Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jul 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1039221)   #1
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi & Webber

So if we theoretically say Fisi and Webber find themselves together as Williams team mates next year, what do you think will happen.

Personally I rate them both VERY highly, and I think Mark's sheer effort and attitude will serve him very well. But at the same time I could imagine Fisi's pure speed being superior to Webbers.

What's your thoughts?
Old 17 Jul 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1039223)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both over-rated just now, but I think Webber will take a step forward and justify the hype, whereas Fisichella won't.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1039228)   #3
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, Webber's a more solid bet than Fisichella, even if they were the same age. Fisichella seems to have built his career/reputation on his Minardi performances in 1996.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1039230)   #4
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still prefer my Williams 2005 driver list I put on the ChampCar Forum.

Darren Manning & Justin Wilson for 2005!!! Dixon was considered, but has only shown any great skill on ovals, and even then only last season.

Manning's road course runs in CART last year (and some oval runs this year minus the final result), and Wilson's this year have been exceptional.

Also, remember how much press attention in the UK Williams suddenly acquired in 2000 when they took Button on(particularly after the dire 1999 season)...
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:01 (Ref:1039233)   #5
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But since I just tried to turn this into a 2005 Williams thread...ummm...

Fisichella vs Webber; personally, I think Fisi might finally come good if he could break into the top four. I think sitting in 'the next best' bunch of teams is very much his own psychological barrier.

Fisichella also outperformed Ralf at Jordan in 1997 clearly...hence why he earnt the Benetton drive straight off, whilst Ralf had to wait for Williams a year later. Just Ralf got the better deal as Williams recovered and Benetton dropped off. I wouldn't use the 1996 Minardi drive as his sole merits therefore. He didn't exactly slaugher Lamy either...just Marques & Lavaggi.

Last edited by Hazard; 17 Jul 2004 at 21:02.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:15 (Ref:1039242)   #6
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I concur that Webber might be the more solid bet. His level of application and no nonsense approach would appear the better fit for Frank & Patrick.

For sure Williams don't have the greatest record for getting the best out of their drivers. Fisichella has been fast in everything he has driven, but he's never been in a team with such high expectations for their drivers.

On the other hand, Fisichella has more experience and knows what it takes to get podiums and good results, whereas Webber's best result to date has only been 5th.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:22 (Ref:1039247)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fisi didn't slaughter Marques in 1996 - I recall Tarso raced in place of him!
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:26 (Ref:1039249)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Giancarlo were to go into this with confidence and real self-belief, I think he could surprise Mark and certainly keep things level. He has more experience at the top of the grid, and has destroyed more imrpessive team-mates than Webber, in teams where 2 drivers usually get equal support.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 01:06 (Ref:1039347)   #9
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
IF there the Pairing then line him up. RIP FISSI!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18 Jul 2004, 01:08 (Ref:1039348)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Hmmm, tough cookie this. I could write a 1000 words on this easily.

Although I recently climbed off the Fisi bandwagon (sorry Inigo, not back on it yet) there is no doubting that when his head is right, he is as quick or quicker than anyone else out there.

One thing this forum, and many others, does'nt understand though is outright speed is not enough. IMO Michael Schumacher is not the fastest driver in F1 IMO, but nobody will could beat him in the same car over a season.

I think this is another thing Webber shares with Michael. What he lacks in outright pace he makes up for everywhere else. An interesting possibility though, that will leave one of them on the 'coulda shoulda woulda but did'nt' list.

There are only 3 drivers in F1 that I consider are career killers, that is, will ruin their team mates career. Michael, and these 2. Both have slaughtered team mates, and although the names of Fisi's victims are higher up the food chain, they were young and inexperienced at the time.

This could go either way, and to be honest, its all on Fisi. IF Fisi has finally found that top ride, can compete for wins and is head is clear, he has the speed to put Webber on his list of victims. No question at all.

However if he remains inconsistant, or continues to dream of that Ferrari drive, Webbers attitude, team building ability and consistantcy will overwhelm him.

Either way he will be the toughest team mate Webber has ever had to deal with, and will at the very least keep him on his toes.

In short too close to call, but without doubt the best lineup Frank could get with the drivers available.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 01:33 (Ref:1039354)   #11
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the other thread (merge time?), Mark Webber doesn't want Fisichella as a team mate.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...52#post1037252

Can't say I blame him. I guess there is a high risk for his career, if he joins the list of team mates beaten by Fisichella. To be fair to Mark, it might be more Flavio Briatore that doesn't want that risk. So if this is true, can it happen... both together at Williams?

Last edited by alfasud; 18 Jul 2004 at 01:37.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 01:54 (Ref:1039365)   #12
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think that article was the best example most couldn't read it .
Mark has been with Fissi before and was most times Mark was fastest I know it was testing but with all the test the two did together I'm sure the same progrommes where use at one point at least. And from memory Mark was often the fastest more than not of all four drivers

Last edited by Mark Webber; 18 Jul 2004 at 01:59.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 01:54 (Ref:1039367)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think that story is BS to be honest. 2 reasons :

1. Why would Mark have issue with this? He and Fisi got along well at Renault.

2. Why would he think Frank would be happy about it. Williams is clearly a 2 driver team, and Frank would'nt touch a driver that was making those demands before he was even signed.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 07:42 (Ref:1039446)   #14
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Fisi didn't slaughter Marques in 1996 - I recall Tarso raced in place of him!
I know that. I was talking of comparitive performance in the same car.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 08:40 (Ref:1039464)   #15
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if they both got the drive in 2005 it would be very refreshing to see 2 different names hopefully racing for podium finishes
fisi been wanting a decent drive for years and best of luck to him if he gets it....
Old 18 Jul 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1039504)   #16
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Webber will have Fisi's measure. Mark probably doesn't have as great natural talaent but I beleive he would work harder for it & keep a more level head over a season.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 08:36 (Ref:1040112)   #17
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does make me laugh at how so many of you feel that Mark will out-do Fisi, righting off the Roman. Remember that Fisi has beaten every team-mate in F1, and though Mark has mega potential, i don't see Mark blowing him into the weeds somehow. MW is a top top driver, his performances at Jaguar have been phenominal at times, but for sheer pace I'd be very surprised if he had the measure of Fisi - if he did, then we'd be looking at one hell of a driver...

As I've stated in another thread Fisi has beaten Ralf, Button, Wurz, Sato and Massa, all at a time when some had been seen as THE coming men in the sport. He may let his head go down, but can you blame him, as he's surely in the top 5 drivers on the grid and his talent is just wasting away. Admittedly, it looks like he's found himself a good home at Sauber - professional, solid team that's finally going-forward during a season!? Unbelievable!

IF this line-up did occur then this would be a very strong pairing.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1040154)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
I agree Spider, no matter which driver you favour, I cant see either blowing the other away.

I hope this is the Williams line-up, but only time will tell.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1040198)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it'd be a rgeat lineup, because they're both drivers who have a lot of support and appreciation,a nd neither have really had the drives they apper to deserve. This time next year we'd know a lot more about just how good Webber is.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1040378)   #20
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Whilst a huge Webber fan, I have the utmost respect for the talent of Fisi. On pure speed, you'd have to rate him in the top 3 or 4 on the grid and he has driven some nails to good results in the past. The only queries I have on Fisi are the ability to concentrate 100% of the time and his
setup ability.

As for Webber, his speed rating is under-rated IMO - I don't know if there are too many drivers who could get the same speed out of the Jag or Minardi - but it is unproven in a good car, just the same. He does seem to be able to setup a car pretty well and puts poor cars in good positions if they last.

Having said all that, I think Webber will possibly improve further with the challenge from Fisi (by FAR the best teammate he will have contended with) as far as speed goes. By the same token, I predict that Fisi will benefit greatly from the setup and development abilities of Webber.

What does it mean? Well, potentially the best lineup for Williams in a while as far as team harmony, good competition without being destructive and disruptive, and consistent results. If this IS the lineup, then they will have chosen wisely - you are better off with 2 fast, hungry and generally reliable (and sensible) drivers on the track.

Who will win? Doubt that there would be much in it...maybe Webber a whisker more consistent over a season, though.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1040412)   #21
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deeks, totally agree with everything you've said there. Both would see the drive as the best ride of their career, so the hunger facter will be there too - both are hot property and both are incredibly strong. The PAIR of them together would surely be great for team harmony - the way they worked together to help drag Benetton up the grid in '01 was very impressive, so we'll see who's the quicker and who has the higher points total...
Old 19 Jul 2004, 15:22 (Ref:1040457)   #22
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO fisi would have the edge on webber on both speed and mental strength.

Put it this way, Fisi made JB look very average at Renault and I just don't think webber could have done the same.

I think Fisi would raise his game too at the chance of a top flight seat- all those years driving average machinery must take its toll on a driver's motivation.

Would be a very strong line up though whatever the result..