Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Mar 2003, 00:37 (Ref:522967)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The Second Off-Season

I remember we discussed this last year, and Pook said that he'd remedy this situation. But he hasn't. This gap between rounds 1 and 2 needs to be eliminated. None of the motorsport news will be about CART for far too long. The spotlight is there for the stealing! Hopefully next year Brazil will fill the gap.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 00:43 (Ref:522976)   #2
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah totally agree macdaddy. He did recognise it, and I can only think you are correct, that Cart is going to take it for one more year because they are thinking of dropping Brazil or another venue into the gap.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 01:41 (Ref:523039)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to back weekends in Brazil, definitly.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 01:56 (Ref:523061)   #4
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well, there's nothing going on this weekend...

hold on, there's the Grand Am/IRL racing at Homestead...

hmmmmm... like I said, there's nothing going on this weekend...
Old 3 Mar 2003, 02:02 (Ref:523067)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there will be a race in Brazil next year to fill it. Emmo wants a race there, Pook surely understands the massive popularity of the sport down there.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 02:17 (Ref:523083)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why couldn't St. Petes been one week from today? That would fix their problem.

With respect to the IRL race, I watched for a few mins and noted start/finish position. Dario really didn't impress, compared to Michael who's decided his career is over and Kannan. CART's final revenge: CART made Dario somebody, leaving CART and going to the IRL may end Dario's career. Then again, Dario's never been much of an oval driver and lifting slightly off the throttle 1/3 of the way into the corner and bleading 5MPH, isn't exactly a testimet of a driver's abilities.

Last edited by Snrub; 3 Mar 2003 at 02:17.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 02:33 (Ref:523087)   #7
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
All the talk seems to be Brazil and Emmo definately wants it and Pook wants it, even more if it's street fighting. Brazil would go off for a street race, it's would make Surfers look like IRL Fontana.......well, maybe just Homestead.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 02:40 (Ref:523089)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoy the number of races CART runs and hopefully they will add a few more in the future. That being said, they should follow the F1 schedule....a race every other weekend. St.Pete's, Miami, Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Fontana, Houston?, Monterrey (Mexico), Mexico City, Australia, and Brazil? could run in the spring and fall. Milwaukee, Portland, Cleveland, Elkhart Lake, Mid-Ohio, Denver, Chicago?, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Brands Hatch, Germany, Estoril?, and Belgium? could run from mid April to the end of August. Some races could be run on back to back weekends...if they are not to far from each other. The rest of the races will have to be run every other weekend. Waiting a month in between races is pathetic and driving fans nuts.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 02:48 (Ref:523093)   #9
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
As you say Dov back to back if they are close but every other week woud give a good feed of action and keep the tempo and interest up. Part the reason why NASCAR works is it's a soap opera week after week. Maybe we don't go that often but 3 or 4 week spread is tough.

Last edited by The Snout; 3 Mar 2003 at 02:49.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 04:38 (Ref:523155)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Street racing in Brazil?! Dammit! The race tracks are already in the suburbs!

Jacarapagua and Brasilia would be awesome for Champcars, and the series needs more legitimate road courses on the schedule!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 3 Mar 2003 at 04:39.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 06:31 (Ref:523186)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Street racing in Brazil?! Dammit! The race tracks are already in the suburbs!

Jacarapagua and Brasilia would be awesome for Champcars, and the series needs more legitimate road courses on the schedule!
Couldn't agree more.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 12:10 (Ref:523361)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brasilia is in Outer Space. Unless it has settled up around there a lot since I was there. But as long as we have no gaps in May, the gaps don't bother me, especially this year when new teams are going to join up, it gives them time to prepare.

The Other Guys were pre-empted by a telethon here, and we won't see the 17 car GA race until next Saturday. Seventeen cars! We draw more at Mosport in April to a club race.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 20:21 (Ref:523764)   #13
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
On gaps in May, read somewhere that Chicago are interested in having a street race on Memorial Day weekend, up against Indy. How do we think we'd go ? Personally, I'd like to have a race then and have more activity during May, it would have to be made big however.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 20:45 (Ref:523784)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a street race in the Northeast? Washington DC(think ALMS!), Baltimore, Philly, New York City, or Boston could be great venues and draw into a big untapped market.

I know it was attempted in NYC back in 92 but they couldn't quite work it out. I think the Jersey Meadowlands tried it to, but I'm not sure. Anyone know of any other attempts to bring it to the Northeast? Does anyone think it could work?

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Mar 2003, 20:46 (Ref:523786)   #15
TheRob
Rookie

Canada
Kamloops, BC
TheRob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that if they're going to have a race go up against Indy it needs to be in Mexico, Canada, or over seas. Have it in any of those spots and it's a huge success. I'm not saying an American city wouldn't support a race on that weekend, I just don't think they can compete with Indy as well as the Coca Cola 600.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 20:50 (Ref:523790)   #16
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Yeah they raced around the Meadowlands. Pook is saying a couple of more markets are going to be filled with added races in the next year or 2 and things will be almost set, I would think Cart needs to get into that market and would expect us have some presence up there. It would work and if they could make it part of a festival or something it could be huge over time.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 23:10 (Ref:523960)   #17
jklein6419
Racer

United States
florida
jklein6419 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if cart were to go against indy, i would love to see them on a superspeedway in canada if there are any. there would be a huge turnout. probably the second highest attended open wheel oval race outside the indy 500
Old 4 Mar 2003, 01:38 (Ref:524055)   #18
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The streets of Rio will undoubtedly see a race in the near future, but I agree about the whole need for natural road courses. It's just harder to promote a race that's miles out of an urban area than it is to promote one where city traffic is disrupted and the entire place is forced to pay attention. CART has to be careful about having too many races though, and I don't think you could financially justify a whole lot more than 20 or 21. You can't expect to be like NASCAR, and race ALL THE TIME (Dammit!! Get off my TV!!!), nor is there any chnace of competing with the Indy500. Let the CART drivers run there if they want and when they win you'll bring a few new fans with them!

In the mean time, I have no idea what to o with the next three weeks. Maybe I should get back to my life... or something...

but CART is more important...
Old 4 Mar 2003, 01:47 (Ref:524057)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to Sebring! That's what I'm doing with my "time off" .... if you want to call it that. And trying to figure out what they're doing at the media offices in Brands.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 03:19 (Ref:524089)   #20
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Liz, you are going the wrong direction, Tiago is in Arizona.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 03:24 (Ref:524092)   #21
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Like the math signature As-de-mim.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 03:29 (Ref:524094)   #22
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega99
The streets of Rio will undoubtedly see a race in the near future
Bridgestone presents the World Urban Racing Series Teams powered by Ford?

This is the Rio road course, for those who've only seen races on the oval. Imagine the Champcars, with no TC but their limited ground effects on this track... It'd be amazing.

http://videofiles1.f1gp.ru/video/tracks/jacarepagua.mpg

From qualifying for the 1989 Brazilian Grand Prix, btw.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 4 Mar 2003 at 03:38.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 03:31 (Ref:524095)   #23
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Lee, that's WURST for short.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 03:39 (Ref:524097)   #24
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yes it is.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 04:09 (Ref:524109)   #25
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Bridgestone presents the World Urban Racing Series Teams powered by Ford?
You make a good point... I didn't know Rio had a road course. That's awesome.

On an unrelated "Urban" note, what happened to Detroit? I didn't actually notice it was gone until today! Now that's not paying attention for you...

Bottom line, CART is great because it races on all types of tracks in all parts of the world with drivers from everywhere. We need a balance.