Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Jul 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2256722)   #1
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver Extraction from F1 Car

Toyota have made noises about being unhappy with Glock's removal from his car on Sunday as the marshals / doctors on scene allegedly undid his belts and got him out without waiting for the rescue unit to arrive.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=35493

Last year when i did the GP i remember being specifically told that should a driver have a big incident, a G meter would trigger a light on the dash. If this was on it meant the driver had to be left in the car until the rescue units arrived, who would then do their thing. Unless the car was causing immediate danger to the driver (ie. fire) or the driver got out himself, we were under no circumstances to try and remove him in case of back injury.

Was it the same this year? I'm assuming an FIA request such as this would also be universal for all circuits, unlike say flagging rules where some countries see it necessary to stand in front of a wall to wave a yellow... <cough>
Old 23 Jul 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2256752)   #2
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant vouch for the accuracy, however grandprix.com reported yesterday that Marshals arrived within about 30 secs of the impact and that "an Extraction Car" was on the scene very promptly (within a minute according to the article), However they say there was no sign of the FIA medical car and given the images I have seen of the impact it seems strange that there was not more "medical activity" before he was moved.

Clearly the perception is that procedures broke down to some extent especially if the team are voicing concerns - hopefully this will ensure that procedures are clearly understood before another such incident occurs.

Source:- Here
Old 23 Jul 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2256762)   #3
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
Last year when i did the GP i remember being specifically told that should a driver have a big incident, a G meter would trigger a light on the dash. If this was on it meant the driver had to be left in the car until the rescue units arrived, who would then do their thing. Unless the car was causing immediate danger to the driver (ie. fire) or the driver got out himself, we were under no circumstances to try and remove him in case of back injury.

Was it the same this year?
Yep, although there was some confusion.... On the Friday we were told 'If it's blue it's OK, if White it's not'. On Saturday there was a clarification: 'If it's a pulsing pale blue then it's OK, if solid blue then wait for the extraction team'...
Old 23 Jul 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2256794)   #4
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm why don't they just use an analogue meter that sticks on the highest measurement? would be far easier especially with all the other pretty coloured lights in one of them things!
Old 24 Jul 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2257255)   #5
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The light is normally on the top of the nose cone not on the dashboard/steering wheel. It should be the only light in that location.