Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Nov 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2577052)   #101
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
So we're now looking at 24 on the grid (including Sauber).

Selby
Old 6 Nov 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2577083)   #102
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFreak View Post
Concerning USF1; Germany's Auto Motor und Sport estimated the chance that they will be ready to race in 2010 at "zero". They have done no crash testing yet. This procedure cannot be simulated on a supercomputer and needs to be accomplished before the official FIA tests begin.

I think it's looking less probable every day.
I will admit things are a little shady over there and my confidence not as high as earlier, BUT do any of the new teams have a rolling chassis yet? It seem the folks using Lotus' name are the farthest along... maybe.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2577101)   #103
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted bennett View Post
I guess this is the 'RPM' segment mentioned previously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbrHk0EmQP0

The piece of tooling block on the 5 axis could be a section of the chassis pattern or it might be for a mock up.
The part they were machining looks like a rear hub
Old 6 Nov 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2577221)   #104
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
The part they were machining looks like a rear hub
That would be my guess for the alloy component but it just seemed a bit beefy, however it was not finished so could end up looking much less beefy.
I didn't really want to hazzard a guess at such an early stage.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2577703)   #105
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
My mistake, the wind tunnels are still operating at 24/7, but now can only use 60% size models with wind speeds not in excess of 50 metres per second.
What are the ramifications of the scaling and the limit? How does that stuff work?

Just thinking it out, 50 m/S works out to something like 186 kph. And it seems the 60% scaling would scale up the effective wind speed. (My logic is that, for a 60% model, a molecule of air would take the same time to move from the front of the model to the back as would a molecule of air moving over a full-size car at about 300 kph. That seems to be a useful test regime.)

But how about air pressure over the aerodynamic surfaces, and drag? Or, for that matter, Reynolds number? For the life of me, I can't work that out in my head.

I think I need to do some Googling.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide, or pointing me in the right direction.

Tom
Old 7 Nov 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2577772)   #106
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Force India VJM02...

The Lotus design...

To my mind, it looks like the Force India designers had opted to go down the high nose route for desing, so as a result the wing hangs a long way below.

Lotus have also opted to go for a high nose, and so the design will undoubtedly look similar.

If working to the same rules, designs will show some similarity - are FI saying that no-one can use a high nose design?

Looking for differences, I would say the Force India nose is considerably wider than the Lotus design. Should Force India complain about Red Bull's wide nose copying their design?
Old 9 Nov 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2578805)   #107
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not having much knowledge of and no actual experience in CFD I asked a
question on the Technology forum : http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118580

It seems to me that the new teams must struggle unless the CFD modelling that their engineers use has recent empirical data but with so much relience on CFD we can expect great similarities in design.

We are likely to have a good season of racing in 2010 with many potential winners and the added interest will be in which of the new teams can get into the points.

For 2011 perhaps tyre comptetition should be introduced again?
Old 9 Nov 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2578814)   #108
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post

For 2011 perhaps tyre comptetition should be introduced again?
Will this "tyre competition" involve the team that can come up with the most money getting the tyres that best suit its car ?

We've been there before, it wasn't pretty, and only served the purpose of proving that one F1 tyre can be made to go faster than another if you are prepared to throw vast sums of money at it.

And of course the other thing is, that as the cars go faster (which they inevitably will in a tyre war) then the rules will need to be changed more often in order to slow the cars down, and that isn't what FOTA the FIA or any of the teams want.

Last edited by Marbot; 9 Nov 2009 at 11:00.
Old 9 Nov 2009, 13:21 (Ref:2578890)   #109
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Plus, as mentioned previously, it's an easy excuse. I think people forget just about irritating press conferences/interviews became, as they were COMPLETELY tyre based. "Well, we know the Michelin's are quicker this weekend" etc. It turns in to a best of the rest scenario, which we don't want.

Selby
Old 9 Nov 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2578988)   #110
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes OK, so you two guys - should we have control tyres for all racing? Cut out that variable everywhere?
Old 9 Nov 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2578992)   #111
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I still like the variation on the tyre types, but there should certainly be an option tyre to go through the whole race, only if the tyre is managed properly! It'd make for some excellent gambles for someone from the back of the grid.

Selby
Old 9 Nov 2009, 15:57 (Ref:2578998)   #112
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
There should be the option to run the whole way without changing tyres. Start on the same compound as used in Quali.
Simples.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2579469)   #113
dwf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Penkridge, Staffs
dwf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The two cars look quite the same because the designer was the same. He will run the rules the same way because look how Force India moved forward. Lotus would love that progress
Old 10 Nov 2009, 16:20 (Ref:2579607)   #114
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Cosworth are confident that all four new teams will be on the grid next season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80119
Old 10 Nov 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2579610)   #115
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Cosworth are confident that all four new teams will be on the grid next season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80119
That should be a good indicator.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2579672)   #116
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
random though for today - wonder if Toyota would be willing to sell the IPR for their 2010 car to one of the new teams?

If I were running USF1 (and was not an elaborate hoaxer), that's what I would be looking at.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2579688)   #117
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Podcast interview with Peter Windsor (USF1)...

http://www.formula1blog.com/2009/11/...peter-windsor/

Interview runs over 40 minutes and covers a good bit of topics including the recent press reports (crash testing) and negative rumors about the status of USF1, progress on their car, BMW, Toyota, drivers (not much hope for US driver in 2010, but they look to have some type of driver program for US drivers), etc.

They clearly still have a long hard road to make the grid in 2010, but overall it sounds more positive than recent press reports and rumors.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2579691)   #118
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
random though for today - wonder if Toyota would be willing to sell the IPR for their 2010 car to one of the new teams?

If I were running USF1 (and was not an elaborate hoaxer), that's what I would be looking at.
I would think there is some value in the IPR for a defunct team. But I also think the major issues with the new teams is not getting a design in place, but rather building the team (car, staff, etc.). Also, assuming you could buy a good design from someone, I think you would not just need the design, but also need to know "why" it works. Especially when it comes to developing the car going forward. There is no substitute for experience. So in short even if any of the new teams was gifted a good car, they are going to struggle. If I struggle (and learn), I would rather do it with my own design.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2579692)   #119
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marbot ;} "time machine"
Old 10 Nov 2009, 19:46 (Ref:2579703)   #120
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post

Building consistently poor/unpredictable chassis is one of the reasons why Toyota are leaving.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2579708)   #121
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Building consistently poor/unpredictable chassis is one of the reasons why Toyota are leaving.
I dunno about that, it seemed to be pretty damn good this season, with proper drivers like Kimi, Alonso or Hamilton I'm sure Toyota would have clocked up more points than Ferrari this season
Old 10 Nov 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2579713)   #122
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sjøholm View Post
I dunno about that, it seemed to be pretty damn good this season, with proper drivers like Kimi, Alonso or Hamilton I'm sure Toyota would have clocked up more points than Ferrari this season
Front of the grid in Bahrain, back of the grid in Monaco. Why would you want to buy someone elses problems?
Old 10 Nov 2009, 22:43 (Ref:2579801)   #123
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently the subject of them selling the designs was in Le Parisien today, funnily enough
Old 11 Nov 2009, 05:04 (Ref:2579927)   #124
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Podcast interview with Peter Windsor (USF1)...

http://www.formula1blog.com/2009/11/...peter-windsor/

Interview runs over 40 minutes and covers a good bit of topics including the recent press reports (crash testing) and negative rumors about the status of USF1, progress on their car, BMW, Toyota, drivers (not much hope for US driver in 2010, but they look to have some type of driver program for US drivers), etc.

They clearly still have a long hard road to make the grid in 2010, but overall it sounds more positive than recent press reports and rumors.

Saw this as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMh3qu5GtZA
Old 11 Nov 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2580166)   #125
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently there's now talk that that useless nit Pizzonia's in the running at Manorvirgin. Must be bringing money