Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Aug 2023, 14:34 (Ref:4171873)   #101
GT3_Fan
Racer

GT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGT3_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I was thinking about Madison during the race today and qualifying yesterday. He is so quick for an am, and has been reclassified in the past, but BMW should just pay him. I guess with this announcement that is what is happening?
I wonder if PMR decided to go GTD Pro due to the extra endurance race being put in. So that is 5 races where they can have a 3rd BMW factory pro driver to join Madison and Bryan now. Overall winning contender for sure with that driver line up.
Old 8 Aug 2023, 16:46 (Ref:4171883)   #102
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
How do we feel about 2023 gtd cars being ahead of gtd pro cars in 2024? Surely switching mirror and wing endplate colors can't excuse the travesty..
Old 8 Aug 2023, 20:27 (Ref:4171896)   #103
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
Toyota I don't think so but Ferrari is likely indeed (Risi entry?) and I'd love to see that happen Another thing - will Lambo race at Daytona? I haven't seen any clear answer from them, only something like "maybe, we'll see".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Lambo feels Daytona comes too early but you'll never know.

Ferrari's Daytona 'momentum' seems to have slowed down as well.
There was talk of a Sebring debut at the Road America race broadcast this past weekend. I think that is a safer bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3_Fan View Post
Probably the full season entry list reveal
Well, yes, but in the interview with Doonan I saw it made it sound like there will be a surprise on the entry list.
Old 8 Aug 2023, 20:36 (Ref:4171897)   #104
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
How do we feel about 2023 gtd cars being ahead of gtd pro cars in 2024? Surely switching mirror and wing endplate colors can't excuse the travesty..
You have to change out endplates if you are leading, make some quick release tabs cause you can't win overall wearing green by rule
Old 9 Aug 2023, 09:09 (Ref:4171929)   #105
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Listening to TWISC and trying to join some dots...

Shank to leave at the end of this year. Take a year out and then return in 2025 running Alpines. Sounds plausible if Alpine are actually serious about the US market.
Old 9 Aug 2023, 14:37 (Ref:4171994)   #106
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
A Michael Shank switch to Hypercar?
Old 9 Aug 2023, 15:14 (Ref:4171998)   #107
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Clashes are a result of tv airtime requirements, according to IMSA. Not giving potential adjustments much chance.
Let's so some math:

* IMSA, IGTC, GTWC and DTM shouldn't clash with FIA WEC.
* IMSA shouldn't clash with IGTC.
* IGTC and GTWC shouldn't clash with DTM.

What's the result?

* IMSA may clash with DTM and GTWC, except IGTC rounds.

Does that make sense?
Old 9 Aug 2023, 19:02 (Ref:4172014)   #108
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ok so you're offering 5 series there. Lets do some event math

WEC-8 rounds
IMSA-10 rounds
IGTC-4 rounds
GTWC-10 rounds
DTM-8 rounds

Say there are 10ish weeks of the year to exclude, Dec and Jan appear to be out for most of the tracks as there is not much Southern hemisphere running for the majority and honestly drivers and team probably need the time. Add in a few missed weeks in spring as well to get around uncertain weather so 10 seems fair. So we ae down to 42 there. We have then 40 rounds between the series purely for races alone. That's the entire year right there. Add in any testing, travel, rest, etc and you have to have conflicts between the series.

That's ignoring any other series who want to push their weight around and conflicts with track use, and then add in requirements of other series partnering with that series and their schedules.
Old 9 Aug 2023, 23:57 (Ref:4172031)   #109
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post

Would I be annoyed if I was a Lime Rock local?

It’s just been poor. And you certainly wouldn’t get anyone traveling far for it.
1) Yes. No exceptions. You need to appreciate how little professional motorsport we have on offer in this corner of the U.S. that doesn't include turning left for 300 laps with a fanbase full of idle racists. The saving grace with this being the ONLY reason it was left off the calendar is due to the Olympics and the utter monopoly NBC's TV rights hold over it. No matter, Lime Rock will return in '25 to it's rightful and deserved place on the calendar as has been the case for nearly 25 editions now.

2) With respect, you would only say that if you've never been to the circuit yourself for the NE Grand Prix, and I'm willing to hedge that you haven't. What does it matter if you don't think anyone would travel far for it if the circuit itself enjoyed one of if not the strongest attendances for this year's meeting? Clearly there continues to be a healthy appetite for such a "poor" weekend program.

In the meantime, time to undergo an 8 hour roadtrip to The Watkins 6hr next year because the Olympics have run me straight outta' options.

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 10 Aug 2023 at 00:03.
Old 10 Aug 2023, 11:37 (Ref:4172066)   #110
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
1) Yes. No exceptions. You need to appreciate how little professional motorsport we have on offer in this corner of the U.S. that doesn't include turning left for 300 laps with a fanbase full of idle racists. The saving grace with this being the ONLY reason it was left off the calendar is due to the Olympics and the utter monopoly NBC's TV rights hold over it. No matter, Lime Rock will return in '25 to it's rightful and deserved place on the calendar as has been the case for nearly 25 editions now.

2) With respect, you would only say that if you've never been to the circuit yourself for the NE Grand Prix, and I'm willing to hedge that you haven't. What does it matter if you don't think anyone would travel far for it if the circuit itself enjoyed one of if not the strongest attendances for this year's meeting? Clearly there continues to be a healthy appetite for such a "poor" weekend program.

In the meantime, time to undergo an 8 hour roadtrip to The Watkins 6hr next year because the Olympics have run me straight outta' options.
Thanks, I had completely forgotten about the i think 6 week window of TV hell the NBC networks have for the "event." Makes the IMSA schedule even more restricted if they want a TV package that isn't all streaming.

Oh and for the streaming is the future folks, Disney has lost close to 20 BILLION on Disney+ and ESPN streaming packages since roll out. Yeah, it ain't quite there yet for major marketing of things that aren't "water-cooler" events
Old 11 Aug 2023, 23:55 (Ref:4172223)   #111
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like MSR will be stepping away from IMSA and heading to IndyCar for '24. With Hello Castroneves as a part owner. Wouldn't be surprised if that tire pressure issue at Daytona may have been part of it, but there's more that we probably don't know that put paid to the move.

Bet that this was how WTR/Andretti Racing got that 2nd Acura for next year.
Old 12 Aug 2023, 08:28 (Ref:4172261)   #112
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
Seems so, from this article it's pretty clear MSR lost their Acura even if it's not officially confirmed yet:
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/m...up-in-the-air/
Blomqvist will land at IndyCar with same team but for Colin Braun this is very bad news. I hope Wayne Taylor hires him as a full season driver in that second Acura or at least as an endurance driver.
Old 12 Aug 2023, 09:20 (Ref:4172266)   #113
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
Looks like MSR will be stepping away from IMSA and heading to IndyCar for '24. With Hello Castroneves as a part owner. Wouldn't be surprised if that tire pressure issue at Daytona may have been part of it, but there's more that we probably don't know that put paid to the move.

I'd like to invoke karma here, but leaving/being pushed out of IMSA to move full-time to IndyCar, with Helio, would be at worst a sideways step for Shank, provided it's a full-season effort.

WTR/Andretti getting both Acuras was always the plan though, regardless of certain tyre shenanigans.
Old 12 Aug 2023, 11:02 (Ref:4172279)   #114
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post

Just to clarify, I'm on Lime Rock's side here. It's a wonderful circuit and one near the top of my bucket list but as someone who lives in the UK and has to carefully pick and choose what IMSA events to attend, it's a shame that I can't justify the travel and expense because of the poor show IMSA put on there. I'm happy to see the record crowds and long may it continue, but I think the track deserves more from IMSA.

A 10-15 car GT race and 14-car TCR exclusive Pilot Challenge race is poor form. However, the addition of two VP Challenge races was a nice bonus this year - better than last year when it was just GT and MPC!

In comparison to 10+ years ago when Lime Rock had ALMS (all classes), Grand Am and PWC. The ALMS races there were some of my favourites.
Old 12 Aug 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4172292)   #115
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I'd like to invoke karma here, but leaving/being pushed out of IMSA to move full-time to IndyCar, with Helio, would be at worst a sideways step for Shank, provided it's a full-season effort.

WTR/Andretti getting both Acuras was always the plan though, regardless of certain tyre shenanigans.
Reducing their overall racing program from full-time IMSA and full time Indy to just full-time Indy can't be a sideways move, has to just be worse doesn't it? And Helio is retiring from driving everywhere but Indy.
Old 12 Aug 2023, 12:42 (Ref:4172295)   #116
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Reducing their overall racing program from full-time IMSA and full time Indy to just full-time Indy can't be a sideways move, has to just be worse doesn't it? And Helio is retiring from driving everywhere but Indy.
I didn't realise MSR was already doing a full Indy season (shows you how much I know).

In that case, it becomes clearer. Karma has, inadvertently or otherwise, won out.
Old 12 Aug 2023, 13:41 (Ref:4172303)   #117
tomcug
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
How do you know? Second WTR Acura for 2024 was announced after MSR's tyre pressure manipulation at Daytona had surfaced. For Taylor/Andretti cooperation maybe having two cars was always the plan indeed but for HPD? Not sure about it. Also I bet Shank probably knew he's losing his car already in March.
Old 12 Aug 2023, 14:04 (Ref:4172306)   #118
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
How do you know? Second WTR Acura for 2024 was announced after MSR's tyre pressure manipulation at Daytona had surfaced. For Taylor/Andretti cooperation maybe having two cars was always the plan indeed but for HPD? Not sure about it. Also I bet Shank probably knew he's losing his car already in March.
Why would WTR, with their success, need to partner with Andretti in the first place? They were already better resourced than most (all?) privateers; they didn't need to form a partnership for their single entry. I don't see either WRT or Andretti partnering speculatively on the chance that they get another ARX-06, either the third or effectively taking MSR's. They likely had some form of assurance that a second ARX-06 would be coming their way.
Old 12 Aug 2023, 15:55 (Ref:4172324)   #119
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not to mention, it puts WTR/Andretti in a better position to contest Le Mans, depending on wether Honda chooses to "pick up the tab" on such an endeavor. Both Wayne and Michael want to go, and having a 2-car effort makes it easier.
Old 12 Aug 2023, 16:04 (Ref:4172325)   #120
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
WTR and Andretti announced they were working together well before the Acura announcement. They are working together on other projects and it was rumored to be a path out for Wayne to get money out of his investment.

If you think they went from Daytona to announcement in March of another car for the team because of the tire issue, will I've got a bridge to sell ya. That's not something they spur of the moment decided
Old 17 Aug 2023, 14:42 (Ref:4173099)   #121
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
The merry-go-round begins:

- Aitken replaces Sims at Action Express
- Sims replaces Jordan Taylor at Corvette
- Deletraz & Jordan Taylor in the second WTR/Andretti Acura
Old 17 Aug 2023, 14:43 (Ref:4173100)   #122
tomcug
Veteran

So no Colin Braun in either of the Acuras (full season at least).
Old 17 Aug 2023, 14:51 (Ref:4173102)   #123
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
So no Colin Braun in either of the Acuras (full season at least).
Assuming he was available for the full season, it would be a tough call. But Deletraz and Taylor are at least equal to Braun, and both have the advantage of experience at WTR.
Old 17 Aug 2023, 15:51 (Ref:4173108)   #124
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
So, the Taylor family will be together again for next season, with two cars to boot.

That just leaves Ganassi and AXR, as to wether Cadillac will keep them as single car teams or have either run a second car. My money is on Ganassi...
Old 17 Aug 2023, 16:31 (Ref:4173114)   #125
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I feel the continuation of the Shank Acura or a 3rd Caddy is wishful thinking at this stage.

Is it me or is the LMDh (GTP) momentum starting to stall already?