Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jul 2023, 20:44 (Ref:4170058)   #951
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I got stopped for speeding in France 40 years ago when towing my speedboat down to Spain. They took me to the nearest bank to get some money to pay the fine and I'm pretty sure that they pocketed the cash as they refused to give me a receipt !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Jul 2023, 22:12 (Ref:4170063)   #952
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Often, I think this syndrome of people constantly speeding up & slowing down on motorways is, in many cases, down to mobile phone usage.

I've noticed that when people are using their phones - either speaking or, unbelievably, texting - their ability to concentrate on driving goes out the window and they subconsciously slow down. Then, once they've finished their call/text, they speed up again to normal speed, only to begin the whole cycle again a few miles later when they simply can't wait to pick that phone up again!

Morons doesn't even begin to cover it...

I remember one time a few years ago on the M6 I came up behind a large van in the middle lane. It began to slow down inexplicably, and as I was towing a trailer, I couldn't legally enter the third lane to pass it. After sitting behind it for a while, by which time it was down to about 40 mph - in the middle lane of a busy M6 - I got sick of this idiot and moved left and passed on the inside. A few minutes later, same van goes speeding past at 70+. You can probably guess what happened next: yep, sure enough, a few miles further on, I catch him again, back down to about 40, but this time at least he's in the left lane. I couldn't believe what I saw next - this time, as I drew level passing him on the right as usual, I got a better look at the driver. Incredibly, this guy was steering the van with his elbows whilst he held two phones, one in each hand, presumably attempting to read and/or write text messages! Un-f***ing-believable!
Old 27 Jul 2023, 00:22 (Ref:4170070)   #953
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crikey, we are not even allowed to touch a phone whilst driving, without risking 4 points and a $600 fine. Literally not touch it. Phones can only be used when driving with a full in car bluetooth handsfree cradle system. You cant even use them whilst driving to scroll and select music on them.
We even have specially positioned cameras solely for detecting those touching or using their 'phone (or not wearing seatbelts.)
The same rules above also apply to smart watches,

https://www.vic.gov.au/mobile-phone-...ection-cameras
Old 27 Jul 2023, 00:30 (Ref:4170071)   #954
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
One more, as we could all tell some tale of woe of terrible driving. The other week in Spain I was driving down to the beach following a Transit van, it stopped at the beach road T junction and didn't move so I dropped back to go past it as I thought it had broken down or something? No the bloke got out to deliver a parcel !!! We often see people driving in the middle of the road or completely on the wrong side whilst talking/texting on the phone or even reading. Parking on pedestrian crossings is completely normal and often on both sides, if you happen to stop for a pedestrian you are normally overtaken by lycra clad cyclist on both sides at unabated speed ! The trouble is that it all seems that "some drivers" just think it is absolutely normal and do what they like, and have been doing it for years !
Years ago I was in Lincolnshire towing my race car following this old boy on a narrow road when he suddenly braked and turned right with no indication, I saw that he had stopped and I got out to have a "few words" he said "everybody knows that I live here !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 27 Jul 2023 at 00:42.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Jul 2023, 04:50 (Ref:4170081)   #955
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I don’t believe you would ever give anyone verbal for bad driving Gordon . Your toooooo nice . ?
Old 27 Jul 2023, 06:53 (Ref:4170085)   #956
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I got stopped for speeding in France 40 years ago when towing my speedboat down to Spain. They took me to the nearest bank to get some money to pay the fine and I'm pretty sure that they pocketed the cash as they refused to give me a receipt !
You've been lucky then, Gordon, the receipt being an addition to the fine, you got a bargain.

As to speeding on our toll highways, I mean insane speeds, I once tried to follow a black Saab at night with no success, the driver was in a hurry to deliver the first bottles of Beaujolais Nouveau to your wonderful island. Go faster delivery I'd say.
Old 27 Jul 2023, 07:05 (Ref:4170086)   #957
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=E.B;4170070]We even have specially positioned cameras solely for detecting those touching or using their 'phone (or not wearing seatbelts.)
The same rules above also apply to smart watches.QUOTE] A good thing imo. At night, Police can see when truckers are using one or two phones, because the screen light lights up their faces. During day light, they use a pair of "moving traps", one car and an helicopter. You can't imagine what a trcuker can do whilst driving, reading news paper and even read a novel. And I still wonder why its so easy to find alcohol of any kind in a gaz station when its so hard to find motor oil.

As to lorries in Spain, should you want to overtake one, you've better reach 125 kph if not more. Specially at night. They are supposed to have a built-in device to keep the maximum speed at 90 kph but it seems that a simple magnet can help to cheat with the whole sophisticated system (works with an EV bike!). What a man does…
Old 27 Jul 2023, 07:46 (Ref:4170094)   #958
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=Gerard C;4170086]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
We even have specially positioned cameras solely for detecting those touching or using their 'phone (or not wearing seatbelts.)
The same rules above also apply to smart watches.QUOTE] A good thing imo. At night, Police can see when truckers are using one or two phones, because the screen light lights up their faces. During day light, they use a pair of "moving traps", one car and an helicopter. You can't imagine what a trcuker can do whilst driving, reading news paper and even read a novel. And I still wonder why its so easy to find alcohol of any kind in a gaz station when its so hard to find motor oil.

As to lorries in Spain, should you want to overtake one, you've better reach 125 kph if not more. Specially at night. They are supposed to have a built-in device to keep the maximum speed at 90 kph but it seems that a simple magnet can help to cheat with the whole sophisticated system (works with an EV bike!). What a man does…
That I didn't know, but it doesn't surprise me. There's a reason why it's been banned using a phone while driving, it's always been ill advisable. So the best way not to get caught is not do it. Driving requires full concentration. Especially something as taxing as lorry driving

That sounds crazy how they do it in Spain. You wonder how there aren't more accidents. Seems they need to end that loophole of going over the maximum speed
Old 27 Jul 2023, 09:35 (Ref:4170118)   #959
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Crikey, we are not even allowed to touch a phone whilst driving, without risking 4 points and a $600 fine. Literally not touch it. Phones can only be used when driving with a full in car bluetooth handsfree cradle system. You cant even use them whilst driving to scroll and select music on them.
The same rules above also apply to smart watches,

https://www.vic.gov.au/mobile-phone-...ection-cameras
It's the same here these days. Not sure about the number of cameras deployed yet. However many areas, especially where motorways are involved, have unmarked Police operated HGVs driving around and taking video of both cars and truck drivers touching phones. I think the points and fines may be higher here.
Old 27 Jul 2023, 09:55 (Ref:4170121)   #960
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=S griffin;4170094]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post

That I didn't know, but it doesn't surprise me. There's a reason why it's been banned using a phone while driving, it's always been ill advisable. So the best way not to get caught is not do it. Driving requires full concentration. Especially something as taxing as lorry driving
It's actually a bit more subtle than that.

I hate anything that distracts me from the road and surrounding traffic unless I am on an empty motorway - such a rare occurrence these days that it seems to have Unicorn status.

On the other hand I know some people who seem to be entirely capable of multitasking in extremis.

One run I did down the M4, albeit back in the 90s, dealt with a technical help request call and a couple of calls from one of his staff during the journey. At the same time he was thinking up some software script code to solve another problem, which he then dictated to someone as we travelled back.

Most of the journey was at 80mph in a Rover 620. I between calls we chatted about many other subjects.

He also had a complete understanding of the road situation around him. Not once did I feel that he missed something that I would have spotted had I been driving entirely un-distracted.

He was probably an exception - I have not met many people able to multi-task anywhere close to the way he did in many situations - but there are a minority of people who can drive and do some other things at the same time completely safely, by regular standards.

Others can't drive at all, but are still allowed behind the wheel.

As for lane hoggers ...

M40 late on Sunday afternoon, a lot of traffic, mostly travelling around the speed limit. Third lane clogged up about every 5 miles or so. Invariably a middle lane hogger running slightly slower than everyone else for whatever reason.

I did take a look at the drivers for the last 30 odd miles up to the M42 approaching Birmingham. It seemed likely that in that small example there was clear evidence of some sort of ethnicity or similar commonality for all of them.

Little or no commercial traffic at the time but to be fair some parts of the Mway have rather unpleasantly worn 1st lanes that might lead to car drivers avoiding them and the potholes they contain.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 02:53 (Ref:4170333)   #961
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see Steve Nicholls was present at Iain's Stoke Row and Nuffield Motor Sport Day.
I doubt he brought his new creation to the day given its public launch and the weather, but I received an email mail out from GW with an article on his new road car creation, the Nicholls 1A from his road car company.

Based on a McLaren M1 Can-Am shape and concept, and with a mighty just shy of 500kW LS3 based engine I wouldnt say no to one for a Sunday drive. Oh apart from £450,000 after taxes price tag in the UK.

Full article on the car here: (Hopefully the link works) https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/ne...-for-the-road/
Old 29 Jul 2023, 06:45 (Ref:4170344)   #962
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Link works fine here, thanks, great info. Just could add typical Chevy air horns and may be I'll consider about buying a model of it!
Old 29 Jul 2023, 10:03 (Ref:4170370)   #963
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Often, I think this syndrome of people constantly speeding up & slowing down on motorways is, in many cases, down to mobile phone usage.

I've noticed that when people are using their phones - either speaking or, unbelievably, texting - their ability to concentrate on driving goes out the window and they subconsciously slow down. Then, once they've finished their call/text, they speed up again to normal speed, only to begin the whole cycle again a few miles later when they simply can't wait to pick that phone up again!

Morons doesn't even begin to cover it...

I remember one time a few years ago on the M6 I came up behind a large van in the middle lane. It began to slow down inexplicably, and as I was towing a trailer, I couldn't legally enter the third lane to pass it. After sitting behind it for a while, by which time it was down to about 40 mph - in the middle lane of a busy M6 - I got sick of this idiot and moved left and passed on the inside. A few minutes later, same van goes speeding past at 70+. You can probably guess what happened next: yep, sure enough, a few miles further on, I catch him again, back down to about 40, but this time at least he's in the left lane. I couldn't believe what I saw next - this time, as I drew level passing him on the right as usual, I got a better look at the driver. Incredibly, this guy was steering the van with his elbows whilst he held two phones, one in each hand, presumably attempting to read and/or write text messages! Un-f***ing-believable!
The HSE in the U.K. have done studies in to the perils of mobile phone useage whilst driving - INCLUDING HANDS FREE - and the evidence is that it is still extremely dangerous to drive whilst on the phone even when hands free.
The reason why hands free telephone calls were not banned at the same time as phoning using the hand set directly was because the emergency services would also not have been able to use their phones/ radios and the could not frame a law which made the distinction between the general public and the emergency services.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 11:21 (Ref:4170382)   #964
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The HSE in the U.K. have done studies in to the perils of mobile phone useage whilst driving - INCLUDING HANDS FREE - and the evidence is that it is still extremely dangerous to drive whilst on the phone even when hands free.
In my view, the distractive occupation of using a phone also applies to satnav operation whilst driving, the whole concept is flawed because by it's very nature it involves taking your eyes off the road and refocusing to read a screen. These so called driver enhancements should have been clamped down on right from the start but the horse has long since bolted.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 11:46 (Ref:4170389)   #965
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
In my view, the distractive occupation of using a phone also applies to satnav operation whilst driving, the whole concept is flawed because by it's very nature it involves taking your eyes off the road and refocusing to read a screen.
It took ages to have HUD avalaible on production cars, think the first was Corvette. Now you can have it on a single 208… when it works.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 11:53 (Ref:4170390)   #966
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It took ages to have HUD avalaible on production cars, think the first was Corvette. Now you can have it on a single 208… when it works.
It still entails taking your eyes off the road to refocus and unlike glancing say for a second on your speedometer, by it's very nature it requires the user to concentrate on the screen.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 12:00 (Ref:4170394)   #967
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes but the way they work now you can chose several data to be displayed on the screen. Which distracts a little bit from the road as you say. Better than nothing at all. Works fine for fighter pilots, either on-screen or visor, but any of those is not Mr Average.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 12:05 (Ref:4170395)   #968
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of fighter pilots , just heard a wonderful noise , had to run outside and there was a Spitfire going over at about 1500Ft .
Possibly some show somewhere , but the first I have seen this year .
Old 29 Jul 2023, 12:10 (Ref:4170396)   #969
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Merlin magic…
Old 29 Jul 2023, 12:23 (Ref:4170398)   #970
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Merlin magic…
Definitely . Had to look it up on here .https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

It came from Coningsby , so Battle of Britain flight .
There was also another one which I did not see , and also a Flying Fortress shown in the area , so a lot happening today .
Old 29 Jul 2023, 15:16 (Ref:4170418)   #971
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Definitely . Had to look it up on here .https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

It came from Coningsby , so Battle of Britain flight .
There was also another one which I did not see , and also a Flying Fortress shown in the area , so a lot happening today .
It's great to see & hear them, isn't it?

I occasionally get 'buzzed' by a Harvard. The pilot is the son of a near-neighbour & he occasionally gives us a fly-past. Although I have never actually met him he knows I like to see the aircraft so always gives me a bit of a treat. However, it is a bit noisy so he doesn't loiter around over the village for too long.

More often he comes in his own small 'plane & gives us more of a display in that. He has barrel-rolled it across my garden more than once with great precision! I could tell you what he does for a living, but that's a secret..
Old 29 Jul 2023, 16:37 (Ref:4170429)   #972
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
BoB, Super Marine then. I found the sound of the "Dunkeerk" movie was more than acceptable when watched in a modern theatre with Dolby.
Moons ago, when pilote student at Rousseau Aviation Dinard, we had a classic resto airplanes dept. I had the opportunity to detail a Chance Vought F4U (may be similar to TV series Black Sheep Squadron?) and was fascinated by the huge size and aggressive look of this machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I could tell you what he does for a living, but that's a secret..
Air Baguette stewart? If he's flying across your garden, maybe Kubota Lawnmower official driver? New crazy quizz here?!
Old 29 Jul 2023, 16:41 (Ref:4170430)   #973
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
BoB, Super Marine then. I found the sound of the "Dunkeerk" movie was more than acceptable when watched in a modern theatre with Dolby.
Moons ago, when pilote student at Rousseau Aviation Dinard, we had a classic resto airplanes dept. I had the opportunity to detail a Chance Vought F4U (may be similar to TV series Black Sheep Squadron?) and was fascinated by the huge size and aggressive look of this machine.

Air Baguette stewart?
Rather more destructive than that!

For me nothing beats being near a Hellcat or Tiger Cat when they fire up. The Americans certainly know how to make big piston engines!
Old 29 Jul 2023, 16:47 (Ref:4170433)   #974
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
No remplacement for displacement!
Old 29 Jul 2023, 16:57 (Ref:4170435)   #975
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, I guess you know this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Hors...s=books&sr=1-1
For your eyes only cose french language:https://www.aerovfr.com/2020/11/des-...rniere-guerre/