Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Apr 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2859268)   #1
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
April Issue of "The Marshal"

I don't know if you've seen this yet, but what great letters from some of our stalwarts. They make the point in a balanced view and really get the message across.

Good on you, guys.

Now all we have to do is hope it isn't so much "chip wrapper" and that the MSA might actually start getting the message.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 07:17 (Ref:2859494)   #2
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, although the front page thing about flashcards, ebooks and all that technology jazz just confused the life out of me! Can't even find the software on Android Market
Old 6 Apr 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2859537)   #3
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
I thought that was an April fool!
After all mobile phones are banned on post are'nt they?, Especially when connected to the evil internet (see page 25, last sentence)
I was looking for the link to the MSA/IVM compulsory briefings script / flashcards.

(this post may be tongue in cheek)
Old 6 Apr 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2859561)   #4
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember the "pack of cards" most wanted list used by the USA in Iraq? maybe we could extend this apps idea to build a collection of pictures of legendary "to be feared / admired / watched from a safe distance" marshals?

Anything that helps get new marshals to do a bit of homework / revision is good, although I still prefer good old fashioned paper for my reference library. Well done Bob!
Old 6 Apr 2011, 10:12 (Ref:2859565)   #5
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
True, when I saw Bob Rae's name at the end I knew it was for real.
Will give the young uns something to do between sessions as opposed to updating FB status.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 10:35 (Ref:2859579)   #6
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since we are on about motorsport magazines has anyone read the recent copy of 'MSA' magazine?

I never really rated it before but I have just finished it and I enjoyed reading every article.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 19:46 (Ref:2859841)   #7
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
Remember the "pack of cards" most wanted list used by the USA in Iraq? maybe we could extend this apps idea to build a collection of pictures of legendary "to be feared / admired / watched from a safe distance" marshals?
I'm sure the regalia people can come up with something but I don't know any games that use two playing cards and 50 jokers...
Old 6 Apr 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2859894)   #8
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bee View Post
Since we are on about motorsport magazines has anyone read the recent copy of 'MSA' magazine?

I never really rated it before but I have just finished it and I enjoyed reading every article.
Agreed-it's much better than the old version. Great article on Ollie Webb attending the Silverstone training day!
Old 7 Apr 2011, 02:55 (Ref:2859996)   #9
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It isn't on the WWW somewhere for those of us Down Under to look at??
Old 7 Apr 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2860038)   #10
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
"The Marshal" don't believe so but the MSA magazine is via the MSA website.

Old 7 Apr 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2860047)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
It will be at:

http://www.motorsportsafetyfund.com/

The current issue, issue 29, isn't yet on line.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2860110)   #12
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cover story about electronic copies of the Pocket Guide to Marshaling is all well and good but it doesnt state where to find it on the web.

Ive looked in the obvious place, i.e. the website but cant find anything.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2860128)   #13
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildrop View Post
The cover story about electronic copies of the Pocket Guide to Marshaling is all well and good but it doesnt state where to find it on the web.

Ive looked in the obvious place, i.e. the website but cant find anything.
From memory, you have to download an App from the iTunes App Store - then it will appear as an option inside the app. If I remember, I will take another look at 'The Marshal' tonight to see if I was on track.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 11:21 (Ref:2860130)   #14
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pocket guide wil be linked from MSF website, but not sure when.
Far easier to read it off my phone than the scrunched up papercopy I keep in my overall pocket.

Well done Bob!
Old 7 Apr 2011, 11:37 (Ref:2860139)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I failed miserably to find the app or download it. I'll wait until I'm at a circuit and find a teenage trainee to do it for me.

Enjoyed the letters page, some erudite and sensible essays. The only thing I disagreed on was the suggestion the marshals 'voting with their feet' equates to strike action. I'd take the latter as "we've volunteered, we're either not coming or when we do we're not going to play" as opposed to "It's my hobby, I'll decide where I practice it and what for according to what the meeting is and how I'm treated by the venue or club". For instance, I've voted with my feet regarding Donington timetables, BTCC driving standards and F1 in general. In no way is that strike action nor do I feel any duty to support anyone who has a different opinion - I'm sure I go to events that they wouldn't consider in return.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2860149)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
For instance, I've voted with my feet regarding Donington timetables, BTCC driving standards and F1 in general. In no way is that strike action nor do I feel any duty to support anyone who has a different opinion - I'm sure I go to events that they wouldn't consider in return.

Here,here, I haven't done a BTCC meeting for around 10 years, a Grand Prix for a few less and only go to Donny as a Steward or Clerk of the Course.
Yet I love places like Thoresby Park, Whilton Mill and Hyde Park @ 5am in November. We are volunteers so we can pick and choose.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2860176)   #17
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the App name, i dont have the magazine with me at uni, and i want to check it out before i go home.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2860277)   #18
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having just read the letter in "The Marshal" by Chris Whitlock, I totally agree with whyat he says and you would think if circuit owners are going to revise tracks and change tyre walls and catch fencing, you would thing that by now, some imput from Marshals of both the Incident & Flag type.

I mean PLEASE leave enough gap for us to get to incidents safely behind tyre walls rather than going the long way round or as a last resort in front of tyre walls. Then again with flag points, the need to alighn in drivers sight, NOT just putting then where they think is a good place to wave the flag from.

OK rant over.
Old 8 Apr 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2860432)   #19
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having read the latest copy of "The Marshal" it contains some useful information regarding a better way of raising issues with circuits and the MSA than posting on internet forums.

Old 8 Apr 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2860484)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
a better way of raising issues with circuits and the MSA than posting on internet forums.
I agree it's no good posting here and expecting the powers to pick it up and deal with it, though it does make it a little harder for them to ignore it! Internet forum helps to identify it's not just you, though, which used to be the inference when things get raised. Or sometimes it identifies that it is just you...
Old 8 Apr 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2860599)   #21
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We have just spotted the bit about "Flag Grade" (page 17) - assume we have to contact our local rep to maintain that grade - but surely I get "grandmother" rights (and no comment on my age, thank you)!

Assume I would still be "experienced" having an old red badge, but what happens to those who went green to blue direct (in old badge system-speak for anybody new)?

Why should I have to do anything anyway? Don't they have this stuff on a database somewhere? ...........................
Old 8 Apr 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2860617)   #22
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
Having read the latest copy of "The Marshal" it contains some useful information regarding a better way of raising issues with circuits and the MSA than posting on internet forums.

Have you tried to write to the MSA,or the circuits? have you handed a report to the chief marshal of the day, I have done all 3 and I bet you can guess who is the only one to give a sensible reply, one will not respond!!!
Old 8 Apr 2011, 21:46 (Ref:2860681)   #23
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Have you tried to write to the MSA,or the circuits? have you handed a report to the chief marshal of the day, I have done all 3 and I bet you can guess who is the only one to give a sensible reply, one will not respond!!!
In a word "YES" I have

My views on here are just that, and only inteded for this thread. I have already explored other lines of enquirey.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2862932)   #24
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
We have just spotted the bit about "Flag Grade" (page 17) - assume we have to contact our local rep to maintain that grade - but surely I get "grandmother" rights (and no comment on my age, thank you)!

Assume I would still be "experienced" having an old red badge, but what happens to those who went green to blue direct (in old badge system-speak for anybody new)?

Why should I have to do anything anyway? Don't they have this stuff on a database somewhere? ...........................
No response to this...anybody volunteering?
Old 13 Apr 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2862937)   #25
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Quote:
No response to this...anybody volunteering?
Okay, I'll bite.

As I understand the process, you need to get your Primary Club (i.e. the one listed first on your Marshal's Record Card) to write to the MSA, telling them you used to hold a Flag Grade and requesting that you be granted it again. That's the process I followed and my new MRC now shows two grades, Experienced Marshal (Race) and Flag Marshal (Race).

I don't think it matters how you got to flag grade, i.e. green->red->red/blue or green->blue, all that matters is that you previously held a flag grade.