track is so bumpy that it would destroy F1 cars unless it was totally repaved - the 12 hour ALMS race beats up the sportscars so badly that its seen as good practise for the 24hr Le Mans race, and smoothing it out would remove this attraction.
Old 5 May 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2685030)   #7
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicon_One View Post
As you're using the airport's parking area, I'm assuming the rest of the taxiways and runway is fair game too?

I may have cheated slightly here, the first, last and penultimate corners are unused but you didn't say anything about the straights that connected them, so I'm borrowing the start-finish straight! (I struggled to see anywhere else obvious to build the paddock)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3702768
The taxi ways and the tarmac are in, can't use the main strip, though. The one with the markings and what looks to be asphalt is out of bounds.
Old 5 May 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2685039)   #8
Helicon_One
Rookie

ok, in that case I'll completely abuse the taxiways and make something ridiculously fast!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3702831
Old 5 May 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2685061)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
It's come out that there is a consortium looking to buy Don Panoz's racing property and the ALMS. Let's say this consortium takes it off Panoz's hands, and begins a project to bring the USGP to it's original home. The catch? They believe in the sanctity of the first, last and penultimate corner, and the challenge it represents to sportscar drivers, and wish to keep this part untouched. How would you attack it?

I'll go first:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3702111
In terms of minimising the changes since what's the point if it's not the Sebring circuit, I don't think you'd be that far off.
Only real change I'd make is to include the Aircraft Apron section, only I'd put the S/F on the Southern Straight rather than the current S/F
Like this
Old 6 May 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2685405)   #10
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mine - I think I just about kept inside the rules. I'm thinking F1 as well so bear in mind how the F1 cars would handle it. I think it would be very challenging - some very fast corners. In particular I love the last corner sequence, and also the second sequence - a real challenge in an F1 car
Old 6 May 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2685447)   #11
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	26403

Yes, it's a shade long, but 3 long back stretches and a flowing initial section section should have opportunities.
Old 9 May 2010, 22:05 (Ref:2687570)   #12
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all, I must admit that I'm rather very unfamiliar with Sebring. Hence, if my attempt might just a replication of a previous layout. Yet, I tried sticking as closely as possible to the features from the satellite picture which looked like they are a racetrack. At a little under 7 kilometers, my design is rather long and the left-hander that follows the 3km mark might not be possible at all for a lack of runoff. But apart from that, all other runoff extensions should be possible.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3712650
Old 10 May 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2688291)   #13
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicon_One View Post
ok, in that case I'll completely abuse the taxiways and make something ridiculously fast!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3702831
Whoa - I like that. Those corners would be fantastic to watch!