Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 10 Aug 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1679376)   #1
HoTWire
Racer

HoTWire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mod Prod suspension question

I've just been reading the MSA rules for Hillclimb Modified production cars, for that is what I wish to compete in.

I have a question regarding the suspension modifications allowed. It says I can't change the suspension type. So does that mean that I can't modify my current strut set up to be coil over?
Old 10 Aug 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1679530)   #2
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont know the ins and outs but I would suggest it means you cannot change the layout from that which the manufacturer intended....

It may be possible to uprate existing components but not to basically re-design the suspension......

Might be worth asking in the racers forum as well if you already havent ...
Old 10 Aug 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1679535)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll send it over with a redirect so it can be accessed from either section.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 06:38 (Ref:1679708)   #4
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the time this wording means you can't go from McPherson strut to Double A arms, or Live Axle to IRS.

In the end it is the eligibility scrutineers interpretation that really matters, and whether you think you have a strong enough case if you don't agree with them.

In the case of going coil over, if you aren't changing the spring centeline and you don't contravene another reg then it would be pretty difficult for the scruntineer to argue that you had changed the suspension type.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 07:09 (Ref:1679723)   #5
Cameron Winton
Racer

Cameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of the mod prod saloons run coilover struts. I don't think it would be a problem but best talk to the scrutineer who will look after eligibility for the events you wish to compete in. His/her name & contact details should be in the championship regs
Old 11 Aug 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1679862)   #6
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What car? The problem with modprod is that it is an amalgam of racing modsaloon and prodsports regs put together by an MSC committee that (in 1990) didn't really understand the implications (and, arguably, that it would ever be applied to kit cars!). In the case of modsaloons, those regs were specifically designed as a club racing formula that gave FIA Group2 cars somewhere to compete when the BTCC went Group 1. Aspects of them are intended to allow Group2 spec suspension but exclude Group4 on one particular model. Equally, enforcement at speed evnts is often non-existent, which angers those abiding by the letter and/or intent of the regs. Coil over rear in place of leaf springs is one aspect the original regs were intended to prevent.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1679899)   #7
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuauto
Coil over rear in place of leaf springs is one aspect the original regs were intended to prevent.
I would definately class this as a change of suspension type, unless the axle is now just located by the coil springs!
Old 13 Aug 2006, 22:48 (Ref:1681648)   #8
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
I would definately class this as a change of suspension type, unless the axle is now just located by the coil springs!
I have seen that.
Class had rules that allowed the addition of suspension components, intending to mean Watts link, compression strut, tramp bars/forward links, that sort of thing. One smart cookie put coil springs in, the leaf was left in place, which was about a stiff as cardboard in the vertical plane, but gave some lateral location.