Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 May 2007, 01:23 (Ref:1916951)   #1
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Skaife, what's doing?

Ok so some of you were probably expecting this but after the weekend so far at Winton I recon it’s a valid question.

I know all the Holden heads will spring to his defense but I’d believe even some of them will start wondering.

Twenty years seems like it might have been one too many but I doubt we will see one M Skaife do the honorably Bradley thing and step aside.

Fair dinkum he’s spent more time on the grass this weekend than a Nimbin local and at no time appeared near the pace, home track and the entire car set-up goof.

We got fed all the team ownership crap was affecting him but I recon as far back as when MA came into the series, and pressured him on genuine constant occasions have we ever seen that pure MS speed and skill (that we all knew he had) displayed more than on the rare occasions.

Late 90’searly 00’s was MS at his best and (without digging up actual data) I don’t recon we have seen him put together a competitive series since.

Sure he has/was quick, and on occasion the fastest, but one lap/race at one venue just isn’t what a driver with what he has at his disposal is expected to deliver.

He hasn’t contended for years now and after yesterday (if you were the boss) you’d call him in Monday and tell him that if he doesn’t at least win a round or two THIS year then he’s sweeping the floors next year.

But of coarse MS is the “cough” the owner so that just isn’t going to happen.

MS is a champion but after the weekend so far if he didn’t go back to the motel and look into the mirror and wonder where it’s all gone I’d be amazed.

Call this a MS bash if that’s how you justify someone having a go at him, but his Winton effort so far would embarrass a weekend club racer.
Old 20 May 2007, 02:55 (Ref:1916966)   #2
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People have bad days.

Equal 4th in the championship (beore the start of this round) says he's still got drive!

Going by your theory (of if someone has a bad race they are done and dusted) every ford driver but winterbottom better quit, having been out qualifyed but 2 rookies, one in a brand new car.
Old 20 May 2007, 03:37 (Ref:1916981)   #3
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
every ford driver but winterbottom better quit, having been out qualifyed but 2 rookies, one in a brand new car.
off topic for this thread, but seeing as though you mentioned it - does say something, doesn't it?
Old 20 May 2007, 04:01 (Ref:1916984)   #4
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
off topic for this thread, but seeing as though you mentioned it - does say something, doesn't it?
I was just offering a reason why skaifey didn't perform.

Look at Clipsal, courtyney was on pole, but got beaten by the rookies this round, was what i was getting at. Not tomention the rest of the ford drivers
Old 20 May 2007, 05:21 (Ref:1917000)   #5
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And he certainly didn't improve today.
Let's face facts, his 3 teamates are in the same car built by the same people and he's being hosed by them. His time is up.
Or we could go with the theory over at V8Kinder that says Tom is giving Mark inferior equipment on purpose!
Nah, his time is up.
Old 20 May 2007, 05:53 (Ref:1917014)   #6
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark's never been strong at Winton from memory. I'm pretty sure he's only gone well there in Gibson machines and when HRT were the peak team.

Looking at his team mate, Todd didn't have a great weekend either, but substantially better than Mark did.

Should mark step aside? Well, he's performing worse than Todd and the Toll guys, but I think he's still up there. Short answer, No, with a But.

Mark should probably take a step that alot of sportsmen/women do these days, and employ the services of a sports psychologist. He obviously has some stresses that are taking away from his performances or just needs to find that fire again to bring some results in. He has also referenced his bad back in the past, causing a sciatic problem. This doesn't just cause pain, it lowers reflexes and reaction times. There's probably a few things he could look at doing to assist him.

Love him or hate him, and throw as many excuses in the world out there for his winning record, he is a 5 time series champion. He has beaten such amazing team mates as Jim Richards, Craig Lowndes and Jason Bright. You don't record these sort of stats just by having a quick car - it sure helps, though. And his last win was a mere 5 years ago, in which time he has still won rounds, races, achieved poles and, let's not forget, won his 5th Bathurts crown.

So, while I have the red goggles on, I will say he is lacking form at the moment. But it's knee-jerk reactions in this sport that cause problems. Let's make a call on this at the end of 07?
Old 20 May 2007, 06:06 (Ref:1917018)   #7
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think it was just a very bad round for him and he will bounce back.
Old 20 May 2007, 08:44 (Ref:1917070)   #8
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He generally doesn't do so well on the tighter circuits unless he has pole and leads...

Skaife's quicker than most on the faster tracks, and is usually quick at the business end of the season.

Saying Skaife's days are numbered is also saying Lowndes' is underperforming because his younger teammate is toasting him.

And do we also need to mention of Russell Ingall in the same sentence?

Old 20 May 2007, 09:09 (Ref:1917081)   #9
stmorri
Veteran

stmorri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way Skaifey's luck is going and with Seton's renowned lack of luck at the mountain, Bathurst could be interesting.
Old 20 May 2007, 09:11 (Ref:1917086)   #10
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmorri
The way Skaifey's luck is going and with Seton's renowned lack of luck at the mountain, Bathurst could be interesting.
I was thinking that when it was announced

considering his luck, i'm amazed anyone would contemplate driving with him.

That said tho, it would be good to see him finally crack it after all those years of trying, and coming close
Old 20 May 2007, 09:47 (Ref:1917105)   #11
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He only has to make it to the 2nd turn to have a better race then last year.
Old 20 May 2007, 11:03 (Ref:1917152)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well lets put it another way, would some of the ford young guns be doing a better job in the same car?
Old 20 May 2007, 11:09 (Ref:1917158)   #13
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
nver know bad luck+bad luck might= good luck.
Old 20 May 2007, 12:30 (Ref:1917208)   #14
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
well lets put it another way, would some of the ford young guns be doing a better job in the same car?
Of course they would.
Old 20 May 2007, 19:14 (Ref:1917416)   #15
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
Looking at his team mate, Todd didn't have a great weekend either.......
I had to have a giggle at John Kelly's face when Todd took Garth out....what a predicament to be in for poor John - your son takes out your driver
Old 20 May 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1917553)   #16
stmorri
Veteran

stmorri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
nver know bad luck+bad luck might= good luck.
Yes that had occurred to me too......-1x-1=+1.
Old 21 May 2007, 00:59 (Ref:1917584)   #17
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Latest news is that Mark Skaife is to be excluded from the results at Winton under Standing Regulation 7.1 (vi).

"Repetition of serious mistakes or the appearance of lack of control over the vehicle (such as leaving the track) may entail the exclusion of the driver concerned."
Old 21 May 2007, 01:05 (Ref:1917585)   #18
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Latest news is that Mark Skaife is to be excluded from the results at Winton under Standing Regulation 7.1 (vi).

"Repetition of serious mistakes or the appearance of lack of control over the vehicle (such as leaving the track) may entail the exclusion of the driver concerned."
Zero Points for the round or exclusion.... hmm... still leaves him about equal with the Moral Champ in the standings hey bois
Old 21 May 2007, 01:25 (Ref:1917588)   #19
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Skaife excluded from the race?
He should be excluded from the series because of the ownership farce which is STILL going on.
Old 21 May 2007, 04:36 (Ref:1917624)   #20
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km
Zero Points for the round or exclusion.... hmm... still leaves him about equal with the Moral Champ in the standings hey bois

but everyone knows if lowndes doesn't win it's because his car is a dud
Old 21 May 2007, 06:17 (Ref:1917641)   #21
gcalvert
Rookie

Australia
Australia
gcalvert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's trying to hard. Common problem and Mark seems to fall for this trap a bit easier than some. In fact some could be criticised for not trying at all sometimes.....
Old 21 May 2007, 07:23 (Ref:1917675)   #22
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its called competition, and the competition is changing from year to year. So Skaife, Lowndes and the like have bad days, the series would not be what it is without them and you can only measure how good the young guys are against the old stagers. This is the same in all sports in that you stil get dyas when the young blokes are given a lesson by the older blokes.

I'm sure it hurts the likes of Skaife and Lowndes to be beaten by their team mates, but this is inevitable.
Old 21 May 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1917764)   #23
MR666
Rookie

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
MR666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that im a Skaife fan or anything but maybe he was just having a bad day, it does happen.
Old 22 May 2007, 06:15 (Ref:1918492)   #24
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd have to agree that Skaifey was trying too hard. Whilst the Television did a good job of tracking Skaifey on several of his off track excursions, those that were there (and particularly those who take a vested interest in the performance of Car 2) know that he went off track several other times.

The word Bizarre comes to mind, it was obvious that the car wasn't behaving very well, it seemed to understeer terribly, and at times through turn 3 did some bizarre things mid corner, but, and a big but, Skaife was clearly over driving the car. On the outside of cars where you just dont pass, down the inside heavily under brakes where theres just no grip.. he'd gain 5 positions to lose another 10.

It began with a bad qualifying position, then an off through turn 1 lap 1, and from there, he was playing catchup, but in all honesty playing too hard for the conditions.

Disappointing for HRT fans like me. But you know what, overall, what a great weekend racing wise, the rain really mixed up the racing, and whilst Winton is Skaifeys bogey track, I'll be back next year !
Old 22 May 2007, 06:27 (Ref:1918496)   #25
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6

Seriously? Wow...

Makes you wonder how the WPS cars got away with that in 04/05.

Thats not good news at all. And it sets a pretty scary presedence - what is defined as a "lack of control"? Does this mean someone who is BLINDINGLY quick and goes off 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 times but still wins can be excluded?