Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Mar 2003, 19:10 (Ref:542359)   #1
RobweenerPI
Rookie

RobweenerPI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Am Threads

I see alot of Grand Am threads here and on other boards at how laughable the DP's are. I totally agree and myself am wondering what the heck they are doing. I don't understand why grand am isn't doing an American All GT series. An All GT series for Grand Am would be a great idea I think. Why not run 'Real' GTS cars, 'Real' GT cars, and then Trans Am style cars in a series of 3 hour sprint races. They could even run a few endurance races just for the heck of it too. Hearing News of the JGTC coming over makes me think there is a market for this. It seems to me this would be a much better fit for thier limited teams and market. Also, this would allow good crossover for ALMS teams and possibly even International teams for practice and additional races.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 19:23 (Ref:542374)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed Rob, the ALMS is far more popular for protos anyway. How about just a "pure" GT free for all. Lets say limit them to production blocks, and current bodywork rules, and then let their imaginations run free. Obviously you wouldn't allow them to modify the tub within reason.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 00:43 (Ref:542646)   #3
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a good idea, Pirenzo. It'd bring "racing" back into the equation, as well as keep things affordable for the smaller teams.

Break'em up into classes, of course. Cars like the Corvettes, and its contemporaries in the "top" class; Porsche GT2's and their contemporaries in the next; and so forth.

And just for the sheer kicks it would bring, even the smaller front wheel drive cars that qualify as "GT" cars could have their own class. It would certainly bring a wide range of cars, as well as spectators.

.....just think....a VW racing with a Celica racing with an Acura...racing with a Porsche....
Old 21 Mar 2003, 01:22 (Ref:542671)   #4
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ZXKawboy
That's a good idea, Pirenzo. It'd bring "racing" back into the equation, as well as keep things affordable for the smaller teams.

Break'em up into classes, of course. Cars like the Corvettes, and its contemporaries in the "top" class; Porsche GT2's and their contemporaries in the next; and so forth.

And just for the sheer kicks it would bring, even the smaller front wheel drive cars that qualify as "GT" cars could have their own class. It would certainly bring a wide range of cars, as well as spectators.

.....just think....a VW racing with a Celica racing with an Acura...racing with a Porsche....
weren't Motorola cup used to be like that?
Old 21 Mar 2003, 08:57 (Ref:542867)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not mix the GT's with what would basically be touring cars?
You'd have the old GT1/2/3 system, then like in FIA GT, GTN

So GT1=Corvette, Viper, etc
GT2=360 Modenas, 911's etc
GT3=Tourers
GTN=any of the above, but "road legal"
Old 21 Mar 2003, 15:08 (Ref:543245)   #6
Burd
Rookie

Burd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A full blown GTS/GT championship would never work in this country. You would never get enough manufacturer support to make it worthwhile. The JGTC has gotten huge because it is the equivalent of NASCAR in the eyes of the Japanese manufacturers, they put everything they have into it. An American GTS/GT championship would be less than an afterthought.

The point of the DPs is to get lots of manufacturers involved very cheaply by using stock-based engines that can be stuck in the back of any privateer-built chassis. This puts the "power" in the hands of the privateers who are the backbone of sportscar racing here in the US. Sportscar racing has always suffered hugely from the fickleness of major manufacturers and factory teams who pop in and out of a series based on random marketing schemes. The DP concept is an effort by Grand-Am to get away from this.

Will it work? I am completely reserving any judgment on this until next year. The cars obviously aren't good looking enough to attract any interest from those who watch motorsports only to see pretty machinery, but I can see the actual racing becoming very good if, and *only* if, Grand-Am somehow manages to work up a field of 25 or 30 DPs to go along with an equal number of GT cars. If they get that many full-time entrants in the next couple of years, they may do very well. If they don't, say goodbye to the GARRA.

Last edited by Burd; 21 Mar 2003 at 15:15.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 15:19 (Ref:543254)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RacingManiac
weren't Motorola cup used to be like that?
Motorola - now Grand Am Cup - still does.

See their Miami entry list for the variety of cars.

http://www.grandamerican.com/race_re...w_entry37.html
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Mar 2003, 13:30 (Ref:545268)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could allow the GA Cup cars in for the longer races.
Also, if they are going for the NASCAR fan base, what's wrong with bringing in "endurofied" Winston Cup cars? Stick a couple proper headlights on them, and see what happens. The rules of endurance racing will apply.

Last edited by cybersdorf; 23 Mar 2003 at 13:34.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 21:49 (Ref:545766)   #9
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Burd
The cars obviously aren't good looking enough to attract any interest from those who watch motorsports only to see pretty machinery, but I can see the actual racing becoming very good if, and *only* if, Grand-Am somehow manages to work up a field of 25 or 30 DPs to go along with an equal number of GT cars. If they get that many full-time entrants in the next couple of years, they may do very well. If they don't, say goodbye to the GARRA.
Considering the amount of fan interest generated by these cars already, i've planned ahead and prepared a letter of condolences for the France family regarding the future loss of Grand-Am
Old 26 Mar 2003, 05:18 (Ref:548309)   #10
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think that G/A going away is any more than wishful thinking.

I think it much more likely that Panoz will bow out before the Frances do. It is just a matter of dollars and- sense. It has nothing to do with what you prefer.