Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Feb 2003, 17:11 (Ref:509695)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
2004 Prototype Regs

Does anyone know what shape these are likely to take? I haven't heard much.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 17:58 (Ref:509726)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsoct02.html

The red Piper is a proposed 2004 car.

It seems most new cars may well be coupes as they will not be penalised againt the open top cars. Listers LMP may be converted to a coupe in 2004 as the new cockpit regs allow easy conversion.

Power levels in 2004 will be returned to there 2002 level (10% more than in 2003), as new chassis regs will slow the cars down enough without cutting power. The new cars will also be less liable to flip at high speed (another reason why power was cut in 2003).

Last edited by JAG; 17 Feb 2003 at 18:01.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 00:36 (Ref:510083)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Few radical changes, then, though if it encourages a few more coupes, that's fine by me. What does this mean for current-spec cars, though? Are they automatically obsolete?
Old 18 Feb 2003, 06:19 (Ref:510234)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
The new cars will also be less liable to flip at high speed (another reason why power was cut in 2003).
Seeing the Bentley problem at Jerez, we could have doubt about the efficiency of the thing... well, actually, I don't know what happend to the car, I speak without knowing ...
Old 18 Feb 2003, 06:33 (Ref:510243)   #5
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What bently problem?!?! Do tell.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 08:34 (Ref:510299)   #6
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What does this mean for current-spec cars, though? Are they automatically obsolete?
All current cars will be able to race but will be handicaped in one form or another.

Quote:
What bently problem?!?! Do tell.
Johnny Herbert crashed during testing, I am not sure what happened as the report I have seen is in French, and my French is not brilliant. Perhaps Fab or someone can translate it for us.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 09:35 (Ref:510342)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
The french report doesn't give precisions about the crash... we're waiting. The main cause of the problems is usualy the flat bottom, but in this case, it could be a completely different problem : nothing says the car left off...

I have to apologize on my comments about JAG post (see above): he speaks about 2004 specs, and I do comment the 2003' Bentley - silly me !

Last edited by Fab; 18 Feb 2003 at 09:36.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 11:35 (Ref:510406)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by egor
All current cars will be able to race but will be handicaped in one form or another.
Oh Lordy. I sense unrest here, and complaints that the handicapping system is unfair. Maybe I'm just a cynic...
Old 18 Feb 2003, 13:34 (Ref:510500)   #9
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
did herbert "only" crash or did he flip?
Old 18 Feb 2003, 13:53 (Ref:510511)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've heard no mention of a flip anywhere. Why are we suggesting a flip?
Old 18 Feb 2003, 18:14 (Ref:510745)   #11
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally posted by JAG
The new cars will also be less liable to flip at high speed (another reason why power was cut in 2003).
------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Fab
Seeing the Bentley problem at Jerez, we could have doubt about the efficiency of the thing... well, actually, I don't know what happend to the car, I speak without knowing ...

Thought maybe the two were related
Old 18 Feb 2003, 23:58 (Ref:511083)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2004 regs are out:
http://www.fia.com/regle/REG_TEC/Ann.../258A-2004.pdf
Old 19 Feb 2003, 00:04 (Ref:511087)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn, this diffuser setup is dumb, just let them go to full ground effects!
Old 19 Feb 2003, 00:44 (Ref:511128)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there an english version? I can read a bit of french but it's late and i cannot be bothered.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 00:47 (Ref:511131)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Further down
Old 19 Feb 2003, 01:02 (Ref:511140)   #16
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Damn, this diffuser setup is dumb, just let them go to full ground effects!
That's essentially what this diffuser is - ground effect tunnels. Ground effect tunnels were limited in a similar way for most of the Group C period.

The overhang rules are odd, as are the bodywork opening details. That's some complicated prose!

Good to see them mandate a secondary roll-over structure behind the driver in case the main structure fails.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 03:22 (Ref:511219)   #17
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
The bodywork opening mumbo-jumbo seems to simply mean that if you are going to vent air in the area behind the front wheel, you can't have a pure separate fender, you must attach it to the sidepod (ala Cadillac LMP02, Audi R8) and meet their plan view off set dimensions.

Also note the side splitter detailing of the underbody (see the sectional views in drawing 1, A and B), how it is angled up 7 degrees from the horizontal. That should help the car in yaw conditions.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 04:08 (Ref:511245)   #18
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This reminds me of what happened during on of the Le Mans qualifying sessions this past year...
Old 19 Feb 2003, 06:21 (Ref:511310)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
Originally posted by Fab
Thought maybe the two were related
They are, but I initialy posted too fast : actually, we don't know if the crash is related to a flip...
Old 19 Feb 2003, 14:02 (Ref:511590)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MulsanneMike
The bodywork opening mumbo-jumbo seems to simply mean that if you are going to vent air in the area behind the front wheel, you can't have a pure separate fender, you must attach it to the sidepod (ala Cadillac LMP02, Audi R8) and meet their plan view off set dimensions.
So how will the little EXG257s deal with this?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Feb 2003, 16:53 (Ref:511704)   #21
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They won't as far as Le Mans is concerned!!! According to last week's Autosporthe ACO have confirmed that weight limits for what is currently the LMP675 class will be increased to 765kg's. Can't really see a four-pot turbo being competitive if power limits are going down.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 18:26 (Ref:511792)   #22
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The weight limit for the current 675 cars was always going to be raised - question whas when. At least it was avoided for this year.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 18:39 (Ref:511807)   #23
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The bigger issue than the raised weight (675 to 750kg) is the restriction on allowed motors. Basically, SR2 motors are allowed, or motors allowed in the N-GT category cars up to 4.2L or 2.7L turbocharged. These cars will weigh more, but more importantly, they will have significantly less power, probably on the order of 100bhp less.

No longer will the secondary prototype class have the chance for overall wins.

I wonder how the current LMP675 class will be grandfathered in for 2004. Will the specs remain the same? The same can be asked about the current LMP900 cars I think.

It is interesting how Ulrich has not ruled out running the current R8 in 2004, as opposed to a brand-new design based on the new rules.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 20:31 (Ref:511893)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To Mulsanne Mike:

On your site, you make a reference to "limiting Formula Type Pontoon Fenders" via section 3.4-1...

Is the explanation you gave above about attaching the fender to the side pod like Audi & Cadillac did last year the answer to this "limiting Formula-Style Fenders" noted in your site?

If not, please explain what you mean by that reference so that I will understand it...

Thanks!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 19 Feb 2003, 21:05 (Ref:511923)   #25
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by C_g
The bigger issue than the raised weight (675 to 750kg) is the restriction on allowed motors. Basically, SR2 motors are allowed, or motors allowed in the N-GT category cars up to 4.2L or 2.7L turbocharged.
I would be surprised if the ACO went with this, as this would for sure kill the MG. They'll come up with some sort of grandfathering, I'd think.

Also, reducing the normally aspirated motor from 3.4 to 3.0L will hurt some teams, like Bucknum, who just upgraded.

No 2.0L turbocharged free-design motor?

Rob Dyson would definitely be furious.

Last edited by paul-collins; 19 Feb 2003 at 21:14.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James