Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Oct 2003, 02:29 (Ref:738697)   #1
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus Elise GT1 Info?

Anybody has any good info on this little known 1997 FIA-GT also-ran? Any technical info, history, whereabout of the cars after 1997...etc? Or even just nice picture of it....

Anything would be appreciated....thanks
Old 3 Oct 2003, 02:55 (Ref:738707)   #2
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only what I've read in the info section of GT2 - its a b1tch to drive BTW

have you tried a netsearch?
Old 3 Oct 2003, 03:04 (Ref:738708)   #3
RacingManiac
Racer

yea....mostly turned out nothing....low res pic, diecast car....I know that it has been converted from the Lotus TT V8 to a Chevy based 6 liter unit. But what unit I don't know. One source suggested the OHV, other suggested ZR-1 based motor, which is DOHC...
Old 3 Oct 2003, 05:49 (Ref:738807)   #4
RacingManiac
Racer

Also on the topic...whatever happened to that thing about a Elise GT1 entered as a GTP car? There was supposed to be a car like that entered by either some Team Lotus GTP or some Austrian team....I wonder what happened...
Old 3 Oct 2003, 08:40 (Ref:738976)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://gto-racing.nexenservices.com/...useliseGT1.htm
and: http://www.teamlotusgtp.com (the front page will tell you the whole story)
Old 3 Oct 2003, 13:43 (Ref:739360)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Checking the lap times, the Lammers' Elise qualified in 3'48 (20th on the grid) at LM in 1997... not bad, isn't it ?
Old 3 Oct 2003, 13:55 (Ref:739384)   #7
almzkid
Rookie

almzkid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it was outqualified by both Listers and the other Factory Lotus failed to even qualify. The turbo regulations put in place just before the season started really screwed Porsche and Lotus....A shame because the car looked great and had some decent support
Old 3 Oct 2003, 14:40 (Ref:739447)   #8
RacingManiac
Racer

So the GTP thing just never took off eh....
Old 3 Oct 2003, 17:10 (Ref:739588)   #9
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there was one for sale at Auto Salon Singen a while ago. Check out http://www.autosalon-singen.de/Katal...&languageID=DE for some more info.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 22:48 (Ref:739901)   #10
EliseGT1
Racer

EliseGT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Lotus Elise GT1 Info?

Quote:
Originally posted by RacingManiac
Anybody has any good info on this little known 1997 FIA-GT also-ran? Any technical info, history, whereabout of the cars after 1997...etc? Or even just nice picture of it....

Anything would be appreciated....thanks
Please give me your email address so I can send you a few pictures of the LM 1997 #49 car in which Lammers, Hezemans and Grau drove. cannot post them here because of you know why (copyright)...
Old 4 Oct 2003, 02:04 (Ref:739980)   #11
RacingManiac
Racer

set it to andrewjen.wong@utoronto.ca
Old 4 Oct 2003, 06:42 (Ref:740060)   #12
EliseGT1
Racer

I'm looking for a modelcar in 43rd scale of this type of lotus (Le Mans 1997), but as far as I know no company has ever made one... Anyone?
Old 5 Oct 2003, 02:01 (Ref:740722)   #13
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure if there is a Lotus model. The rights to model the cars of the FIA-GT series were very strictly controlled particularly by McLaren but also Mercedes and Porsche. Haven't seen a Lister or Lotus model.

By the way, do you know about the Lotus Esprit V8 GT1? Great car but very little info available.

Like all Lotus in racing though the Elise GT1 and Esprit V8 GT1 suffered from lack of power, testing, and reliability.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 09:30 (Ref:740844)   #14
EliseGT1
Racer

B.t.w. I went to a modelcar fair yesterday. There I talked to some shop owner who said that the reason why there are so few Lotus models is the huge amount of money Lotus asks for the rights. Why do they do that? I really ask myself what the ruls are....I may not copy a product and sell it under the same name, but why wouldn't I be allowed creating a 1/43rd scale copy of a car? You can't drive it...so the functionality is not the same. What's Lotus' point?
Old 6 Oct 2003, 02:09 (Ref:741479)   #15
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 02:24 (Ref:741482)   #16
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Lotus to me is really like a spoilt child, with poor behaviour management and fails to appreciate what its got. They have a wonderful potential which they insist on tarnishing with every new model by poor build quality, lack of funding and research and testing.

They've had the gifts of people such as Peter Stevens who styled the McLaren F1, Nissan R390, and Lotus Esprit to name a few. But nobody wants to buy such a beautiful car as the Esprit if its going to break down.

I am at a loss, as you are, to understand how they are advantaged by restricting the rights of model makers. Surely Lotus needs every bit of help it can get to change its public image. And we can be sure that if someone else is making the model, that the gearbox or electronics won't break.

Until the Elise, I think Lotus were being outsold by TVR, though I would need to double check that for you if you needed to be certain, but that is what I recall.

PS. I thought I saw a white Lotus (Elise) GT1 (1997) model made of metal in Australia about one year ago, but it is not a kit. Maybe Maisto or Bburago, not sure?

Let me check, I'm curious too now...
Old 6 Oct 2003, 03:38 (Ref:741497)   #17
RacingManiac
Racer

Chrono makes a 1/18 model of the GT1, in different paintjob too. The thing is though the die-cast has no opening parts...
Old 6 Oct 2003, 06:14 (Ref:741556)   #18
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
yeah I saw that too 1/18 scale.

there may be others
Old 6 Oct 2003, 09:59 (Ref:741690)   #19
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by EliseGT1
B.t.w. I went to a modelcar fair yesterday. There I talked to some shop owner who said that the reason why there are so few Lotus models is the huge amount of money Lotus asks for the rights. Why do they do that? I really ask myself what the ruls are....I may not copy a product and sell it under the same name, but why wouldn't I be allowed creating a 1/43rd scale copy of a car? You can't drive it...so the functionality is not the same. What's Lotus' point?
It seems to be increasingly the way of things that car companies etc take this position towards manufacturers of models- from what I've read in the model collecting magazines, it seems to be fairly common practice for car manufcturers etc to 'protect' their rights by charging a licencing fee to model manufacturers wanting to reproduce their products.

In some cases they've even gone further by signing exclusive deals with particular modelmakers- I believe this situation applies (or has in the recent past at least) with several F1 teams who have only licenced a single company to reproduce their cars in miniature, and it's apparently very common with anything TV or film related....
Old 6 Oct 2003, 10:14 (Ref:741702)   #20
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Its Lotus interllectual property. no different to say Kylie getting narked off at her CD's being copied. or fake harry Potter merchandise. Same in lots of areas now. Games have to pay manufactures most of the time for use of cars, although some of these deals are contra type deals (for example the manufacture gets x numbers of cars to sell in there dealers foc)
Old 6 Oct 2003, 10:43 (Ref:741729)   #21
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by andy_b
Its Lotus interllectual property. no different to say Kylie getting narked off at her CD's being copied. or fake harry Potter merchandise. Same in lots of areas now. Games have to pay manufactures most of the time for use of cars, although some of these deals are contra type deals (for example the manufacture gets x numbers of cars to sell in there dealers foc)
The Harry Potter merchandise example is a good illustration of complicated this can get- one Harry Potter spin-off in the toy and model business has been the 'Hogwarts Express' model train set, and the licences to produce these for the UK and US markets actually went to different companies....

Some car manufacturers are VERY protective of their intellectual property in this area- Ferrari and BMW are a couple of examples who spring to mind

Last edited by KA; 6 Oct 2003 at 10:47.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 10:57 (Ref:741743)   #22
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
HP is very complicated as it also has to be approved by JK Rowling as well. Then, if its an EA game, everything has to be approved by EA, Warners and JKR!
Old 6 Oct 2003, 11:22 (Ref:741763)   #23
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GT1 Lotus as it appeared at Le Mans.
IMHO it looked far better than it went and seemed to lack development.
Another one to add to the 'what might have been basket'
Attached Thumbnails
gt1 lotus.jpg  
Old 6 Oct 2003, 11:50 (Ref:741790)   #24
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus 1/43 models

As far as I know there is one English company (SMTS) who make some lotus models in 1/43.
They make a Lotus Esprit GT1 from the 96 BPR, driven by Lammers and Bailey for around £40 and a model of a road going Elise for around £33, but no race version.
These are white metal kit's.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 12:09 (Ref:741813)   #25
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
In either 1999 or 2000 at Le Mans, Autosport were giving away 1:18 models of the GT1 (similar to the colour scheme of the photo above) if you got an annual subscription with them.

Shame the GTP project never happened, if it had been a success then maybe Toyota could have changed its mind and returned with their prototype. Which would have made at least one of our moderators very happy!