Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 10 Aug 2003, 20:54 (Ref:684501)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team American Spirit-Alive and Well!

Well, it was a great race for Team American Spirit at Mid-Ohio today. It just goes to show you what a Reynard can do when set up properly on the right circuit, in the right weather, with the right drivers, and all the stars and planets are in line!

Great race by Ryan, he showed alot of poise and control in a pressure packed situation. He kept the pace and his pit stops were flawless, although a hair slower than Patricks, there-by he lost 2nd.

Then theres Jimmy. Man was he on it today, angry because he lost his best pit crew members, and frustrated from the lousy qual position he had. I say keep him angry, it made him run like a mad dog! To spin with only 8 laps to go,OOOHHHHH, that hurt!

So what do you think, can they run this well again, or was this a one time fluke?
Old 10 Aug 2003, 21:03 (Ref:684511)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Team American Spirit-Alive and Well!

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
and all the stars and planets are in line!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=42002

Last edited by Adam43; 10 Aug 2003 at 21:04.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 22:51 (Ref:684582)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe at another track they will do well, but I don't expect them to run up at the front from now on.

Jimmy was kicking ass. It was such a shame that he went off. IMO Jimmy had been very mediocre for the last 5 years or so. Every once in a while you see a flash of briliance out of him, just like this weekend. Yes their car was hooked up, but it was clear he was driving extremely well.

Hunter-Raey as well. He looked VERY good compared to Jourdain. It was more than just the car. He wasn't as fast as Jimmy, but then again I don't think PT or Bourdais in in Jimmy's car would have been faster.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 23:18 (Ref:684602)   #4
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very nice to see, but I agree, this won't happen frequently.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 00:04 (Ref:684624)   #5
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On SPEED today they noted that ASTJ got the Fordsythe Reynard Specials leased on a "sweetheart deal".
Old 11 Aug 2003, 00:28 (Ref:684631)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the other hand what would Forsyth do with spare Reynards?

Tom also noted that Ryan's sponsor is "Ryan" and would be happy with his performance.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 00:53 (Ref:684643)   #7
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly, I am coming back to the forum - now as a married man... - with bad news to share.

Having been an admirer of the team since its inception, I was also delighted to see ASTJ doing so well in Mid-Ohio. Johansson, Vasser and Hunter-Reay's (as well as everybody else's at ASTJ) success is long overdue.

However, there are four aspects that CART fans should know:

1.) As I had already reported (after talking to ASTJ members in Milwaukee), the team is under serious financial trouble.

2.) I understand that right before the recent Road America race Johansson approached Chris Pook about a special "break" to be given to his team. According to a team mechanic, nothing came out of this discussion.

3.) I also understand that Derrick Walker and Paul Newman are being "sympatethic" to ASTJ.

4.) I am convinced that ASTJ has confidencially contacted IRL about a switch to that category in 2004. There is just too many people conjecturing about this for too long in the CART paddock.

Last edited by Muzza; 11 Aug 2003 at 00:55.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 00:54 (Ref:684645)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Ryan can get a real sponsor now?

Ah, wishful thinking!

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Aug 2003, 00:58 (Ref:684647)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Well that would be terrible news muzza, if true, but its about par for the course, right?

Congrats on your marriage(I think)LOL!

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Aug 2003, 07:36 (Ref:684731)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Congratulations, Muzza!
Old 11 Aug 2003, 07:51 (Ref:684743)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
...And thanks for the link, AdamAshmore! Nobody ever told me that the "Parc Ferme" was open!
Old 11 Aug 2003, 08:08 (Ref:684759)   #12
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one Muzza! Theres a lot to be said for it.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 08:25 (Ref:684774)   #13
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muzza!
Old 11 Aug 2003, 11:36 (Ref:684908)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets hope the excellent work this weekend will help the team.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 12:51 (Ref:684987)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
P.S. Thank you, Muzza, for reminding us that no matter how bright things look, there is always a reason to turn that smile upside down. Did you know that more than half of all marriages end in divorce within the first four years?
Old 11 Aug 2003, 21:59 (Ref:685611)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats Muzza! It's bad news on ASTJ, but it's not off what you'd expect. Heck, at least there's some sponsors in PK Racing and Dale Coyne cars, but in ASTJ?

About talking to the IRL... TG would like it. American team, American drivers..
Old 11 Aug 2003, 22:02 (Ref:685616)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liiiiiiiiz. Don't be like that. There's a difference between being negative about CART and being realistic. I hope ASTJ gets sponsors, but I highly doubt it. If PK has got a sponsor without having had any result virtually, how come ASTJ has got none?
Old 11 Aug 2003, 23:08 (Ref:685682)   #18
Liz
Veteran

I'm being realistic, Jordi. Those stats about divorce are just as relevant to a wedding announcement as breaking into a congratulatory thread for ASTJ to remind us that they are bankrupt and fading fast ...

PK Racing has an incredibly wealthy businesman with connections for a co-owner. ASTJ has a race car driver without any connections for an owner. Perhaps that has something to do with the sponsorship differences.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 00:00 (Ref:685712)   #19
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right on Liz! add a little ballance here.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 00:42 (Ref:685737)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
From CART.com:
RHR:
“Since we got that Reynske wing at Road America, it really suits my driving style and we qualified well at both places. The guys did a great job in the pits and in the trailer today and I did my job.

This was talked about before, but I didn't realize it had happened. Guess we know now why they stood a chance. Forsyth setup help and the chasis modification they deserved.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 02:48 (Ref:685766)   #21
Liz
Veteran

I never saw Jimmy Vasser drive like that before. He was like a man on a mission! I really thought he would have won that race if he hadn't overreached himself at the very end.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 22:25 (Ref:686698)   #22
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
I think Vasser hadn't been that effective since... 1998?