Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jun 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1948206)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Interesting 2011 regulation proposals

It's good to be back. I shall do my best not to criticise my favourite sport too much.

Here are some interesting proposals for the coming decade.

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press...270607-01.html
Old 27 Jun 2007, 15:48 (Ref:1948216)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
More details here.http://www.fia.com/sport/Championshi..._one_2011.html
Old 27 Jun 2007, 16:18 (Ref:1948236)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ARRGGHH!

No to 4WD F1! Shame about the engines, I would have liked to have seen a move to production based turbos.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 17:12 (Ref:1948275)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good old Martyn... you love for F1 is astounding
Old 27 Jun 2007, 17:49 (Ref:1948299)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
4 - cylinder engines?!

Whats the point in that?

Surely that means spending another X amount of millions developing that lump?

And im very sceptical on the claims of 50% downforce leading to more overtaking.

I think ive finally lost faith in this sport getting any better.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 17:57 (Ref:1948302)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I read about the 1.5 litre turbo-engines, I was moderate positive. But the homologated and standard components, moveable aerodynamic devices and some other restrictions, I lost it.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1948305)   #7
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
• 1.3-1.5 litre, 4-cylinder engine;

Great....
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:01 (Ref:1948306)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
4 - cylinder engines?!

Whats the point in that?

Surely that means spending another X amount of millions developing that lump?
It wouldn't be if the engines were production based.

They can't even spell kW properly, I just can't take this mistimed april fool gag seriously any more
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1948310)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I would say that the current state of play is pretty inherent in the sport.

You just might find an effective way to reduce turbulence and what not, and so on, but, I think, you are still going to see limited overtaking. The drivers can still make passing a tad more difficult than just driving past, if they so wish.

Performance gaps are always either going to be to big to keep in contact anyway, or, in the event of two teams/drivers being close in points at the top, on their own, later on in the season, both will likely be on similar overall performance levels (variances with-in and between the various sub-categories of this over-arching category is [hopefully] self-evident as inevitable). It would likely come down to who made less mistakes, which rates the risk of overtaking as a high one I would have thought...

I certainly wouldn't expect any significant difference to proceedings as long as it is currently dealt with how it is, but, well, who knows what will have been worked towards nearer the time.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1948315)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
When I read about the 1.5 litre turbo-engines, I was moderate positive. But the homologated and standard components, moveable aerodynamic devices and some other restrictions, I lost it.
That was more or less my experience.

However, the possibility of allowing moveable aerodynamic devices. I would be pretty interested to see them allowed to some degree. I am not suggesting them as a fix for anything, in fact, if anything, it would probably **** most people off. I am not suggesting imposing my will on the planet for my own individual amusement, but rather it is fun to imagine it. I just think it is interesting.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:13 (Ref:1948324)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
• 1.3-1.5 litre, 4-cylinder engine;

Great....
They were great in the Eighties.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:19 (Ref:1948328)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo

And im very sceptical on the claims of 50% downforce leading to more overtaking.
The only thing I'm sceptical of is that 50% is just a starting figure that will be wittled away to nothing.The FIA should start at 10% of current downforce and bargain with that figure.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:20 (Ref:1948330)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
1500bhp turbos.

Sounds good to me!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:22 (Ref:1948332)   #14
Fletcher
Rookie

Finland
Fletcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA:s stand in these matters still seems to be that if they make suggestions that are ludicrous, they can get their original, less ambitious plans through. If this really is the direction they're heading now, I do expect some of the more... how should I put it, ambitious? parts of it will be scrapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
You just might find an effective way to reduce turbulence and what not, and so on, but, I think, you are still going to see limited overtaking. The drivers can still make passing a tad more difficult than just driving past, if they so wish.
You might be right but I do still think something should be done as opposed to being a tad more difficult than driving by overtaking is virtually impossible in some venues (other than Monaco) at the moment.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:23 (Ref:1948333)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
The only thing I'm sceptical of is that 50% is just a starting figure that will be wittled away to nothing.The FIA should start at 10% of current downforce and bargain with that figure.
Well if the FIA argues for a 10% reduction, it would be argued down to the status quo probably. So the early things that come out set all kinds of different stadnards and levels, and from there sees what bites and such.

It also, of course, makes it easier to get through your true agenda if you put out a bunch of less likely (i.e. less popular) realities first.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:26 (Ref:1948337)   #16
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well if the FIA argues for a 10% reduction, it would be argued down to the status quo probably.
That's not what Martyn was proposing. Martyn proposed a 10% of current downforce, meaning a 90% reduction. I think that would mean a Formula 1 car without wings and diffusers.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:28 (Ref:1948341)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Argh, this is woeful.

Just leave it alone please!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1948347)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

It also, of course, makes it easier to get through your true agenda if you put out a bunch of less likely (i.e. less popular) realities first.
They didn't propose wind power,nuclear power or vehicle dimensions equivellant to that of a truck,so I'm fairly happy.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1948350)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Argh, this is woeful.

Just leave it alone please!
The more that things change,the more they stay the same.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1948366)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
As pointed out by Pingguest, I misread your 10% post before. My bad.

I have just started to read through the chassis proposal pdf properly.

From the gumph at the start, this has interested me so far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA 2011 Chassis Proposal-Thingy
The FIA welcome feedback from both teams and manufacturers and have certainly being encouraged by the reasoned and open-minded response from the majority of the manufacturers after the publication of the first paper.
Wasted no time having a dig at the non-manufacturer teams, whilst cosying up to the manufacturers. Not that this is a surprise or anything, but I just find it interesting.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:53 (Ref:1948368)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Pingguest, you may get your wish after all...

Taken from ITV-F1's version of the same article.

"In the interests of the sport as well as cost cuts, the FIA also proposes to abandon flat-bottomed undertrays and introduce a standardised floor with underbody aerodynamics.

The undertrays would produce the majority of the car’s downforce, lessening the problem of turbulence which is currently the main obstacle to overtaking. Winglets, bargeboards and other appendages will also be banned".
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:58 (Ref:1948371)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
And all to be sorted out before the end of the year....yeah right.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:09 (Ref:1948386)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
A couple of years to go yet, at least, I would've thought.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1948413)   #24
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another link - http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19318.html

Well, at least there's no TC and other electronic aids...

Still, engines that produce 400hp in the series that's supposed to be the "pinnacle of motorsports" - says it all, doesn't it?

PowerBoost - the biggest waste of money in motorsport. Like it really helps A1 and Champ Car - hardly any overtaking even with it, and they are smaller cars with less downforce

IMO half the problem is the drivers themselves - they don't want to pass. It's too easy to do it in the pits. So why not just ban refuelling? That, coupled with the winglets and aerodynamic parafinalia being banned, would improve racing and the "spectacle" ten-fold. Unless of course the FIA's version of the spectacle is completely different to ours, which wouldn't be a surprise. I mean, they brought it in to "improve the spectacle" in the first place

I am very sceptical like you guys that any of this will actually work. Look at the CDG wing - it's been proven that it won't work in the slightest. I'm suspicious of them...

And just to make sure that it works they've messed up the WRC as well. And not only that the new GP2 car looks like it won't offer as much overtaking as the current one - on purpose? I mean we've seen that before with the old DTM/ITC

Sorry to offer a pessimistic view but I fear for the future. Will there be a time when costs, safety and fuel economy is such a big concern that our own road cars will be faster!?!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 20:10 (Ref:1948474)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
4 cylinders just don't cut it, 400bhp is not enough.

A V6 turbo would be a compromise, however I would like to see V8 turbos personally.

We should be looking at between 800 and 1000 bhp imo.