Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Dec 2007, 09:19 (Ref:2091117)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2008 Official Test Days

It seems that TEGA have decided to run 2 "Official Test Days" for their teams, in February 08.

One each at Winton (12 Feb) and Queensland Raceway (14 Feb)

Press release Here

This seems to be an attempt at bringing the cars and stars to the people (although Winton should have been Sandown.. at least it is close to Melbourne) but has me wondering whether this shall form the format for testing for the balance of 2008, in official days only

It would make sense, to share the track hire cost, and maybe even time the thing... to be like F1 and compare how different drivers perform on different days

Would make for busy circuits of course, especially if the development series teams decide to show up

I wonder if there will be one of these in Sydney? I mean there are development series teams based here... and they are allegedly planning on testing at Oran Park on 12 Feb (thanks to Mr Sieders corralling the troops)

Can TEGA run 2 tests on the same day and man them appropriately??
Old 18 Dec 2007, 11:52 (Ref:2091198)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i might go and make a nice holiday out of it, go see the sights of Melbourne i missed out on seeing on my last trip and go and see the V8's all day with all the changes at their first on track appearence and only for a buck or 2 (going to a good cause).
Old 18 Dec 2007, 23:30 (Ref:2091655)   #3
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
well i might go and make a nice holiday out of it, go see the sights of Melbourne i missed out on seeing on my last trip and go and see the V8's all day with all the changes at their first on track appearence and only for a buck or 2 (going to a good cause).
Looked at a map lately Racer?
Old 18 Dec 2007, 23:55 (Ref:2091664)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where will the Walden Motorsport entry be testing?
Old 19 Dec 2007, 00:12 (Ref:2091675)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Looked at a map lately Racer?
no but i have been there before and i missed out on doing a few things i wanted to do so this gives me the opertunity to do it well outside the city itself, should certain things permit i'll be there.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 00:28 (Ref:2091680)   #6
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Where will the Walden Motorsport entry be testing?

I am guessing Winton as it is closer then QLD Raceway, but I can not see why they have to travel interstate, so possiably Oran is not out of the plan.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 19 Dec 2007, 03:49 (Ref:2091719)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
Pro Racer you are aware that Winton is some two hours north of Melbourne up the Hume Freeway aren't you??
Old 19 Dec 2007, 06:29 (Ref:2091734)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
yeah but my plane was to stop off at Winton for the day/night then head to Melbourne.

accomidation permiting do you guys know any good place to stay, any help appreciated?
Old 19 Dec 2007, 06:51 (Ref:2091743)   #9
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your plane was to stop off at Winton? Uh-huh, of course...
Old 19 Dec 2007, 06:53 (Ref:2091744)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Plane/plan.. same difference

Its just as far to drive if you fly into the commercial airport at Albury as it is to go to Melbourne...
Old 19 Dec 2007, 07:01 (Ref:2091748)   #11
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aahhh, now it makes (a little) sense.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 07:22 (Ref:2091757)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Back on topic for a moment....

... is the test day scenario as discussed in the article something that takes a day off the test days for each team?

Or is it like the Bathurst test day of years ago....?
Old 19 Dec 2007, 07:35 (Ref:2091763)   #13
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In reading the article on test days, even if you are not there it counts as a test day. Obviously trying to get all teams together for the benefit of sponsors and punters. A bit like F1. Could have some value.

Will taking pics and videos be allowed as it is a sactioned V8SC event ?
Old 19 Dec 2007, 07:58 (Ref:2091770)   #14
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem
Your plane was to stop off at Winton? Uh-huh, of course...
plan , i was thinking of driving down purely because of Winton being so far out of Melbourne and i was thinking of driving elsewhere down there and hireing a car ain't cheap.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 08:26 (Ref:2091785)   #15
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just 4 days for the year, with only 3 days available after the 'official tests'. Down from 6 this year.
How long till VESA announce the schedule for Fridays and the relaxing/trade off of practice conditions there?

At least this is a good idea and a step in the right direction.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 08:36 (Ref:2091792)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It is... if there are more new tyres entering the pool for testing... so less of the running on worn out/flat spotted used rubber that may have already been heatcycled several times...
Old 19 Dec 2007, 23:53 (Ref:2092362)   #17
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HRT were considering returning to PI to test in 2008. Where does this leave them?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 03:18 (Ref:2092431)   #18
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't heard or spoken to anyone at Winton about this as yet but I would assume being a public event that you probably wouldn't be allowed in Pit Lane itself (unless they set up some form of people fence to keep the crowd off the pit lane itself) for some pretty obvious safety reasons but knowing winton they will fire up the Canteen and let people wander around the complex for a look.

No doubt once VE$A & the tracks sort this out (don't be surprised if the first the tracks heard about this was via the press release) more will be revealed.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 04:40 (Ref:2092441)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
I haven't heard or spoken to anyone at Winton about this as yet but I would assume being a public event that you probably wouldn't be allowed in Pit Lane itself (unless they set up some form of people fence to keep the crowd off the pit lane itself) for some pretty obvious safety reasons but knowing winton they will fire up the Canteen and let people wander around the complex for a look.

No doubt once VE$A & the tracks sort this out (don't be surprised if the first the tracks heard about this was via the press release) more will be revealed.
I would imagine it would run like a pukka race meeting, and not allow people past the back of the pit garages...
Old 20 Dec 2007, 05:13 (Ref:2092447)   #20
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
I reckon Winton could open up the area between Pit Lane & the track as the teams don't really need to use it and it would be a great chance to give the public real close access to see the teams at work without them getting in the way.

It would need a temporary anti people fence along the pit lane side wall as well as some bunting to keep the public from getting to close to the trackside wall and some form of supervised crossing point near Pit Exit. It could work.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 23:35 (Ref:2094252)   #21
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
I reckon Winton could open up the area between Pit Lane & the track as the teams don't really need to use it and it would be a great chance to give the public real close access to see the teams at work without them getting in the way.

It would need a temporary anti people fence along the pit lane side wall as well as some bunting to keep the public from getting to close to the trackside wall and some form of supervised crossing point near Pit Exit. It could work.
PVDA, that is possibly the craziest thing I've ever heard you say ! (now that in itself is a big statement....)

Clearly your concept of risk management differs from most others ?

The danger to both crews & officials in being in the 'Schenken memorial lake' area is the same as for the public.....Except the crews & officials understand the boundaries !

If you were to erect a people proof fence, how do the mules get to the wall to hear the SORF grabbing 1st instead of 3 in the T1 braking area.......

That suggestion is akin to creating a bunted-off spectator area on the infield of milk-crate stadium in Warrnambool, because it is a great way to get people closer to the Sprintcar action.......
Old 24 Dec 2007, 11:57 (Ref:2094431)   #22
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Hey Uncle, having been to a couple of test sessions in my time you usually only find the occasional mule, or truck driver on the phone , standing at the wall and it's usually because they can not because they have to.

It's not like it's a race meeting with 30 cars on the track and with the 40km/h speed limit in pit lane it "could" be done safely.

It's only a suggestion and seeing VE$A is all about bringing the sport to the fans you never know they might take it seriously.