Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Jan 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1203939)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jim McGee Comments

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=8647

Couple of interesting points he brings up
* Apparently PKVR have bought all of Fernandez's old CC stuff. They must have some extra cars sitting around. I wonder if in the future they'll consider running >2 cars?
* If NH don't sign up CDM it sounds like PKVR will! From the perspective of having strong teams in the series, I think this would be better than if NH took CDM. On the other hand I'd like to see the two young drivers get a shot.
* Apparently there will be a early February test where they'll decide between Bjorn and Dalziel.
* Last year Carl Hass did ask him if he'd run a full year IRL team.

I really hope PKVR can run towards the front, this series really needs tighter competition.

Last edited by Snrub; 18 Jan 2005 at 17:58.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1204096)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds rather certain that da Matta will be in a ChampCar.
Which team? McGee needs to know pretty soon!
Quote:
My interest has always been in Champ Car and when Kalkhoven, Forsythe and Gentilozzi came in and bought Champ Car I liked the direction that they wanted to go.
Me too!
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1204261)   #3
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
* If NH don't sign up CDM it sounds like PKVR will! From the perspective of having strong teams in the series, I think this would be better than if NH took CDM...
Thank you thank you thank you!!
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:09 (Ref:1204268)   #4
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want it all....and I want it now!

3 cars for Newman-Haas and Three for PKV for both the new young talents please!

Nah, seriously it seems CDM WILL be back next year, all that's up in the air is if he's in a red car.....or a slightly darker shade of red or possibly brown car....(depending on which livery he would run at N/H!)
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1204274)   #5
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, I've been hoping for Wirdheim the whole off-season... but it's great to know that they're considering Cristiano. It just seems like if da Matta doesn't get a ride this year, it could be over for him - as opposed to someone like Ryan Dalziel who has his whole career ahead of him and is still young.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:23 (Ref:1204278)   #6
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If da Matta comes along then there will be three champions racing in a series with 18 cars thats 16.6777% when was the last time that happened.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1204280)   #7
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch
If da Matta comes along then there will be three champions racing in a series with 18 cars thats 16.6777% when was the last time that happened.
Four Champions!

Poor old JV....always forgotten!
Old 19 Jan 2005, 00:33 (Ref:1204284)   #8
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even better 22.22%.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 02:26 (Ref:1204340)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds very positive for the series and PKV. Wish we could see both Dalziel and Wirdeim get a ride. As well as 'Shorty' of course.
I'm starting to get really primed for this season.
How long until Long Beach?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Jan 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1204816)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I kind of doubt that CDM won't get a ride for this year with someone. Everyone knows how good he is. Even if for some freak reason he sat out 2005, I think he'd still be valuable in 2006.

In '98 there was Zanardi, Vasser, Unser Jr., Andretti. Before that I suppose it would be '94 when there was Mansell, Unser Jr., Mario, Sullivan, Emmo, Rahal, Michael. If you include future champs there was also PT, Vasser and JV.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 01:58 (Ref:1205231)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
Sounds very positive for the series and PKV. Wish we could see both Dalziel and Wirdeim get a ride. As well as 'Shorty' of course.
I'm starting to get really primed for this season.
How long until Long Beach?
Well if this does turn out to be Jimmy's final year. Imagine in 2006 if PKV had a line up of CDM, Wirdheim and Dalziel.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1207346)   #12
Öbus
Rookie

Öbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CD will sign for PKV! Deal is not yet done but will be in less than a week. BW is out in the cold without any other options available due to PKV and Jim McGhee,s dirty play.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1207425)   #13
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Öbus
CD will sign for PKV! Deal is not yet done but will be in less than a week. BW is out in the cold without any other options available due to PKV and Jim McGhee,s dirty play.
With respect, we heard that about Newman-Haas and CDM too....

Still, if there's three PKV cars next year, doesn't that not completely rule out BW?
Old 22 Jan 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1207476)   #14
Öbus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47
With respect, we heard that about Newman-Haas and CDM too....

Still, if there's three PKV cars next year, doesn't that not completely rule out BW?
There will not be three cars in PKV next year.

Last edited by Öbus; 22 Jan 2005 at 23:56.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1207491)   #15
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If that's true, it's very sad to see Wirdheim getting screwed over like that. I'd much rather see him in at PKV rather than Da Matta.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1208795)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Obus, could you elaborate on the "dirty play?"

This is purely hypothetical, but I think that Wirdheim might stand a chance with Rocketsports or Forsythe (to a lesser extent). Conquest, Walker and Coyne (1 free seat) are all open to whomever can bring in money (or if they can somehow find sponsorship), but if no one is found then the series will have to help pay for seats so Wirdheim may stand a chance even if he has no money to bring.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1208947)   #17
Öbus
Rookie

Dirty play in that sense that they (PKV) kept BW in the belief for the last two month, that he should be given the seat. They kept all the options/doors open for them selves but will more or less slam the door in BW’s face the day CD is prepared to sign for much less money that he originally asked for. This has caused BW big problem in lost time and momentum and due to that less team to contact with available seats. It’s only team how is asking for money left and BW has no big sponsors to call on just one month before the series starts. If he had been treated in a proper way already one month ago his options both with sponsors and available team had been far better than today. According to Swedish contacts BW is ****ed off and has lost all his faith for PKV and how they are playing around with him. This is maybe the cruel way of making business in racing but not a proper way to deal with respectable and young people.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1208964)   #18
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'd like you to elaborate on "According to Swedish contacts".
Another member could PM me and tell me that Valiante has just signed with Forsythe.
I could come on and say "According to Canadian contacts".
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1208980)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Old 24 Jan 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1209072)   #20
Öbus
Rookie

Ok! A Swedish journalist and friend of mine who have certain insight in BW’s racing. I agree that the information could be a little bit subjective but you have to live with that. Take it for what it is or forget I ever wrote it.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 07:47 (Ref:1209244)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I'm cool with that, Obus.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1209343)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clearly OWRS owe Wirdheim a drive, one way or another, and I hope they will aim to find him one. RHR will be the first priority for them to ensure is in the series once da Matta's deal is signed, but hopefully an extra seat can be found for Bjorn, even if it is with a smaller team. The whole 'conflict of interest' issue regarding a hadnful of team owners running the series is still clearly an issue.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1209424)   #23
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this all comes about badly for BW I will feel badly for the guy. I would love to see him in the series, but the reality is that CDM at a lower price is a better deal for PKV.
They don't owe anybody a ride. BW must realize that the racing game (especially in todays economic climate) is tough for everyone. If he put all his eggs in one basket then that is his mistake.
He's a talented pilot here's hoping he gets a ride, ideally in CC.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 25 Jan 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1209555)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Clearly OWRS owe Wirdheim a drive, one way or another.

No they don't!
Old 25 Jan 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1209715)   #25
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
If this all comes about badly for BW I will feel badly for the guy. I would love to see him in the series, but the reality is that CDM at a lower price is a better deal for PKV.
They don't owe anybody a ride. BW must realize that the racing game (especially in todays economic climate) is tough for everyone. If he put all his eggs in one basket then that is his mistake.
He's a talented pilot here's hoping he gets a ride, ideally in CC.
Yep, agreed. OWRS definitely does not OWE, anybody a ride.