Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 14 May 2012, 19:20 (Ref:3074521)   #1
daktari doc
Rookie

United Kingdom
devon
daktari doc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
which FF, pre 71, pre 81 or pre90 ?

I'm sure this question is asked by everyone looking at entering into formula ford racing. ? The younger element of the family says get as new as possible, can someone help and draw some lines in the sand for me.
i'm relocating to M3 corridor for work and understand that travel will be a big part of the seasonal cost.
Old 14 May 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3074526)   #2
dulon
Rookie

Malta
Kent
dulon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I started racing last year and the best advice i was given was ' sit on your hands'. Your right to ask the questions, get the info and consider it at leisure. Consider also using one of your race meetings budget to get a car that has been prepared properly and have a go. Doesn't need to be you first race meeting, a test day is good (cheaper and more track time). There are plenty of people on here that will give you the lowdown on each period of cars. ( I've sent you a pm)
Old 14 May 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3074583)   #3
acb9
Rookie

acb9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all comes down to your budget, the historics are more expensive but do mean you can race in all events, you can't expect to win against the modern cars if the race doesn't have a specific class for your car. Also keep in mind that the classics are split into pre 73 and pre 81. The pre 90's are cheaper at the moment, but with interest growing for these to use in champ of Brands and the festivals, not forgeting the races attached to the classics this year, this may not last.
Old 14 May 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3074597)   #4
dulon
Rookie

Malta
Kent
small point but the classics are pre 1974. Once youve taken everything onboard and start to have a look around, try and take someone with you or at least ask others about the car in question. pm'd again.
Old 15 May 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3075047)   #5
nigel grant
Rookie

nigel grant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We bought a historic formula ford merlyn and i have race in all three with this car. Firstly the historic formula fords are expensive but have large grids take silverstone this weekend for example we have 41 cars on the grid. Classic formula ford is epic racing with every person always willing to help if needed, i have great fun driving with the classics with close clean racing and a good chit chat afterwards, a very friendly atmosphere also the grids are getting alot bigger this year with an entry of 22 at brands, also the classic formula ford sometimes have a pre 90 race. I did one race in the Pre 90 at the end of last year having a great first race but unfortunately have no chance of keeping up in a historic car against the modern cars but still had a fantastic time.
Callum Grant
Old 16 May 2012, 09:14 (Ref:3075175)   #6
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
PRS RH01 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Historic ,Classic or Pre 90

Thanks for the kind words about Classics can i just add that the North West has a strong Pre 90 championship as well not forgetting James Beckett and his races that have a class for Pre 90 and you can race around Europe with him as well as Brands Grand pre if you have a Classic or Pre 90 (historics go with there championship) . Callum its always great to see you humble more modern machinery but The HSCC championship should be your goal this year and look forward to you joining us for the odd race . It was also nice to see you at Brands at the weekend helping a friend out in his shine Duckhams car . So not only a good peddler but also a good mate . What was also nice was when Ians Dulon wasnt ready James Buckton and his dad lent him there car and drove down from yorkshire to support him as well so the spirit of camaraderie lives on in Classics.

Just a quick thank you to all the marshals who helped Andy Powell after his accident .
Old 14 Jun 2012, 17:09 (Ref:3090964)   #7
daktari doc
Rookie

United Kingdom
devon
daktari doc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the growing grids at Silverstone, my interest in a 1980's FF has been re-ignited however, i'm concerned that the number of cars actually entering the pre 90 are largely existing pre81 cars.

Would i therefore be better to buy a pre 81 on the basis that a pre 90 may have no home, hence their low value ?
Old 14 Jun 2012, 17:22 (Ref:3090973)   #8
dulon
Rookie

Malta
Kent
I personally would love to own a pre71 so that i could enter every race that i could afford too, but then i admit that i'm rather taken with this racing thingymebob.

But in the absence of sufficient budget i am giving serious consideration to a pre90 myself since they are such good value, and if you look around there are a number of race series that they are already eligible for, the CFF pre 90, Champ of Brands, Semsec, Monoposto etc.

if the car your interested is cheap, just make sure its's actually 'good value for your money' and then dont lose the chance to get on the race circuit, look forward to seeing you out there soon.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3091164)   #9
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
You make a good point about about the pre90 we have 9 cars being prepared and several others who are just waiting to see what happens.Stuart who is winning our pre82 has his Reynard ready to go if anyone is brave enough to take him on . Last year the round at Oulton attracted a good number of the BRSCC runners and showed what might be but our next round is there on the 14th july so lets see .The race last year between stuart John Lobell and Ian Parkinson was epic as each shone at different times during the race .If i had spare cash i would be buying as many pre90 cars as i could as i know what is coming in the next two years hence the BARC keeping faith in the series .Read into that what you want . The pre82 cars that take part because of the excellent deal the BARC offer us to have another race.

Fuel to do a full season is around £600 a few of our drivers stick to the southen rounds as Dulon points out . You have the Semsec at Brands and Lydden, Combes own not forgetting James Becketts and mono so just cherry pick your races . I would love you to come and do just ours but so long as you racing you get my vote .

Peter

As Ian says sit on your hands a weigh up your options you are always welcome to come to any of our round i can always leave a ticket on the gate for you .
Old 15 Jun 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3091393)   #10
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by daktari doc View Post
Would i therefore be better to buy a pre 81 on the basis that a pre 90 may have no home, hence their low value ?
Old 17 Jun 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3093804)   #11
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
Diz has laughed for a good reason the North West has a very strong Pre90 championship and over the years have raced in it myself .
The main aim of our race is to try and get people to recommission cars in areas away from Oulton . That way we could get back to the good days when we had a Midlands and southern championship ,but as long as you have you have a ship without a rudder that particular club is going nowhere. I received today in the post Castle Combes race dates for 2013 by knowing these date if i ran a post 89 championship my drivers could be finding sponsors for cars that cost a more to run .
One final point i know Knockhill has a great Formula Ford championship and a fantastic circuit so if you get the chance go join them for a round you will be welcomed with open arms .

Peter
Old 18 Jun 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3094411)   #12
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS RH01 View Post
but as long as you have you have a ship without a rudder that particular club is going nowhere. I received today in the post Castle Combes race dates for 2013
Peter
Peter
Behave yourself and get off your
You don't do yourself any favours with your continuous public spat.

As for Combe dates, great.
It is quite easy to publish dates when you own your circuit and run the race meetings on it. It isn't so easy for the others out there.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3094607)   #13
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would look for a pre-90 for several reasons - one is that there is so much racing for these cars and their own championship. Secondly, a well driven Reynard/Mondiale/VD have proven to be able to beat the modern cars on equal footing. Lastly, was there ever a prettier club racing car than a Reynard FF88/89?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 22:55 (Ref:3095181)   #14
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
Peter
Behave yourself and get off your
You don't do yourself any favours with your continuous public spat.

As for Combe dates, great.
It is quite easy to publish dates when you own your circuit and run the race meetings on it. It isn't so easy for the others out there.
Good Point Diz

Just dont like to see the racing i love destroyed by clashing dates and all bar one person are prepared to work together . Wont mention it again .

Who is racing at Brands this weekend in James Becketts Grand Prix circuit track run . Its the perfect one for the HSCC boys to get some extra practice before there race later this year .
Old 23 Jun 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3096688)   #15
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HSCC HFF are at the Grand Prix track this coming w/end (June30/1 July) for the SuperPrix Sunday race (Sat eve BBQ) If Daktari Doc or anyone else want to look in on us they're welcome. Yellow wedge 27.
Croft after that at the Nostalgia Weekend, 2 races and a craicing weekend. Tin Helmets, Marilyn Monroes and Paddock musicians - FUN.
Dick Dixon HFF Drivers rep.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3097065)   #16
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikko View Post
The HSCC HFF are at the Grand Prix track this coming w/end (June30/1 July) for the SuperPrix Sunday race (Sat eve BBQ) If Daktari Doc or anyone else want to look in on us they're welcome. Yellow wedge 27.
Croft after that at the Nostalgia Weekend, 2 races and a craicing weekend. Tin Helmets, Marilyn Monroes and Paddock musicians - FUN.
Dick Dixon HFF Drivers rep.
Dikko

What a fantastic months worth of Racing Brands Grand Prix superb and then on to one of the best circuits with a great nostalgia feel thrown in . If anyone is going to ether look up Dikko you will be welcomed with open arms great guy great cars great championship . As always your welcome at ours as well our next is Oulton on the 14th July .

Peter