Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2447989)   #1
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2010 new teams = too many cars?

Currently we have 10 teams, 3 teams have announced possible intent for 2010 (USGPE, Lola, ProDrive) simple math tells me we may have 26 cars vying for 24 spots on the grid. We will see a return of pre-qualifying or is someone leaving??? Bernie perhaps expanding the grid size? I don't know if all tracks have garage facilities for this many or have they dropped all the races at tracks with antiquated pit areas? Are the Lola & ProDrive projects related?
Old 23 Apr 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2447992)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All tracks will have enough space if teams get given less pit boxes. Bear in mind that there are more than three that could be wanting to get in. The current limit is 24. However, that can be changed. One thing that I don't want is a return to pre-qualifying as that could be a bit of a problem for the teams that get DNPQs, as they would get no TV coverage on the major weekend sessions.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2448043)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Would it not be possible to air Pre-Qualifying if it were to happen?

We're talking a good 15 years ago since the last time this happened, and what with the red button additions over the past few years..?

Selby
Old 23 Apr 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2448153)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder about the existing teams and their thoughts on this. I'm sure i remember the grid being cut down to a maximum of 12 teams to make sure each teams value was kept up?

I'm all for as many cars on the grid as possible providing they are fast enough to compete.

I don't want to see cars at the back of the grid 4-5 seconds off the pace.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2448164)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Would it not be possible to air Pre-Qualifying if it were to happen?
You wouldn't need pre-qualifying, just qualifying!
Quote:
We're talking a good 15 years ago since the last time this happened, and what with the red button additions over the past few years..?
There was over 30 cars when they did this.

Whatever I don't think we'll have a problem with too many cars.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2448174)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think the amount of cars and pit boxes are the problem, more that teams just bring so much stuff with them and get much bigger garages compared to the pre-qualifying days. Cut down on both those counts and I'm sure 26 cars will be no problem.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 22:59 (Ref:2448226)   #7
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
You wouldn't need pre-qualifying, just qualifying!
After thinking about it, you are right. They could leave it as it now and with 26 cars eliminate the slowest 8 cars from each of the first 2 sessions.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2448237)   #8
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well with the loss of Renault, Toyota and Williams, I done think you'll have to worry.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 23:48 (Ref:2448258)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Well with the loss of Renault, Toyota and Williams, I done think you'll have to worry.
oooh! controversial! And not forgetting McLaren of course.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2448268)   #10
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
oooh! controversial! And not forgetting McLaren of course.
Now Ron's gone, the sooner we forget about McLaren the better.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 00:59 (Ref:2448280)   #11
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I don't want to see cars at the back of the grid 4-5 seconds off the pace.
Agreed, but hopefully with the budget-cap being introduced there will be more of a level playing field, and we won't see teams more than 2 seconds off the pace.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 01:29 (Ref:2448294)   #12
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Would Toyota really want to give up, when, after all these years they finally have a competitive car?

I can see them withdrawing as a team and just supplying engines to Williams (and Force India?)...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 24 Apr 2009, 03:08 (Ref:2448310)   #13
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
I can't remember where I read it today but Bernie said he wants 13 teams next year, and there is talk he may be offering packages to help them. There have been rumours of approaches by as many as 6 new teams. Obivously they won't all happen and we may lose a team so if it is 13 teams Bernie wants, I suspect it will be 13 teams Bernie gets.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 06:43 (Ref:2448354)   #14
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that some major will leave.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2448545)   #15
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The fact that 3 new teams are seemingly very interested in joining ht eparty, surly indicates that cost cutting measures are seen as likely to succeed. In which case, I wonder why any current teams would pull out now, just when costs are apparently going down?

What is happening with Torro Rosso. I have even lost track of who owns that team now?
Old 24 Apr 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2448550)   #16
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
What is happening with Torro Rosso. I have even lost track of who owns that team now?
It's still owned by Dietrich Mateschitz, who also owns the Red Bull team.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2448555)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'm almost of the opinion that a series can never have too many entrants?

Yes there will need to be a grid limit, i'm thinking 26 as we had a few years ago and certainly most venues are perfectly able to cater for that number, maybe with teams losing a garage space at the older venues if necessary.

I'd actually love to see grids of 30 cars, but at somewhere like Monaco that would obviously be a no-no!
Old 24 Apr 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2448648)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

I'd actually love to see grids of 30 cars, but at somewhere like Monaco that would obviously be a no-no!
It would be very interesting though wouldn't it ?
Old 24 Apr 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2448662)   #19
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
26 cars on the grid was always OK. The pits of most racetracs run on these days should be large enough to allow for 30 entries even.
Good luck to all the new entries for their campaigns.

But please, no more pre-qualifying. Teams that don't pre-qualify just aren't sustainable in the long run. So the maximum number of entries should really be at 30 cars.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2448710)   #20
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares if the pit allocation is one garage per car etc. Is it just me when I think of the amount of cars in the 80's was great. Even if some of them were complete dogs built from spaghetti in some Italian back street garage. They were interesting. Its what F1 needs to get rid of this sterile elitist environment where it is now.
It gave another angle to watch GP racing. Remember 1992 when Hill got that Brabham onto the grid at Silverstone? You will start watching both ends of the grid. It might dilute what we have now but with the proposed budget cap cant see it ever happening) it will be achievable.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2448746)   #21
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crikey, what a state Formula One has got into if 24 is 'too many' cars.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2448775)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
After thinking about it, you are right. They could leave it as it now and with 26 cars eliminate the slowest 8 cars from each of the first 2 sessions.
Qualifying methods can change, but there is more than that. In 1989 there were 39 cars entered (I think the maximum). Prequalifying took the 'worse' cars over the allowed 26 starters and these prequalified to get get into qualifying proper. However 30 cars were allowed in qualifying, made up of the other 26 and four from pre-qualifying. These 30 then battled it out for 26 places.
I think 'worse' was bottom of the constructors, or newbie, over the last half a season - something like that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
But please, no more pre-qualifying. Teams that don't pre-qualify just aren't sustainable in the long run. So the maximum number of entries should really be at 30 cars.
Well that will self-fulfil what you are saying so I have no problem with it!
Old 24 Apr 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2448914)   #23
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
Qualifying methods can change, but there is more than that. In 1989 there were 39 cars entered (I think the maximum). Prequalifying took the 'worse' cars over the allowed 26 starters and these prequalified to get get into qualifying proper. However 30 cars were allowed in qualifying, made up of the other 26 and four from pre-qualifying. These 30 then battled it out for 26 places.
I think 'worse' was bottom of the constructors, or newbie, over the last half a season - something like that!Well that will self-fulfil what you are saying so I have no problem with it!
If we had 39 cars to watch I could live with watching pre-qualifying. The reliability of some of the lesser entries used to add a wild card to the races, the cars now are so reliable we no longer have that sadly.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2448939)   #24
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I'm almost of the opinion that a series can never have too many entrants?

Yes there will need to be a grid limit, i'm thinking 26 as we had a few years ago and certainly most venues are perfectly able to cater for that number, maybe with teams losing a garage space at the older venues if necessary.

I'd love to see 30 cars and all the excitement, including pre qualifying, that goes with it, but in today's financial climate I don't think it is possible.
As for Monaco being a no-no, that would be another bonus. The Monaco GP is not a race, for it to be a race you have to be able to overtake!
Old 24 Apr 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2448961)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb View Post
I think that some major will leave.
Yeah, that one !