Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Jun 2008, 14:55 (Ref:2231946)   #26
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage
“Beauty” – as they say is in the eye of the beerholder…!
I thought the grid this year was one of the most beautiful and diverse I have seen in years.
I like the difference between coupes and open top and the Epsilon was simply stunning.
Then there are the different GT’s and LMP2’s – I can’t wait for next year, especially if the Japanese manufacturers also add to the current grid.
We can also hope for Aston LMP1 works entry in the future and hopefully more Porsche LMP backing.
Maybe even a new Audi and (I guess) a Peugeot second attempt.
I totally agree (although I'd like to see some other manufacturers as well... What about Mercedes trying their luck again?). However, in the Audi department, although I am (roughly) an Audi fan, I'm rather tired of the open prototypes sight. I'd love an Audi coupe, just for refreshing the looks... And of course, for having a more competitive car against Peugeot in terms of sheer performance.
Old 18 Jun 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2232023)   #27
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm209
Have you got any idea of the dates?
Its always the 24 week of the year .
Old 18 Jun 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2232036)   #28
cm209
Rookie

cm209 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 24th week of every year.Okay
Old 18 Jun 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2232123)   #29
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I heard that he was looking at buying a 2nd RS Spyder .

I dont think Audi will release the R10 for a customer programe .
Audi could afford to be choosy in the R8 days, I wonder if they require strength in numbers in future years, especially if further manufactuers enter.

I still reckon we'll see something from Vitaphone.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2232568)   #30
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Jean-Louis at our hotel has the 20th/21st of June pencilled in for the 24hrs in his bookings diary for 2009....

And yes we have booked, and put ticket request into ACO.

We are even contemplating going down for the Test day and staying on till the race. If I can get wifi access I can do some (not a lot) of work from there.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2232572)   #31
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok for the thread about 2009 but I have not finished my post-LM depression yet.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2232595)   #32
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I heard that he was looking at buying a 2nd RS Spyder .

I dont think Audi will release the R10 for a customer programe .
Let's just say that if Van Merksteijn gets everything he is talking about he can run the VMLMS
Old 19 Jun 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2232609)   #33
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
He sounds like a right happy chappy at the moment . Bet he never thought he would take the LMP2 title home with to the Nederlands .....

Great to see , I must admit that I never thought this VM effort would be up to much , absolutly delighted to see im wrong .
Old 19 Jun 2008, 14:53 (Ref:2232686)   #34
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He also won this:
http://germancarscene.com/2008/06/19...nts/#more-7805
Old 20 Jun 2008, 07:03 (Ref:2233165)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt
Not sure...

I've been going since 1979, but this year was the least enjoyable by far.

For a start Audi annexed the whole of Garage Rouge where we've parked nearly every year and we ended up on Beausejour, which would be in another county to the village if it were in England!

Errr - Actually, that was really my only gripe - The ACO make it very difficult to get parking close to the circuit (and not everyone wants to camp).

Maybe I'll be back next year, but maybe I'll put my feet up in front of the TV and watch it on Eurosport/Motors.

Cheers.
I don't think that's entirely true, is it? Yes, Audi did have a substantial slice of the Tertre Rouge end of garage rouge but not the whole of it, by any means. We were able to park there without difficulty throughout the weekend.

As for the race - the best for many years as far as I'm concerned......

Quote:

I've assumed 13th/14th June 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage
“Beauty” – as they say is in the eye of the beerholder…!
Indeed, but the 99 R8C was far better looking than any of the Audis which followed...... IMO

Last edited by Aysedasi; 20 Jun 2008 at 07:09.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2233194)   #36
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, Audi did not have ALL of it, but we were directed to the foul Garage Bleu on arrival on Friday evening and I never saw Garage Rouge tickets on sale on the website (it simply went from Available Soon to Sold Out!) - How did you get yours?

It was a good race, I'm just grouchy because a load of Audi hangers on got preferential treatment and it would've been just as good a race on TV...

I don't go to GPs partly because they're 'hospitality' driven, it's a shame to see Le Mans going the same way - Just witness the way large areas of what were once excellent viewing areas for the Enceinte Generales are now taken over by expensive stands.

Cheers

Last edited by marcosgt; 20 Jun 2008 at 08:20.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 08:57 (Ref:2233225)   #37
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
True, Audi did not have ALL of it, but we were directed to the foul Garage Bleu on arrival on Friday evening and I never saw Garage Rouge tickets on sale on the website (it simply went from Available Soon to Sold Out!) - How did you get yours?

It was a good race, I'm just grouchy because a load of Audi hangers on got preferential treatment and it would've been just as good a race on TV...

I don't go to GPs partly because they're 'hospitality' driven, it's a shame to see Le Mans going the same way - Just witness the way large areas of what were once excellent viewing areas for the Enceinte Generales are now taken over by expensive stands.

Cheers
No offence mate but I think you need to step back and wonder how you would seriously prefer to watch the world's greatest race on the telly because of parking problems and a few corpies spoiling your view?
This was without a doubt the best LM in my recent memory, if the closest parking was in Paris and I had to finish the rest of journey on a pogo stick I can assure you I'd still be there, long may my obsession continue!
Old 20 Jun 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2233226)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I got my garage rouge tickets in advance from 1st Tickets - have done for the last two years. OK, you pay a premium, but it's well worth it for the peace of mind.

Yes, Le Mans has become much more hospitality driven, but such is life - I'm probably more of a traditionalist than anyone here - I moan about anything that changes - but race-wise, in comparison to the processions we've had for many years, this was actually rather special, IMO.....
Old 20 Jun 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2233347)   #39
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes I to can see the rise of the corporate hospitality at Le mans but it is still not over the top, new stands are erected, but you can chose to use them or stand infrount of them for free. There is still plenty of room for everyone and if you prefer to sit in a hospitality car trying to get through the massed fans or get out and walk like the rest of us it's your choice.

Without the income from hospitality suites etc the cost would almost certainly be much higher and also it might make Le mans less attractive to major manufacurers. A balance is what is needed and compared to almost every other sport I think Le mans is a lot closer to the fans.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2233738)   #40
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
Ok for the thread about 2009 but I have not finished my post-LM depression yet.

haha .. that sounded so much like what i felt ..
first few hours after the race I barely spoke .. it's a bit better now .. but 2009 it's not coming fast enough if you ask me

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2233770)   #41
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mr. VM may be talking about an R10, but is he talking to Audi about an R10? I would imagine that they would be even less inclined to ahve the R10 in private hands than they were with the R8, and they were already extremely choosy there. Given that the R8 ran in customer hands either against factory R8s or as semi-factory entries, there was never any chance of an older model beating a newer one (except in chassis age) and the privateers kept up Audi's honour during their 'break' from works campaigning, you know, the one where Juttner et al. kept on showing up everywhere anyway... In this case, if they do replace the R10 with a new P1, having the R10 beat it might well be against Audi's interests.

But hey, if VM can get one, good on him! They've done well (which is a credit to Equipe Verschurr as much as anyone).
Old 20 Jun 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2233780)   #42
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarthe82
No offence mate but I think you need to step back and wonder how you would seriously prefer to watch the world's greatest race on the telly because of parking problems and a few corpies spoiling your view?
This was without a doubt the best LM in my recent memory, if the closest parking was in Paris and I had to finish the rest of journey on a pogo stick I can assure you I'd still be there, long may my obsession continue!
It was a good race, no doubt, but the only reason to be there rather than watching the TV coverage is for the atmosphere.

In my view, that's waned considerably in recent years.

My obsession's continued for many a year, but I'm going to think seriously about next year's race.

Cheers.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2233900)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Shame you feel that way

For me, the atmosphere was as good as ever - particularly for the driver parade in town on Friday night, when I spent most of my time at the 'collection area' - far better than watching them on route! But I do miss the parade of drivers along the straight before the race - that's two years without it now, so I guess its not going to come back now......
Old 21 Jun 2008, 09:59 (Ref:2233957)   #44
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be going, havn't been since 2004 (Apart from the Classic)
Old 21 Jun 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2234150)   #45
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was a good race, no doubt, but the only reason to be there rather than watching the TV coverage is for the atmosphere.

In my view, that's waned considerably in recent years.

My obsession's continued for many a year, but I'm going to think seriously about next year's race.

Cheers.
Having missed this years race and watched a good part of it on telly, rest assured it is no where near as good as being there.

Dispite the **** count going up every year (or am I getting older?) I have no intention of missing next year.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 06:50 (Ref:2235406)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well I have every intention of being there in 2009 as that will be my 24th 24 Hours....... This year was good, next year will be even better!
Old 23 Jun 2008, 07:24 (Ref:2235426)   #47
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will be taking a sabatical for next year but I will be back! Only next time I intend to be trackside marshalling!
Old 23 Jun 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2235686)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Can I ask everyone how certain we are of 20th/21st June 2009? It's just that I may now have to compete with a colleague for this time..... Are we saying the 24th weekend of the year (which would be 13th/14th, wouldn't it?) or the weekend at the end of the 24th week (which would be 20th/21st)?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 23 Jun 2008 at 13:36.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2235720)   #49
cm209
Rookie

cm209 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Can I ask everyone how certain we are of 20th/21st June 2009? It's just that I may now have to compete with a colleague for this time..... Are we saying the 24th weekend of the year (which would be 13th/14th, wouldn't it?) or the weekend at the end of the 24th week (which would be 20th/21st)?
That would be good to know.IT's a non irrelevant difference in terms of bookings and so on...
However, bad idea tha tramway. I preferred the bus shuttle form the station to the mai entrance of the track.
I risked of loosing the TGv to Paris charles de Gaulle TGV with the consequence of loosing the plane on the return home due to the tramway.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2235740)   #50
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 2003 we had 14/15 June, in 2004 it was 13/14th.
The last time the start was on June 20 was back in 1992.

My guess would be 13/14th of June

Tags
2009 le mans