Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 30 Apr 2009, 14:59 (Ref:2452949)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
4WD legal in F1 for 2010 for cost capped teams - how light could a 4WD system be made

Basically, the major changes for 2010 are a change of minimum weight to 620kg, and the ban on refuelling.

However, the cost capped teams will get the following breaks.

• More flexibility on the adjustable front wings, that's a higher motion range and less limitations on the changes per lap.
  • Movable rear wings, provided at all times they stay within the rules.
  • No engine rev limit
  • No limit to engines per season
  • Double maximum KERS boost to 120kW, to both axles.
  • Four wheel drive
Would it be worth a team's while to go for 4WD? Would it be possible to make a car that's on weight with it? Would the weight distribution be significantly harmed?

Just some thoughts. We could have several interesting variations next year.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 15:05 (Ref:2452955)   #2
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as you use an electrical KERS system it is very easy to implement on the front axle only using a motor/generator in each front upright linked to a central control system and battery. Engineers may know better but I suspect this could be done for no more weight than currect electrical KERS and would provide 4WD accelerating out of slow corners and at the start which is probably the only time it is any use anyway.

This solution would give limited 4WD (as you can only apply the KERS limited energy to the front axle) with no extra weight over any other KERS equipped car. In addition this year heavy drivers are struggling to get enough ballast in the front of the car when equipped with KERS so the more forward KERS weight might be a benefit.
Old 1 May 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2453608)   #3
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I agree with 4wd. I can't see how you can get a drive shaft past the driver to the front wheels.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 1 May 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2453679)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I agree with 4wd. I can't see how you can get a drive shaft past the driver to the front wheels.
Up the side or up both sides. Very few things are impossible if you throw enough money at it !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 May 2009, 17:51 (Ref:2453729)   #5
bodgit
Racer

United Kingdom
durham
bodgit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just put the KERS through the front wheels, could bee interesting in a wet race
Old 2 May 2009, 06:40 (Ref:2453974)   #6
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
Just put the KERS through the front wheels, could bee interesting in a wet race
Going in a straight line the front tyre have loads of spare grip 'capacity' being unused, so dumping the current 80 hp (or the proposed 160 hp) through them should be no problem - not even in the wet.

What might cause a problem is having no front differential. If two motors are used I guess they could ensure (by electronic control) that both front wheels are turned at the same speed, but I can't see how a differential effect could be provided in corner - but there are some very clever people who have probably solved that one!

I wish someone would publish the torque figure that the typical KERS system outputs - but I guess BHP numbers impress people more. What impresses me is the almost immediate increase in revs when KERS is used - that implies massive torque, which of course electric motors are renound for.
Old 2 May 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2453992)   #7
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
What might cause a problem is having no front differential. If two motors are used I guess they could ensure (by electronic control) that both front wheels are turned at the same speed, but I can't see how a differential effect could be provided in corner - but there are some very clever people who have probably solved that one!
If you have two motors the torque will be split automatically with the wheels rotating at different speeds so no need for a differential. The simplicity is one of several reasons putting the KERS on the front wheels is so attractive, the other big one being as you say that when accelerating in a straight line there is loads of spare grip available to get the power down.
Old 2 May 2009, 08:12 (Ref:2454011)   #8
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a way to get teams to keep KERS even though some of them (hey Flav?! is that you!) want to be rid of it.

Here says Spanky, this is an incentive to keep KERS - put it on you're front wheels too.

No limit to engines? Well you'll soon run out of money if you're a budget capped team, so there is a limit - the shallow wallet!

What's next? 6 wheelers again...
Old 5 May 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2455971)   #9
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I wish someone would publish the torque figure that the typical KERS system outputs - but I guess BHP numbers impress people more. What impresses me is the almost immediate increase in revs when KERS is used - that implies massive torque, which of course electric motors are renound for.

........ or I could work it out myself!

In 2009 the front tyres are 670mm diameter, which gives about 826 revs per mile.

At 100 mph they would be rotating at 1377 rpm.

therefore, in 2010 with 80 bhp per wheel equatees to 305 ft/lb torque per wheel!

at 150 mph the available torque would still be 203 ft/lb per wheel!

Of course in 2009 this is same amount of power is split between the two rear wheels. With maximum torque from the petrol engine being something around 240 ft/lb it is no wonder they shift up a gear when they hit the KERS button!
Old 5 May 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2456048)   #10
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Anyone running front wheel KERS at the start would blast past anything with only rear drive. Should make for some entertaining first corners.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.