Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 11 May 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1298028)   #26
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Is there actually going to be 39 cars racing in the Indy 500 because that is a hell of alot of cars
Old 11 May 2005, 06:20 (Ref:1298032)   #27
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only 33 will start
Old 11 May 2005, 06:41 (Ref:1298038)   #28
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Only 33 will start
Why?
Old 11 May 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1298040)   #29
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
Also, Mayer can complete ROP at any time, he only has to complete it before he can make a qualifying attempt.
Ah ok - the article I read made it sound like he had just one more day to wrap it up.
Old 11 May 2005, 07:29 (Ref:1298055)   #30
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
Why?
Tradition. Here's why:
Quote:
The American Automobile Association, which was the sport's sanctioning body, in 1912 established a formula for the size of a starting field, based on the length of the track. The underlying idea was that there should be 400 feet of track for each car, which meant that there could be 33 starters at Indy. However, the speedway imposed its own limit of 30 starters from 1912 through 1914 and didn't go to the maximum 33 until 1915.
Old 11 May 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1298087)   #31
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah thats what i was gonna say

as for the next generation not knowing the tradition , Im not so sure about that , there are plenty of tapes and vids out there to get the feeling of the race and they only have to look through the record books to see the tradition.

and if all else fails walking through the tunnel into the circuit and seeing the grandure of the place and the sheer enormity of the grandstands whether they be full or empty would be enough for any person in the world to stop and say "hey this place is something special"

it must be an amazing experience to be able to do this and im so jealous of those that have , I hope one day I can get to Indy even if there isnt any racing , I just want to visit the place and just suck in the atmosphere of this true ampitheatre of speed and all that it entails.

God now I do have goosebumps
Old 11 May 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1298291)   #32
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Some additional notes...

- Paul Dana is still suffering from an illness he picked up during the trip to Japan, but was hoping to be back at Indy today, Wednesday. I think it's fair to assume Dana took a hit from the same illness Team Owner mentioned in the Motegi: Winners & Losers thread.

- Tony Stewart visited Indianapolis yesterday while on his way to Richmond where he will race this Saturday night.. I think it's safe to say his interest in the Indy 500 isn't going away any time soon...

- Helio Castroneves turned 30 yesterday, and here's how the celebrations went along..
Quote:
Team Penske wasn't about to let Helio Castroneves forget Tuesday was a milestone 30th birthday. His crew slapped No. 30 decals on the front and back of his helmet, which he said are coming off today because of the weight they add.

"Every little bit makes a difference in the speed," he joked.

Castroneves was third on the speed charts at 226.062 mph, which he took as a good omen. He was third in the No. 3 car on his 30th birthday as he began his quest for a third Indy win.

When he returned to the garage after practice, he was presented with a cake that had the outline of a racetrack on the top with a model Dale Earnhardt Jr. stock car and was inscribed "Happy Birthday, Dale." "Dale" was crossed out and replaced with "Helio," with the explanation that no "Happy Birthday, Helio" cake could be found.

Castroneves donned a hooded sweatshirt to protect himself from getting cake in his face, as happened in past years. Thinking it was safe, he took down the hood, but a team member blindsided him with another cake, squarely in the face.

Castroneves got a good laugh out of it all but wasn't planning to go out to celebrate.

"The party is at the end of the month," he said.
Sounds like they had a lot of fun, and you just have to love that Dale Jr. cake lol
Old 11 May 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1298293)   #33
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
Also, Mayer can complete ROP at any time, he only has to complete it before he can make a qualifying attempt.
Turns out this is seemingly incorrect, as pointed out by Tim in another thread and as mentioned by the IndyStar:
Quote:
Rookie Scott Mayer did not practice Tuesday and was removed from the participation list by chief steward Brian Barnhart. As in 2003, Mayer hadn't completed the final stage of the Rookie Orientation Program and hadn't turned a lap in excess of 207 mph.
Old 11 May 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1298397)   #34
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In conjunction with the release of Pennzoil’s new Platinum Full Synthetic motor oil, Panther Racing has given its No. 4 car a makeover for the month. The Chevrolet-powered Dallara is sporting a platinum paint scheme.
Pictures of the car on Indycar.com website. Looks rather good...perhaps Panther and Scheckter are hoping the change in colour scheme brings with it a change of luck?

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=4507
Old 11 May 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1298424)   #35
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jock25
Pictures of the car on Indycar.com website. Looks rather good...perhaps Panther and Scheckter are hoping the change in colour scheme brings with it a change of luck?

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=4507

I saw it on last night's news...

It looks nice....

but I must say that you always knew where the Pennzoil Panther car was on the track with the bright yellow paint job....

Maybe the "platinum" paint scheme will be equally identifiable...I hope so...

Because Logos are a blur when these cars are at speed at the Brickyard...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 May 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1298639)   #36
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Buddy Rice hit the wall hard in Turn Two early in today's session...

He apparently did make it to the ambulance under his own power, and after being checked up in the Infield Hospital, was taken via surface ambulance to Methodist Hospital for further evaluation....

No immediate word on what he injured....

NOTE: If he was hurt badly, they would have flown him to Methodist....but there must have been enough concern to take the precaution to send him there for observation, so who knows...

Old 11 May 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1298662)   #37
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Dr. Henry Bock did say he was in Good and Stable condition...

The car had heavy rear damage...maybe back or neck pain???

that would warrant further observation...

Just guessing....

Old 11 May 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1298780)   #38
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hearing that Buddy recieved a concussion and will be out for 7 days, which would put him out for qualifying.

In that case, I think he automatically will start in 23rd place. Is that correct?

Danica Patrick
Old 12 May 2005, 00:03 (Ref:1298789)   #39
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think 23rd is any where near automatic.
Old 12 May 2005, 00:19 (Ref:1298793)   #40
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Concussion plus a significant contusion on his back...

The Local CBS affiliate here said that he cannot go on Pole Day, probably cannot go this weekend, and depending upon the prognosis of future exams, could conceivably miss the Race itself...

This one will be strictly "Wait and See"...

But it raises yet another issue on 33 starters...

Now we might be down to 31...

Does Rahal run a 3rd car if Buddy can't go???

If YES, who does he get???

The Plot thickens a little, doesn't it???

Old 12 May 2005, 00:49 (Ref:1298800)   #41
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without the safety features on the cars and the Safer wall Buddy Rice might be a memory right now. That was an very big hit which even broke the engine block
Everything worked as it was supposed to. Kudos to the engineers and safety experts which have made all these advances in car and driver safety.

Speculation in the garage area has Kenny Brack filling in for Buddy at this point.
Old 12 May 2005, 01:10 (Ref:1298807)   #42
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there must have been extenuating circumstances for Mayer to be removed, Barnhart and the advisors must have been uncomfortable with his driving or ability to handle the car, which is a shame considering how many drivers of questionable ability have been able to complete ROP with no problem (Masu****a, Harrington, Witherill, Mack, etc.)
Old 12 May 2005, 01:39 (Ref:1298812)   #43
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 thoughts;

- Why wouldn't Mayer go out at all on the Tuesday to complete rookie testing?

- And who will take his place in the third Foyt car?

What other drivers are scouring the IMS pitlane this week looking for a chance of a drive.

What happened to the Beck Motorsports entry?
Old 12 May 2005, 01:45 (Ref:1298813)   #44
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would Brack fill in for the race or just qualify the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
So I guess Snrub was right mac, Arie Luyendyck's name is not as memorable or big as I thought it was!
I'm as surprised as you are on Briscoe. Even if you were from a different country and completely ignorant on the race/series, you'd think that you'd do a little research, watch some old tapes, etc. When he did rookie training, did he know who Mears and Rutherford were?

On the Newman-Hass topic, one has to expect that it'll be tougher for them. I would be very surprised if Junquiera or Bourdais are able to run a competitive top 3 pace in the race. Bourdais really needs the oval experience, so it'll be good for him to run, but I don't expect much of him. For some reason he's had an unusually tough time adopting to ovals. At the moment he's sort of the poster boy to use against those who say ovals are easy and he has a bit of a reputation as Mr. Adaptability. Side note: I love how in the press he has repeated discounted flat out oval racing as easy. Here's a guy who's won two oval races, but admits that he stinks at ovals!
Old 12 May 2005, 01:45 (Ref:1298814)   #45
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Owner

Speculation in the garage area has Kenny Brack filling in for Buddy at this point.
Wow, that would be huge! But it's been a long time for Kenny, and I have to wonder if he's up to a 500 miler.

What a shame for Buddy, the defending champ may not get his chance to repeat. He's had a tough season all-around. At least he's ok, and thats what really matters.

Your right, no excuse's for Briscoe Snrub! He should have known that name!

Danica Patrick
Old 12 May 2005, 05:54 (Ref:1298868)   #46
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have another theory, after seeing Mayer in ROP, Foyt was really the one that pulled the plug on his month of May by not letting him finish. I can understand him not wanting to field a third car if he knows he's just going to tear up alot of equipment and doesn't bring much money with him. He's done it before (who did he kick out of the ride on bubble day to put Billy Boat in?) so I can see him doing it now, I wouldn't be suprised if he hit up one of his old shoes, Billy Boat or Airton Dare.
Old 12 May 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1298906)   #47
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I'd vote for Billy Boat means we could have bubble drama

shame about Buddy Rice , I hope he is ok and can return as soon as possible , and Brack filling in , wow that would be amazing.

things are really starting to hot up
Old 12 May 2005, 07:34 (Ref:1298931)   #48
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer

Your right, no excuse's for Briscoe Snrub! He should have known that name!

I wouldn't pick on him, as such.

There are plenty of drivers in many racing series who know little or nothing of the sport's history.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:23 (Ref:1298956)   #49
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even if Buddy misses qualifying, surley he can just qualify on Bump Day if he's well enough?
Old 12 May 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1298964)   #50
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If someone else qualifies a car, it usually goes to the back of the grid, but how would this work under the new system? Theoretically a car qualified in the top 11 on Pole Day is safety in the field, but would it lose its place if someone else drives it?

I think disque might have it right the second time. Theoretically Mayer can still enter the 500 is he passes the ROP later, but he's shwoeds himself to be a liability, and completely incapable of driving competitively. The fact that this is his second attempt at it, the first being shortly after a run of 3 races, says it all. I doubt Foyt will replace him unless another car is needed to fill the grid.