Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2001, 01:36 (Ref:104189)   #1
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jarno the enigma

I've been wondering about this for quite a while.

What is it with Jarno?

I've been a fan of Trulli's since he was at Prost. Everyone knows he's very talented. He always qualifies really well (first three rows usually). However, in the races he seems to struggle to maintain a race pace - particularly in the middle stages of a GP.

What could be the reasons for this. Is it a case of him being such a good qualifier that he puts the car further up the grid than it should be - resulting in him struggling to mix it with those who qualified around him in the race?

I've also heard that EJ is trying to make him into a more consistent race driver. Could Eddie be taking away from Jarno the very thing that made him brilliant? I remember quite a few storming drives last season including a "mission" in Brazil and a couple of amazing passes into the last turn at Magny-Cours.

Is it just bad luck? (Cars always breaking down)

I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on this.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 12:54 (Ref:104410)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True...Some are a better qualifier..some are a better racer...and some actually started of a better qualifier but ended up becoming a better racer...

Jarno Trulli is one of the drivers i pretty much admire. He is pretty fast in qualifyings and now that he has a faster car, it really highlights this fact. However, it does seem that he had a little problem keeping that speed throughout a race distance...i am not sure...we usually do not see much of him on the circuit...Perhaps it has something to do with the Jordan, which is fast over a lap...but inconsistent over long distance (fuel efficiency, tire wear, handling, etc)
Old 12 Jun 2001, 17:57 (Ref:104468)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At least he's doing better than Frentzen.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 22:09 (Ref:104536)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say I agree that he is a bit of an enigma, but he drove very well in Montreal until his brakes went, he was closing on DC and might have had a podium. Frankly, the Jordans for the last two years have been far too fragile and are not the showcase Trulli needs for his talents. In the right car, he would be a winner.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 02:39 (Ref:104593)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jarno is a brilliant driver. It a bit of good luck and he'll be on an F1 podium some time soon. Bad luck in Montreal...
Old 13 Jun 2001, 03:37 (Ref:104606)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From observing him in Montreal, he obviously has a lot of talent, but like Montoya he seems to over drive the car. Lap after lap he would almost lose the car in the hairpin going full sideways several times before spinning, and then continuing in the same manner.

My guess is that he pushes very hard, and has success in qualifying, but is unable to maintain the same pace in the race without making mistakes.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 06:18 (Ref:104633)   #7
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jay - How many mistakes has Jarno made in races this year? His DNFs have mainly consisted of broken down Jordans. And if he has a couple of spins in practice, so what. As Paul Tracy once said, you have to go off at a corner to know your limit there.
Old 15 Jun 2001, 13:12 (Ref:105486)   #8
greebo
Rookie

greebo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has any1 ever seen Trulli gain a race position by over taking(and not in the pits). He only ever seemed to do it 2 his own team mates......
Old 15 Jun 2001, 15:03 (Ref:105511)   #9
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The start at Austria '97 which he followed up by leading for 37 laps before the engine went? Nurburgring '99? Plus numerous others I can't begin to count
Old 15 Jun 2001, 15:17 (Ref:105518)   #10
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jarno is talented racer, but Jordan cannot provide a reliable car for him. His perfomance is better than Frenzen"s one, although HHF is more experied. Is difficult to show the best if the car does not let him.

Nevertheless I do not think Jarno may change a team for best performance: Ferrari and Williams are buzy, Mac may be able to offer a seat instead of Mika"s, but there will be too many candidates.