Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2955324)   #26
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess is that Briscoe goes to NASCAR, like most IndyCar drivers these days...

Na i'm just kidding, I bet he takes over some smaller ride, or Helio goes, which seems more viable.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:33 (Ref:2955332)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... what if the Lotus engine isnt the real deal... can the other 2 step up to supply more cars? Or more accurately, do they want to?
Engine Suppliers Talk Tough

See.. there is always an answer Although not one anybody will like...

There are some solid midfield cars still looking for engines...

I wonder if a team who currently isnt contracted, chooses to go to Honda or Chevrolet and offers US$990k for a single car engine lease, even though it is ~$300k more than the likes of Penske or Ganassi are paying, whether they would actually be accepted as a customer?

It may be the solution, as long as the situation doesnt get like the Chev powerplants of the '90's, with Chev A's and Chev B's depending on your budget...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Sep 2011, 16:23 (Ref:2955511)   #28
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
My guess is that Briscoe goes to NASCAR, like most IndyCar drivers these days...

Na i'm just kidding, I bet he takes over some smaller ride, or Helio goes, which seems more viable.
He probably would try to go to Nascar as there are few other paying rides in the series.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2957527)   #29
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
INDYCAR: Michael Shank Racing Set For 2012 Debut:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...or-2012-debut/

In your opinion who will be the driver for Micheal Shank Racing? An ex-GrandAm driver or an IndyCar veteran? An US or an european rookie?
Old 18 Sep 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2957540)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
INDYCAR: Michael Shank Racing Set For 2012 Debut:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...or-2012-debut/

In your opinion who will be the driver for Micheal Shank Racing? An ex-GrandAm driver or an IndyCar veteran? An US or an european rookie?
Depends where the budget came from to set up... will be a big ask to come from nothing in this series...

So is the Lotus/Judd actually happening? D-Day was the 15th wasnt it?
Old 18 Sep 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2957798)   #31
marcostraz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Depends where the budget came from to set up... will be a big ask to come from nothing in this series...

So is the Lotus/Judd actually happening? D-Day was the 15th wasnt it?
One possible option for Michael Shank Racing could be Justin Wilson, who is free agent next year...he runs the 2011 Daytona 24h for them...
Old 19 Sep 2011, 16:49 (Ref:2958127)   #32
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Not a bad choice... for Shank. Wilson deserves a solid ride, it's too bad he can't get one.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2959179)   #33
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IndyCar boss Randy Bernard would be very interested in Räikkönen attracting his series attraction.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 21:34 (Ref:2959736)   #34
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So if Wheldon does not drive the #7 Andretti Autosport machine next year, who else could be next on the list? Helio? That choice would also solve Penske's problem of going from 3 to 2 cars, sort of, wouldn't it?
Old 23 Sep 2011, 07:25 (Ref:2959847)   #35
marcostraz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
So if Wheldon does not drive the #7 Andretti Autosport machine next year, who else could be next on the list? Helio? That choice would also solve Penske's problem of going from 3 to 2 cars, sort of, wouldn't it?
I think Helio will stay with Penske (he is a Penske man, like Mears in the 80s)...if Penske cut his program from 3 to 2 cars, I expect to see Briscoe fired...who could be the #7 driver? I doubt Wheldon...my suppositions: Bourdais, Briscoe, Tagliani, Hulkenberg, Wilson, Baguette...or a big, surprising name (Raikkonen?)...
Old 23 Sep 2011, 09:48 (Ref:2959877)   #36
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was mentioned earlier in the thread but it's been officially announced that Jean Alesi will enter the Indy 500 "in a Lotus powered by the new Lotus IndyCar engine" - whatever that means!

http://www.lotuscars.com/news/en/alesi-indy500
Old 23 Sep 2011, 10:25 (Ref:2959889)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos View Post
It was mentioned earlier in the thread but it's been officially announced that Jean Alesi will enter the Indy 500 "in a Lotus powered by the new Lotus IndyCar engine" - whatever that means!

Still no signs of any teams signed up to their engine program..
Old 23 Sep 2011, 11:00 (Ref:2959898)   #38
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos View Post

What complete dross. Someone needs to tell them Alesi will be driving a Dallara, and no PR bull**** will change that fact. If this actually happens.

Even if the aero kits see the light of day in 2013, I'd be uncomfortable calling a Dallara with Lotus kit a "Lotus".
Old 23 Sep 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2959933)   #39
marcostraz
Veteran

If Alesi think that he's going for a walk he make a big mistake...if next year there will be the same entry list of this year, I think that it's just hard the qualification for a driver that is 47 yo, with 0 experience not only in Indy (which is already a complex system of its own), but generally on an oval, and that is basically 10 years who retired (at least from open wheel racing)...
Old 23 Sep 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2959956)   #40
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess this Alesi press release is just Lotus saying "yes, we are commited to IndyCar". But why don't they sign up teams for engine contracts then?
Old 23 Sep 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2960007)   #41
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
What complete dross. Someone needs to tell them Alesi will be driving a Dallara, and no PR bull**** will change that fact. If this actually happens.

Even if the aero kits see the light of day in 2013, I'd be uncomfortable calling a Dallara with Lotus kit a "Lotus".
Well, his official website does mention Dallara, and prominently:

Quote:
Dallara, équipe qui m’avait permis de gagner le championnat de F3 en 1987 avec un chassis f386 puis f387, me soutient aussi dans cette aventure en mettant * ma disposition leur simulateur dans lequel j’ai déj* enchainé quelques heures pour me sensibiliser aux caractéristiques propres des voitures de cette discipline que je découvre en tant que pilote.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2960038)   #42
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post

I guess he doesn't want to sail into retirement without setting off metal detectors all over the world after Dr. Trammiel puts him back together again.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2960066)   #43
marcostraz
Veteran

I think that all depends on what attitude he will go...if he is going with an attitude like "I'm the great champion came from Formula 1", thinking of having an easy life, he is making a enormous mistake...also beacuse, whatever a lot of europeans say, there isn't a lot of Formula 1 drivers who have arrived and have been fast on ovals and winning immediatly...if he goes with humility and respect for the place where he is presenting, he could make something good...that is, less than surprised, first of all qualifying...a victory seems quite utopian, even if the Lotus engines will be clearly the strongest...even then, there will still be brandmates to beat...well, it's better that he realize that is unlikely to aspire to something more than qualification that, as I said, would be a great result if the scenario will be that same of last year...
Old 23 Sep 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2960174)   #44
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
I guess this Alesi press release is just Lotus saying "yes, we are commited to IndyCar". But why don't they sign up teams for engine contracts then?
Alesi does work for Lotus, so I would treat it merely as a press release rather than anything fixed in place. There is no sign of Lotus Judd other than apparently they are working on an engine, so it is said. No word on Rodeo Randy's visit to kick some butt over there 2 weeks ago.

We all know the facts on Lotus, it is perched on a precarious edge, I would not count on them to come through.
Old 24 Sep 2011, 00:15 (Ref:2960233)   #45
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Well, his official website does mention Dallara, and prominently:
I'm not blaming Alesi, just whoever wrote that press release

Anyway, I hope this happens, it would be good to see him take on such a challenge, although I wish Lotus would clarify what's going on with the Lotus/Judd engine situation before shouting about it.
Old 24 Sep 2011, 05:54 (Ref:2960280)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It would be interesting to think of Dale Coyne Racing as the Lotus 'works' team
Old 24 Sep 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2960340)   #47
marcostraz
Veteran

Chevrolet is going with some of the best teams (Penske, Andretti, KV)...
Old 24 Sep 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2960442)   #48
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
If Alesi wants to have a shot he should. Although I'm not impressed with his attitude. A few dial-in oval races would indicate his seriousness particularily as ovals bite as old Piquet found out. He doesn't want to do that and that's being quite cocky, IMO.

The Alesi thing very well might not come to pass. Lotus is looking dodgy and it'll take more than a flashy press release to persuade me otherwise.
Old 24 Sep 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2960445)   #49
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Alesi but I predict he will not qualify

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 24 Sep 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2960518)   #50
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Yes, his last open wheel race was Japan 2001. He's telling us he's going to win the next one, the next race being the race where even dye-in-wool veterans find it hard to qualify. Johnny Herbert #2 coming up.