Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Nov 2002, 12:51 (Ref:422920)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Massa joins Ferrari

According to reports in the Blick newspaper, Felipe Massa will replace Luciano Burti as 2nd Ferrari tester in 2003.

Burti told the paper that his contract for 2003 was not renewed, due to Massa's arrival in the team.

Massa is under long term contract to Ferrari, so presumably this moves enables them to evaluate him at first hand.

There has been no confirmation from Ferrari as yet.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 13:02 (Ref:422924)   #2
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is surely a mistake by Ferrari. Massa is quick and could be very good at evaluating their crash protection, but as a development driver? I don't think so
Old 6 Nov 2002, 13:22 (Ref:422941)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds like a good description of Burti as well there Woodbine, Prost's 2001 crash protection was clearly working alright at Hockenheim and Spa. Ferrari are hoping to replace Burti with a better equivalent, Massa appears to be the more skilled of the two.

The intention, if this is true, is surely to use Badoer for car development, and Massa to develop as a driver for the long term, he can learn a lot from Schumacher. Ferrari obviously feel that he has promise but needs rounding before he can challenge for good results on a regular basis.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 13:31 (Ref:422953)   #4
Colin Mason
Rookie

Colin Mason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant believe Ferrari have chosen Massa, he has no car control what so ever. He spends more time in the gravel than on the black stuff.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 13:48 (Ref:422968)   #5
Burton
Rookie

Burton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame for Burti, he has done a very solid job for Ferrari this year, what now for him?
Congrats on his upcoming marrige though!
Strange choice to replace him with Massa, it's not like Ferrari can't keep them all on to further dominate in the future.........
Old 6 Nov 2002, 13:54 (Ref:422975)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, that needs confirmation.

Massa spoke on TV last night, in his training for the go-kart 500 miles, for Tic-tac team. He said that he is 90% certain that he'll be in the grid for 2003. :confused:
Old 6 Nov 2002, 14:25 (Ref:422988)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't really see a logical reason why Ferrari couldn't keep both of them. (other than becoming a Brazilian team that is )

Anyway. Massa has potential. Doesn't have many little gray cells though. A year of scolarship in the best team can do no harm to him. I'm not sure what's worse: testing at Ferrari or driving for Arrows.

COrrection. I AM sure what's better.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 15:37 (Ref:423024)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It seems to me that Ferrari may be grooming him to take a race seat in the future, this could well have been agreed for some time and might be why Frentzen is in at Sauber.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 15:53 (Ref:423036)   #9
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone at Ferrari likes Massa...I don't think he's that deserving of a test drive though.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 6 Nov 2002, 18:58 (Ref:423142)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Colin Mason
I cant believe Ferrari have chosen Massa, he has no car control what so ever. He spends more time in the gravel than on the black stuff.
Colin, were you watching the same races as me this year? I'll agree that he put it in the gravel a few times, but car control is one thing he does have.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:05 (Ref:423154)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, that's one thing he has... and one he doesn't, is a cool head to accept team orders.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:31 (Ref:423179)   #12
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesnt appear sound logic to replace Massa with Burti but then Ferrari are not logical at what they do.
I am suprised the main test driver (forgotten his name so he must be good) has stayed with Ferrari so long and not got a full time F1 drive.
Personally I would rather drive a dust cart than drive for a bunch of arogant bunch who think fixing results is motor racing.
Put that Schmacher bloke as test driver and bring in Button
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:38 (Ref:423185)   #13
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Logic are not I would love to see massa behind the wheel of a ferrari 2002 just to see his lap times. I bet he wouldnt have to work as hard as he did with the sauber.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:38 (Ref:423186)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I enjoyed watching Massa last year (sometimes for the right reasons, sometimes the wrong? ).

I'm not sure how suited he is to testing. Although he is suited to racing - one of the few (the only?) drivers who managed to overtake at Imola this year!

Joining Ferrari is a good move (if it's true), but how easy is it to get back into racing after testing nowadays. Panis did it and seet a trend, but drivers like Wurz and Gene haven't followed suit. I suppose it'll depend on how well he does...

But if he reckons he will be on the grid, I wonder what he is talking about?
Old 6 Nov 2002, 20:46 (Ref:423237)   #15
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TGF retiring, perhaps?

Nah, thought not.

Guy, the main test driver whose name you've forgotten is Luca Badoer. There are many of us who believe he has been overlooked, and that he should have a first team drive by now.

Massa wasn't quite the revelation which many regarded he would be, but he did get the better of Nick on occasion. Still, he needs experience. Like Adam, I'm not quite sure how good he will be as a tester - and it will probably mean make or break in terms of whether or not he will return to the grid, I suppose. Only time will tell.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 21:20 (Ref:423272)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can think of other people more deserving of Ferrari's praise (and race seats).

Did someone mention Fisichella?
Old 6 Nov 2002, 21:55 (Ref:423318)   #17
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisichella in the ferrari that sounds good
Old 6 Nov 2002, 22:07 (Ref:423324)   #18
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by R
TGF retiring, perhaps?

Nah, thought not.

Guy, the main test driver whose name you've forgotten is Luca Badoer. There are many of us who believe he has been overlooked, and that he should have a first team drive by now.

Massa wasn't quite the revelation which many regarded he would be, but he did get the better of Nick on occasion. Still, he needs experience. Like Adam, I'm not quite sure how good he will be as a tester - and it will probably mean make or break in terms of whether or not he will return to the grid, I suppose. Only time will tell.
Badoer has been offered drives by teams- mid to low order but likes ferrari to much. Pls with 3 car teams a possibility he would be silly to leave ferrari..
Old 6 Nov 2002, 23:08 (Ref:423364)   #19
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd really love to see Gene and Wurz in seats again, but alas I fear it may not happen.

Massa has to impress at Ferrari - unfortunately I think his only hope if he goes to the Scuderia is in 2004 when TGF and the Schumi massive retire.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 23:24 (Ref:423376)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well 'beggers can't be choosers' is the first thing that comes to mind.

A testing seat with the best team in F1 is'nt anything to snnez at, I'd offer my left you know what for that job (if I had'nt already used it as a teenage boy for someone ... errr... something else).
Old 6 Nov 2002, 23:37 (Ref:423385)   #21
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa may be in for a seasons testing and it may be very good for him because he's so young. Most ex F1 test drivers end up there as they lose drives and they have no where else to go. Massa is at the beginning of his career so he has plenty of time to sort himself out. Schumi will teach him a few things and if he starts consistently beating reubens times who do you think will end up partnering TFG? As far as Bononi's comment about not following team orders and moving obver for Heidfeld, well i thought that that was what half the posts on this forum have been about, the dominance of team orders over competition. he didn't move over for Nick and had comfortably outpaced him and he gets sacked for not moving over, yet in Austria reubens moved over and he got slagged for it because he was a pussy... make up your mind...
Old 6 Nov 2002, 23:40 (Ref:423390)   #22
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont see this as a surprise at all..Massa has always been linked to Ferrari and this simply confirms what we already thought to be true...Ferrari are grooming Massa for a future race seat perhaps 2 years down the road.

Luciano Burti has done a great job - I think he's been super with the Bridgestone tyre program but I think its safe to say that Massa is the more talented of the two and is certainly more likely to make the race team.

Btw, I dont see how Ferrari can lose in this scenario..Badoer is the one who does most of the development anyway...Burti was mostly testing tyres and I think Massa can easily fill his shoes.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 06:31 (Ref:423540)   #23
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, this has been rumoured for months now and it appears true, though I'll wait for conformation from the team.

I don't really get it though. Massa as a test driver??? He can barely keep it on the road as it is.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 08:06 (Ref:423581)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On whether it is good for him or not: It did work for Alonso at Renault. Although I think he was always destined to be a race driver at Renault and would have been a year earlier if they could have found a way. So it is probably a bit different.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 08:38 (Ref:423589)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Burti is unemployed for next year, the smart thing would be for one of the Michelin shod teams to sign him as tester.

With his experience of Bridgestone tyres and driving the Ferrari, surely his input would be valuable.

Do we think Lauda could swallow his pride and sign him up at Jag (again) , if anyone needs to know what a decent F1 car feels like - it's them!