Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 Jun 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1343308)   #26
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac.
You may have put that in for GP, but you are probably right on the money. The question is, what is going to happen to all of the teams that live off of the money, subsidies that is?
I don't see this as being a major problem.

While AGR may reduce to a 3 car team, and Rahal, and Gannasi to a 2 car team, I think if the engine program comes in cheap enough, teams like D&R, Helmegarn, and Foyt could increase to 2 car teams. Also teams like Kelley, and Rays Access racing could come back into the series. While these teams may not be of the calibur of an AGR, with the subsidies gone, the playing field will be more level, and they are more likely to give young American drivers and IPS drivers a chance.

Also don't forget that Panther is now an unsubsidised 3 car team, adding Lazier for quite a few races the rest of the season. So 3 car teams can still work...

Danica Patrick
Old 30 Jun 2005, 01:11 (Ref:1343402)   #27
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
...... and Gannasi to a 2 car team .......
Providing ol' Chip sticks around at all.

Without manufacturer support, I don't know how keen Ganassi would be to stick around.

As for which drivers would stay at Ganassi ...... Briscoe is the fastest on road courses and has been at least on par with Dixon's pace on ovals in recent races. The weakest link at the moment would appear to be Mr Manning.

But, with Briscoe's strong links to Toyota, could he be moved somewhere else if they are winding down their involvement?
Old 30 Jun 2005, 04:16 (Ref:1343470)   #28
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac

Without manufacturer support, I don't know how keen Ganassi would be to stick around.

As for which drivers would stay at Ganassi ...... Briscoe is the fastest on road courses and has been at least on par with Dixon's pace on ovals in recent races. The weakest link at the moment would appear to be Mr Manning.
Interesting view considering that Manning is ahead of both in the championship.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 05:00 (Ref:1343479)   #29
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Once the new regs for 2007 are published I think we'll have a better idea of where this is going.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 05:57 (Ref:1343497)   #30
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
CCWS:
Honda & Cosworth

Indycars:
???????
CCWS would never allow a manufacturer like Honda (who is willing to spend and spend) come in and compete against their Cosworths, unless a manufacturer was willing back the Cosworth sunstantially. And if Honda aren't interested in the IRL because of no other manufacturers, the same applies to CCWS.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 06:03 (Ref:1343500)   #31
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Interesting view considering that Manning is ahead of both in the championship.
Just going off the last few rounds since and including Indy.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 06:15 (Ref:1343507)   #32
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
KK has said that another manufacturer would be welcome in CCWS.

If cosworth ends up supplying half the IRL field with engines and Ilmor/HPD with the other half and cosworth supplies half the CCWS field and Ilmor/HPD with the rest, hmmmm.........
Old 30 Jun 2005, 06:23 (Ref:1343512)   #33
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac

But, with Briscoe's strong links to Toyota, could he be moved somewhere else if they are winding down their involvement?
I think it was said earlier this year that Target was cutting back their involvement in open wheel for next year.

Where would Briscoe be moved to? Super GT? Maybe. Definitely not F1 or Nascar.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 07:26 (Ref:1343542)   #34
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Where would Briscoe be moved to? Super GT? Maybe. Definitely not F1 or Nascar.
Don't rule out F1.

His last two years of good work with Toyota F1 won't be forgotten just because he struggled to get to grips a little in an uncompetitive car on ovals.

After all, he's been blinding in that same uncompetitive car on road courses.

Olivier Panis can't drive forever - there may be a testing role at the factory squad.

Say Lexus power Williams - it's unlikely Pizzonia would stick around for more testing duties - a possible opening there.

Maybe Toyota will continue with Midland - in which case he would be a good chance for a race seat.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1343867)   #35
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac

Add to that list Rahal and Fernandez, who bolted from CC because of $$ from Honda.

To add to the speculation, this Robin Miller article indicates that Honda may be headed to sports cars and that two of the IRL's biggest teams may being following the money over there.

I know that RM isn't well liked in this forum because of the bias he shows towards CC, but he often has the scoop on what is about to happen next.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1343884)   #36
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given Rahal's denial in that article, and knowing that he's not one to deny sportscar rumours, I wouldn't put much credence in this. Add to that the animosity left over from the Miami twin bill races, where ALMS were treated as second class.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Jun 2005, 15:20 (Ref:1343913)   #37
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Robin's Champ Car - ALMS alliance is bogus....

The ALMS draws much better crowds than Champ car does at similar venues....

They don't need Champ Car...but Champ Car could need them...especially after seeing the sparse crowd at Portland...

Long Beach or the Mexico races would be the only races worth considering for the ALMS....

and like Paul said, their past joint ventures were not kind to the ALMS...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Jun 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1343915)   #38
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ganassi seems increasingly interested in NASCAR, and it could be that that's the only place he runs a team in 2007. Little more than a year ago I would have said Dixon would go with him if not already in F1, but his form no longer suggests that. I really can't see any of his drivers having a place in NASCAR, so tehy might be wise to start building a reputation up with other teams ASAP.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1343919)   #39
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't understand why Ganassi has such increased interest in NASCAR...he's getting his butt kicked in both IRL and NASCAR with the exception of Casey Mears

Only his GARRA program is racing halfway decent

Old 30 Jun 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1344077)   #40
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Given Rahal's denial in that article, and knowing that he's not one to deny sportscar rumours, I wouldn't put much credence in this. Add to that the animosity left over from the Miami twin bill races, where ALMS were treated as second class.
That was in a different era with different ownership, so it makes little difference now what happened a few years ago.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1344083)   #41
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Can't understand why Ganassi has such increased interest in NASCAR...he's getting his butt kicked in both IRL and NASCAR with the exception of Casey Mears

Only his GARRA program is racing halfway decent
NASCAR: It's where the money is.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1344120)   #42
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That was in a different era with different ownership, so it makes little difference now what happened a few years ago.
Okay, then I throw this out: Mexico ALMS race 2003. The race was cancelled at Forsythe's behest.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Jun 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1344157)   #43
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Okay, then I throw this out: Mexico ALMS race 2003. The race was cancelled at Forsythe's behest.

Amen....the "Under New Management" is simply guys moving from the Board to the Front office....

The attitude doesn't seem to have changed...

Old 30 Jun 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1344228)   #44
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac.
Add to that list Rahal and Fernandez, who bolted from CC because of $$ from Honda.

To add to the speculation, this Robin Miller article indicates that Honda may be headed to sports cars and that two of the IRL's biggest teams may being following the money over there.

I know that RM isn't well liked in this forum because of the bias he shows towards CC, but he often has the scoop on what is about to happen next.
Yes, Honda money may have played a part, but cmon, make no mistake about it, Rahal and Fernandez left because they didn't like what they saw going on in that other series. It was a mess over there, and they had a business and alot of employees to look after. They made a smart business decision. And Rahal is never going to take Danica to sports cars! She will be a star here...

As for RM, he is also wrong far to many times to count, and he is also dying to see TG go down, so yes, he is not well liked here, and his biased words mean little.

Danica Patrick
Old 30 Jun 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1344291)   #45
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Yes, Honda money may have played a part, but cmon, make no mistake about it, Rahal and Fernandez left because they didn't like what they saw going on in that other series. It was a mess over there, and they had a business and alot of employees to look after. They made a smart business decision. And Rahal is never going to take Danica to sports cars! She will be a star here...

As for RM, he is also wrong far to many times to count, and he is also dying to see TG go down, so yes, he is not well liked here, and his biased words mean little.
Fernandez and Rahal left for the big check from Honda nothing more, nothing less. In the big meeting before LB 2004, Fernandez beat the 3 amigos over the head for more pookfare which was denied.

RM has also been right too many times to count and one would hope he is dying to see TG go down. In case you haven't noticed every journalist is biased.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1344298)   #46
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, Honda money may have played a part, but cmon, make no mistake about it, Rahal and Fernandez left because they didn't like what they saw going on in that other series. It was a mess over there, and they had a business and alot of employees to look after. They made a smart business decision.
Rahal pledged his hand-on-heart support to the other series on countless occasions. He only changed that when he simply could not refuse the advances of Honda - which is fair enough in my book.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1344334)   #47
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
And Rahal is never going to take Danica to sports cars! She will be a star here...
So what you're saying is "don't believe what Bobby says?" 'Cause he's said on numerous occasions that she needs sportscar experience.

-Bill James
Old 30 Jun 2005, 23:53 (Ref:1344341)   #48
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
So what you're saying is "don't believe what Bobby says?" 'Cause he's said on numerous occasions that she needs sportscar experience.
Taking her over to sports cars for expierience is far different than taking her out of open wheel all-together. Her future lies in open wheel racing, thats all I meant...

Danica Patrick
Old 1 Jul 2005, 01:09 (Ref:1344367)   #49
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Her future lies in open wheel racing, thats all I meant...
Maybe not, if she keeps up with the disappointing performances in open wheelers.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 02:14 (Ref:1344382)   #50
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe not, if she keeps up with the disappointing performances in open wheelers.
Bit harsh its only her first year, she's lead races etc, theres a bit of pressure on her aswell.