Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2004, 20:34 (Ref:1012554)   #1
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Understanding the Sport of overtaking

http://www.formula1.com/insight/tech...fo/11/838.html

Extract from www.formula1.com

EDIT: removed article.
Dan, If you want me to post anything as a intro to this I will. Just let me know.

Last edited by Adam43; 22 Jun 2004 at 21:18.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1012561)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More than an extract - looks like the whole article!
Old 22 Jun 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1012576)   #3
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Sorry it was the whole thing i just found it interesting.

Sorry Kicking Back
Old 22 Jun 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1012589)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It doesn't offend me! I just didn't want you to fall foul of any rules.

It's an interesting article, but I don't think it really SAYS anything.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1012591)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You can't really paste an entire article (copyright and all that). see FAQ. Would you like to pick up some relevant bits and post a link sraight to the article.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 21:00 (Ref:1012593)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought that was an article - it was writen in proper literate sentances and with a logical structure, which not all tenthers are capable of.

Good stuff, and it raises some interesting points. It backs up the theory that aerodynamic grip is damaging for overtaking on circuits without long straights followed by tight corners, but can oherwise be advantageous.

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 22 Jun 2004 at 21:03.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 21:03 (Ref:1012595)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting read though!
Old 22 Jun 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1012608)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I've asked Dan to post this again, but with less copyright issues.

Cheers
Old 22 Jun 2004, 22:08 (Ref:1012674)   #9
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Eye sorry boys i didn't thibk of the copyright issues n'all
i won't do that again sorry adam won't happen again. But it
was good in the snce that it explains the slipsteam and all that malarky
Old 23 Jun 2004, 05:49 (Ref:1012877)   #10
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read this quite long ago - when F1.com became official FIA's F1 site, and my favorite part:
Quote:
Providing that the driver ahead only changes his line once going into a corner (not deliberately attempting to block the car behind) this is a perfectly justifiable form of racing, and with it a driver in an inferior car can successfully hold off a faster rival.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 12:06 (Ref:1013247)   #11
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes an interesting read but nothing a long term F1 fan wouldn't already know.

It does call into question the fact that if this is the FIA official stance why certain manouvers haven't resulted in a stewards enquiry
Old 23 Jun 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1013394)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No it doesn't really. Those are not the words of the regulations, they are the words of the web site's explanation of the regulations. To make matters worse the bold has been added to stress the part that the poster finds relevant, whereas no such stress exists in the rules themselves.

What the sentence quoted means, I think, is that moving across once is fine, and that moving more than once would be considered "deliberately attempting to block the car behind".

The article explains in a very even-handed way the conundrum... that high aero levels 1) give overtaking (in the sense of making the slipstream) and 2) take overtaking away (by making it harder to follow the car in front through a corner). Simply reducing wing levels would make the slipstream less strong and therefore mitigate against overtaking on the straights, irrespective of the amount of mechanical grip which might be reinstated as recompense to loss of aero downforce.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1013605)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But I thought overtaking was done in the pits?

That page is obviously devoted to Taku!