Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 27 Oct 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1751257)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NASCAR Busch Series: Sam's Town 250, Memphis. (SPOILERS)

NASCAR Busch Series moves to Memphis this week.

No real talking points, no, wait, Montoya is making his Busch debut. Another step towards the Nextel Cup debut.

He has not sounded confident, saying that Memphis is probably not a great place to debut, but he has to start somewhere!

The titles are settled so it could be real fun until the end of the season!
Old 28 Oct 2006, 01:19 (Ref:1751619)   #2
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These are the practice speeds at Memphis before the rains came. Montoya looks good:

http://bgnracing.com/modules.php?nam...=view&rid=1198
Old 28 Oct 2006, 09:03 (Ref:1751781)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya was 8th?
Old 28 Oct 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1751943)   #4
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Montoya was 8th?
Where do you get 8th. Montoya had the 4th quickest lap.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1751989)   #5
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was 8th in 2nd practice.
He was 4th in 1st practice.

Rob.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1752018)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
At which time (BST or CET) starts the Busch race?
Old 29 Oct 2006, 02:30 (Ref:1752335)   #7
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/s...d=2&id=2641921

Harvick rolls at Memphis; Montoya 11th in Busch debutAssociated Press

MILLINGTON, Tenn. -- Juan Pablo Montoya looked nothing like the "idiot" he feared he would be in his NASCAR debut, but he showed he has a lot to learn before he'll be challenging for wins alongside the likes of Kevin Harvick and Co.

Juan Pablo Montoya on his NASCAR debut: "It was pretty wild, to be honest. I learned today you have to pace yourself."
Harvick raced to his eighth Busch Series victory of the season Saturday, capitalizing on Carl Edwards' sloppy restart in overtime at Memphis Motorsports Park to pull to the front and lead teammate Clint Bowyer across the finish line.

Montoya was nowhere near the action, though, after an accident midway through his first NASCAR event contributed to his 11th-place finish. But no one expected him to win in his first race, and his Chip Ganassi Racing team was thrilled with the learning effort.

"It was pretty wild, to be honest," he said. "I learned today you have to pace yourself."

As Ganassi surveyed his damaged No. 42 Dodge, he declared it "mission accomplished" for the former Formula One star and didn't at all mind the crumpled bumpers.

"Style points are for the runway during Fashion Week," Ganassi said.

Montoya qualified ninth and spent the first 148 laps of the race running in the top 10. But he bobbled his Dodge going into one of the tight turns at the 0.75-mile Tennessee track and was tagged from behind by Jason Keller. It sent Montoya into a spin, and forced him to quickly figure out what he had done wrong.

"I lost the back [of the car] coming in," he radioed to his crew. "It was my fault completely."

The accident pushed Montoya back to 30th on the restart, and he spent the rest of the race picking off cars and working his way back through the field. But there were bumps along the way: He spun at least two other cars and struggled to figure out NASCAR's give-and-take policy.

"I spun around a couple of guys, but both of them -- my front bumper was in their door when it happened," he said. "I said, 'I need to try to stop doing that because I am damaging my car.'

"But there are some guys out there who would race like its the last lap. It feels like kindergarten out there."

Montoya's race drew compliments from Harvick, the series champion who declared himself a Montoya fan.

"I'd say they were probably very pleased with the fact that they made all the laps and did what they had to do to gain experience," Harvick said. "He's going to be good. He's got really good car control and he wants to race really bad. They didn't really like the way he raced in Formula One, but I think it will fit him just fine here."

Last edited by Hazza; 29 Oct 2006 at 08:51.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1754663)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just finished watching this race.

Absolutely fantastic stuff from Montoya IMO. He has shown quite well thus far, but I suppose it is a track that will suit him a bit more.

Will be interesting to see how it goes at the rather different Texas venue this weekend. I'm not getting too excited yet, but it looks promising.

Fingers crossed.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1754679)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

And his attitude remains fantastic, which kind of proves he is having fun.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1754767)   #10
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
And his attitude remains fantastic, which kind of proves he is having fun.
Heck, they all have fun. It is the best racing around. The "good ole days" were even better.
Old 1 Nov 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1755178)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I miss from the good old days is Dale "I didn't mean to spin him around" Earnhardt.

Last edited by Hazza; 1 Nov 2006 at 11:32.
Old 1 Nov 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1755334)   #12
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha, I actually watched that same video a couple of hours ago, Terry got robbed. There's a vid of the 1976 and 79 Daytona 500 finishes in there too, take a look at them, great watching .

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 1 Nov 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1755499)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
Heck, they all have fun. It is the best racing around. The "good ole days" were even better.
Oh yeah, for sure.

But it must be easy to get onto that series and become frustrated. It's a rough, tough old game!

There is some great stuff on youtube....I was watching the reception Earnhardt received when he won the 500 in 1998 or something. I wasn't watching back then of course, sure wish I was.
Old 2 Nov 2006, 03:48 (Ref:1755856)   #14
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Off-topic. This is the car that Terry Labonte will be driving in his last race. Terry will be missed in Nascar as he was a good guy.