Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 25 Jul 2003, 15:45 (Ref:671201)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Warmups?

Do any of you do any sort of warmup before shooting your first shots of the day?

I've found that I have to do stretches (particularly my back and hips), rotations, and practice pans before I see the first car, otherwise my first film is wasted on blurry, shutter-punched, cut-off shots.

What's your ritual?

I'm toying with the idea of ensuring that my camera is empty during my warmup so that I get some shutter action, too (particularly on a weekend where I might be tempted to carry over half a film from the previous night, as I'm camping and have no need to get films in for developing). I guess it means I'll have to finish off the last roll of the day before bedtime...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 26 Jul 2003, 18:57 (Ref:672065)   #2
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My warm-up consists of checking I've got the cameras, films, batteries, my purse/phone etc. This is a very physical task because I'm ususally running around looking for one of the above items.

I do check that I've got space to move around where possible and check for distances I can use. Not that it seems to do me much good
Old 26 Jul 2003, 20:50 (Ref:672149)   #3
jasont
Rookie

jasont should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's funny, I was thinking about this a couple of days ago. Almost without exception my first session's worth of shots are pants. I just don't seem to have 'my eye in' if you like.

When I do the BTCC I used to start shooting on the first touring car session on the Saturday but last time at Croft I shot about 15 Porsche shots before the Touring Car session - the results from the subsequent touring car session were noticeably better. Maybe it's just coincidence but I suspect I might have to start rolling out of bed half an hour earlier

Jason
Old 31 Jul 2003, 11:51 (Ref:676205)   #4
LittleX
Rookie

LittleX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find that the course cars are very good 'warm-up' subjects. I set my zoom, focus and practice my panning without actually taking a shot when they are going round, so that I am ready for the first race cars of the day.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 12:24 (Ref:676249)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't do any warm-up as such. Before a trip to Le Mans I will spend an hour or two cleaning my camera and lenses and making sure I've got everything I need and that all my films are colour-coded for speed etc. But I don't do any other particular prepararation.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 21:58 (Ref:676694)   #6
BAR Babe
Racer

BAR Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
crumbs.... my 'warm up' consists of running desperately to the shooting spot of my choice whilst trying to put camera together normally - usually due to the fact that i was late out of bed and now late for whatever is the first race of the day !!!

efficiency ....

ahem.

i get the shots... what more do you want!
Old 4 Aug 2003, 19:18 (Ref:679866)   #7
olivierberoud
Rookie

olivierberoud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hello, i am new on ten tenths and that is my first post

I spend half an hour checking lens and cameras. i do not realy have warm up except for big events like endurance or really long week ends, during that kind of races, i most of the time walk or run 15 or 20 minuts as if i was looking fr something or somebody
somtime i am realy looking for something or somebody
hope that i will hav good time here

olivier france

Last edited by olivierberoud; 4 Aug 2003 at 19:20.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 22:11 (Ref:679987)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest, most of the time I don't get time for a warm up. Either I have a really good day, or a fairly average one. At the local hillclimb there is especially no room for warm up, because all of the action happens on the first run, because the track is normally damp and cold, as are the drivers...
Old 5 Aug 2003, 09:54 (Ref:680325)   #9
candfracing
Rookie

candfracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know what Snappers ritual is!

A run to the burger van!
Super Mighty Mini #30
C&F Racing
Old 5 Aug 2003, 11:34 (Ref:680399)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually that might be becoming a bit of a ritual- always have a camera bag full of (unused) chewing gum...
Old 5 Aug 2003, 15:56 (Ref:680583)   #11
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just try to get to my spot as quickly as possible and start shooting.

I have not found my first shots to be of any less quality than those taken later in the day. At least as far as clarity etc. go. I do find my compositions get better as I progress through a weekend and try different parts of the track and if its a track I have never shot, where the good places to shoot from are.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 18:14 (Ref:680687)   #12
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Craig...I can't afford burger prices, cos' my pictures to you Mini boys/girls are so discounted I can't afford to eat anyway-anyway Crofty does me his veggie burgers for free (fried egg in a roll)! BAR Babe, Iv'e never seen you run anywhere!! Whats all this warm up stuff about anyway-either you can take pictures or you cant! Last airshow I did I left my camera switched on but on the ground...I saw an aircraft get out of shape grabbed my camera off the grass...went click, click 6 times and got £3.500 for the shots with a daily newspaper...warming up, never heard anything so strange in all my Snapping days!!!