Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 May 2020, 12:12 (Ref:3974909)   #6001
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
One thought that springs to mind is that the timetabling of the event could help. Should a few races be run after the last BTCC race, some spectators will probably leave as soon as possible afterwards (particularly if its cold and wet), others will want to stay and see all the races, which naturally results in a series of more staggered departures.
That used to happen. Most people rushed back to the car park immediately after the last BTCC race and sat in a queue to get out for an hour. Those who stayed to watch the last race strolled back to their cars and drove straight out.

Thanks to the needs of ITV coverage, BTCC is now the last race of the day and has been for a few years now.
Old 7 May 2020, 12:16 (Ref:3974910)   #6002
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
There are ways to do it. My comment/criticism was more aimed at the idea that there are literally hundreds of acres so it will be no bother.

5k is optimistic, I was thinking half that. It not just the dividing the area into 2m square and giving everyone an assigned spot, there are other considerations. How many entrances there are as you don't want people having to queue together at the ticket barrier. What about toilets; I'm not thinking about the number of cubicles but the fact that most of the block don't have a lot of space to get in/out.
reading this and further discussion makes me wonder whether they'd decide it's just not worth the hassle - admitting a small number of spectators when there's stricter controls is surely going to cost them more in adapting the circuit facilities and paying for staff to manage the situation than the benefit of having them there? who's going to decide when there's too many people sat on paddock hill?

you're right about it not being about the open space - with this situation i guess they have to legislate for the bottlenecks and make accommodations for those rather than look at the great big outdoors.

what is the average sunday crowd at a btcc event normally?
Old 7 May 2020, 12:21 (Ref:3974911)   #6003
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I think we've got this sorted now.

When you buy you ticket, instead of getting a grandstand seat, you are allocated a numbered plot of ground to stand on. You also need to specify your required arrival and departure time slot, and optionally select your preferred time slot(s) for using the toilet and/or buying a burger.

I'm sure MSV can update their ticket sales website to cope.
Old 7 May 2020, 12:24 (Ref:3974912)   #6004
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

what is the average sunday crowd at a btcc event normally?
http://www.twinfm.com/download/Briti...20Brochure.pdf - suggests 420,000+ over the ten events.
42,000 per event, which I would estimate as being about 30-35,000 on a Sunday.

http://www.btcc.net/wp-content/uploa...6_Brochure.pdf - claims a record 42,000 at Brands in 2016
Old 7 May 2020, 12:48 (Ref:3974916)   #6005
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
http://www.twinfm.com/download/Briti...20Brochure.pdf - suggests 420,000+ over the ten events.
42,000 per event, which I would estimate as being about 30-35,000 on a Sunday.

http://www.btcc.net/wp-content/uploa...6_Brochure.pdf - claims a record 42,000 at Brands in 2016
thanks - that's really interesting.

i've seen a provisional british gt calendar and if your primary series is btcc it's not too bad for clashes or geographical marshalling and stewarding overlaps as it stands.
Old 7 May 2020, 12:53 (Ref:3974918)   #6006
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A nice tour of Swindon Engines and an insight to their future electric plans.

https://youtu.be/ArVrokETJ2E
Old 7 May 2020, 15:17 (Ref:3974944)   #6007
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

When you buy you ticket, instead of getting a grandstand seat, you are allocated a numbered plot of ground to stand on. You also need to specify your required arrival and departure time slot, and optionally select your preferred time slot(s) for using the toilet and/or buying a burger.

Also, I think they should have a premium ticket for those who wish to padlock their tent to the fencing.
Old 7 May 2020, 15:20 (Ref:3974945)   #6008
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
is that before or after paying for the tent upgrade and flag permit?
Old 7 May 2020, 15:28 (Ref:3974952)   #6009
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Also, I think they should have a premium ticket for those who wish to padlock their tent to the fencing.
They're already abiding by social distancing. They usually socially distance themselves from the tent for most of the meeting, only returning for lunch....
Old 7 May 2020, 15:29 (Ref:3974953)   #6010
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
is that before or after paying for the tent upgrade and flag permit?
Extra charge for windbreak installation.
Old 7 May 2020, 16:30 (Ref:3974960)   #6011
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

click and collect for burgers??
Old 7 May 2020, 16:33 (Ref:3974961)   #6012
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
But how many burgers should they be allowed?
Old 7 May 2020, 17:28 (Ref:3974976)   #6013
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
That used to happen. Most people rushed back to the car park immediately after the last BTCC race and sat in a queue to get out for an hour. Those who stayed to watch the last race strolled back to their cars and drove straight out.

Thanks to the needs of ITV coverage, BTCC is now the last race of the day and has been for a few years now.
Aye. Back in the day when a GT race was last people used to disappear. I used to enjoy the lovely big growly engines as the sun descended especially from Donington infield. Plus the added bonus of no queues for the loos before leaving and a pretty quick escape too.
Old 7 May 2020, 17:29 (Ref:3974977)   #6014
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's the napkins that'll be rationed
Old 7 May 2020, 19:26 (Ref:3974992)   #6015
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
None. You won't be permitted to remove your face mask until you are back in the confines of your car.
Old 7 May 2020, 21:38 (Ref:3975015)   #6016
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
None. You won't be permitted to remove your face mask until you are back in the confines of your car.
That's Bartie screwed then. And fat Mat

Intravenous burger injection anyone?
Old 8 May 2020, 06:16 (Ref:3975035)   #6017
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It wasn;t at Donington three years ago. Mainly due to the terrible injuries to Billy Monger that day, but they had the Ginettas out after the final BTCC frace. Most of the crowd had indeed disappeared and after a day fraught with red cardds and safety laps, the Ginettas behaved themselves very well!
Old 8 May 2020, 08:26 (Ref:3975051)   #6018
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That's Bartie screwed then. And fat Mat

Intravenous burger injection anyone?
And Tim too!
Old 16 May 2020, 18:19 (Ref:3976623)   #6019
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcanary View Post
It wasn;t at Donington three years ago. Mainly due to the terrible injuries to Billy Monger that day, but they had the Ginettas out after the final BTCC frace. Most of the crowd had indeed disappeared and after a day fraught with red cardds and safety laps, the Ginettas behaved themselves very well!
That day haunts me. It was the only time ever, in years and years and race after race I actually watched the support races live.

I love the BTCC (despite not being a Brit) but the coverage goes on for hours and I can't usually justify sitting in front of the TV for that length of time with the family and the farm to think of. I watch the first race live then tape the rest of the day, although quite often I only watch the BTCC events on record

However, that day, totally at random, I watched the F4 race live and saw Billy Mongers accident as it happened. I don't know why but it still affects me badly. It's amazing what he's done since.
Old 16 May 2020, 19:35 (Ref:3976638)   #6020
S griffin
Veteran

I remember it too. Billy had gone off on the first lap and we were riding onboard with him as he started to work his way back up, when suddenly a car in front appeared out of nowhere and as a result we saw the crash in it’s full horror
Old 16 May 2020, 21:05 (Ref:3976665)   #6021
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to be happy at

A - no more of my friends and family get ill
B - The deaths both in the UK and worldwide reduce
C - we all get back to work
D - Entertainment also starts back up
E - BTCC being part of D can be on the TV, recorded, online im not fussed
F - Everyone participating in E has no additional risk than those associated with motorsport and no corner cutting (parden the pun) is taken to hold such events
G - Anyone who has outlayed money and justifies a refund gets one (not just hotels and tickets etc0
H - nobodys actually basic life needs are effected, hopefully nobody goes into financial difficulty (Big as if yes i know)
I - The virus does one not to be seen again like the 4WD Audi A4 of Mr Biela and doesnt come back
J- We all remain fit and well, breath a big sign of relief and get back to full life, work, entertainment, motorsport in 2021 and take a big lesson from how important keeping clean and not spreading germs, dirt and waste is (sound like im about to say electric cars are the best at that point but no dont worry!)

Thanks

CT
Old 17 May 2020, 22:00 (Ref:3976825)   #6022
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NASCAR behind closed doors seems to be operating well today so I'm feeling a bit more positive about a touring car meeting doing the same.

NASCAR had no qualifying and no practice sessions. This should be applied to touring car I feel.

Draw grid position for race 1 from the hat. Order lowest to highest based on 2019 championship standing like the NFL draft.

Race 2 grid as per race 1 finishing order.
Race 3 grid as usual with the 6th to 12th going in the bowl for pole.

Solves the headache of fitting everything in a weekend and condenses things neatly for marshals whilst also maximises the TV drama as rusty drivers on a "green" track in cars with guessed settings massively improve as the day goes on?
Old 17 May 2020, 22:06 (Ref:3976826)   #6023
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
NASCAR behind closed doors seems to be operating well today so I'm feeling a bit more positive about a touring car meeting doing the same.

NASCAR had no qualifying and no practice sessions. This should be applied to touring car I feel.

Draw grid position for race 1 from the hat. Order lowest to highest based on 2019 championship standing like the NFL draft.

Race 2 grid as per race 1 finishing order.
Race 3 grid as usual with the 6th to 12th going in the bowl for pole.

Solves the headache of fitting everything in a weekend and condenses things neatly for marshals whilst also maximises the TV drama as rusty drivers on a "green" track in cars with guessed settings massively improve as the day goes on?
But there isn't a headache of fitting everything in a weekend.
Just because there are no spectators, doesn't mean time moves more quickly.

There will be plenty of time for all the practice and qualifying sessions.
Old 17 May 2020, 23:33 (Ref:3976837)   #6024
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While NASCAR had no actual tracktime before the race today, the teams had spent many hours, and soent significant amounts on may hours of expensive simulator time and engineering meetings to give the cars a safe set up for the track.
The race also have a long caution period after lap 30, to allow time for set up adjustments.
Old 18 May 2020, 10:07 (Ref:3976901)   #6025
S griffin
Veteran

NASCAR is in a very tricky situation, probably just as well they had the simulators. Don’t expect it to last. Interesting they put a caution out after 30 laps, that I can perfectly understand why