Closed Thread

Old 31 Dec 2008, 01:23 (Ref:2363090)   #1
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton honoured

The Queen's new years honours list sees Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton awarded a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) for "services to motor racing".

http://www.honours.gov.uk/media/1244...s_list2009.pdf (scroll to page 62 of 95).

Well done to Lewis.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 02:04 (Ref:2363107)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Tremendous Lewis well done...
Old 31 Dec 2008, 02:08 (Ref:2363109)   #3
Racenut7
Veteran

Racenut7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21065.html

DECEMBER 31, 2008

Lewis Hamilton MBE

Lewis Hamilton has been appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire in the New Year's Honours List.

"It is a massive honour and incredible privilege for me to receive an MBE from Her Majesty The Queen," he said. "It is the most amazing culmination to what has been quite a year for me. The support I have received from the UK as a whole has been fantastic and a huge motivation, it is something I am very appreciative of.

"This is not just a proud moment for me, but also for my family and every single person involved with the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Formula 1 team. I could not have achieved any of this without them.

"It has been an outstanding year for British sport as a whole, and it is great to see so many fellow sportsmen and women being honoured today.

"I am also very humbled to be included on the Honours list alongside all the members of the general public who have been recognised for their tireless work in such varied and worthwhile arenas. I am very fortunate to have been awarded for achieving my dream, it has required a lot of hard work and dedication, however it has been worth every single minute and I only hope that I can inspire young kids to do the same, whatever their dream may be."

There was also an MBE for Rob Austin, the former science and technology teacher, who established the Formula Schools design and technology competition in order to make engineering more popular and relevant to young people.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 02:20 (Ref:2363115)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Thank you Racenut7, but we are able to read.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2363177)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have to ask Why??
Old 31 Dec 2008, 08:21 (Ref:2363179)   #6
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Does this mean the Queen has now joined the Hamilton bandwagon as well?!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 31 Dec 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2363205)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm, i'm happy for the kid, but you have to wonder if its a bit premature. I can think of plenty of other more worthy recipients, but hey ho.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2363218)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
You have to ask Why??

WDC.

Have any other British WDC's not been similarly honoured? The fact that he's done it so early in his career makes not a jot of difference to me.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2363223)   #9
Blackadder
Rookie

United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Blackadder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought you had to win at least three motorsport world championships to receive a M.B.E.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 11:07 (Ref:2363232)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Does this mean the Queen has now joined the Hamilton bandwagon as well?!
It is not unusual for successful British sportsmen to be honoured. All of Britain's olympic gold-medalists received honours, with Chris Hoy given a knighthood.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2363234)   #11
teammoda
Racer

teammoda has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
Hmm, i'm happy for the kid, but you have to wonder if its a bit premature. I can think of plenty of other more worthy recipients, but hey ho.
Totally agree the kids been about two years and gets honoured,many have had a tougher route and given more contribution to motorsport and got nowt,I will be bloody amazed if Hamilton holds on to he's world crown this year.Kimi's going to have to step it up,Massa is so hungry for it, and Kubica,Vettal wont be far away.

Paul
Old 31 Dec 2008, 11:36 (Ref:2363248)   #12
BMW Süchtige
Rookie

European Union
BMW Süchtige is a back marker
I have never been more proud....

to be a republican
Old 31 Dec 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2363255)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teammoda
I will be bloody amazed if Hamilton holds on to he's world crown this year.
Is it "this year" already!!???

Then you should prepare to be amazed.I should say at this point that I'm no great 'fan' myself,but credit where credit's due.

Quote:
Kimi's going to have to step it up,Massa is so hungry for it, and Kubica,Vettal wont be far away.
I think Alonso could be his main threat.But,as ever,it's all down to the car isn't it.

Last edited by Marbot; 31 Dec 2008 at 11:56.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2363257)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Totally agree the kids been about two years and gets honoured
Does that really matter?

I doubt most of us had heard of Rebecca Adlington (aged 19) or Eleanor Simmonds (aged 14) before the summer, yet both acheived sporting success on the world stage and have been honoured for it. Just like Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2363270)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Süchtige
I have never been more proud....

to be a republican
and thus miss the point of these in the modern world. I don't believe that it is part of the republican cause to stop a country honouring its citizens? The Queen doesn't even chose them; they'd probably be better if she did!

Indeed Kylie was honoured in France:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...ed-822752.html
Oh wait, er,...
First thing that repulicans do after abolishing honours is re-introduce them with a catchy new name Terror, reign of.

I was thinking about this this morning, before I knew Lewis has one. Fair play, he should get something, but I think there should be a gap between the reason and the realisation of the honour. A sort of period of waiting to check they are of sound character (nothing to do with Lewis that comment).
Old 31 Dec 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2363271)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2363275)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh pants, forgot that bit.

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton MBE.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2363276)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
and thus miss the point of these in the modern world. I don't believe that it is part of the republican cause to stop a country honouring its citizens? The Queen doesn't even chose them; they'd probably be better if she did!

Indeed Kylie was honoured in France:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...ed-822752.html
Oh wait, er,...
That's right. It's natural that most countries honour their citizens. Felipe Massa was awarded in Brazil as the best brazilian driver in 2008 : http://capitalnews.com.br/ver_not.ph...=Not%C3%ADcias. It's a domestic thing and I believe it must be honoured, supported and celebrated as it keeps the sport motivated for the next generations.
Nice work to all.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2363278)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Oh yes! Congrats Lewis.It could be the first of many medals if Bernie gets his way.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2363314)   #20
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Congrats to Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2363346)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A bit soon no? But still people have gotten these sort of awards for far less and he is the first British Champion in 12 years. No mean feat. Congrats to Lewis.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 16:01 (Ref:2363351)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
If I was him I'd be annoyed that I only got an MBE when Damon Hill got an OBE for his title. I assume they plan to give him an upgrade with each future title...

I don't think it matters at all how long he's been in F1 - the fact is that he's achieved the biggest prize in his field in the shortest time ever. That's no mean feat, so why not recognise somebody who has been so successful?

Congratulations to him.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 31 Dec 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2363395)   #23
tony griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
california
tony griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Hailwood rescues Clay Reaggazoni from a burning car and and is awarded an MBE.

Hamilton does what he is paid for and gets the same ???

Non-sensical !
Old 31 Dec 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2363399)   #24
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony griffiths
Mike Hailwood rescues Clay Reaggazoni from a burning car and and is awarded an MBE.

Hamilton does what he is paid for and gets the same ???

Non-sensical !
As I understand it, Hailwood received the George Medal for his actions in rescuing Regazzoni, and the MBE for his sporting acheivements.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2363401)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
is it a bit premature for the 14 year old disabled swimmer to be honoured too?