Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Aug 2023, 17:29 (Ref:4173372)   #1101
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
You mean you'l take a ***** breathe, be ****** relaxed and have a ***** good beer thinking about the ***** good day your ***** driver will have driving a ***** karting on a ***** good track? Fiiiiine, Max, ***** fiiiiine…
Well, I've just finished cleaning my car so I might well have a cold beer too - a British one, thanks to Lidl's!!

Tomorrow morning I shall have a nice pleasant leisurely drive to Le Touquet for a classic car show where Alfa Romeo is the featured marque & Alfa Club du Nord is taking 21 cars along.

Should be a very nice day!
Old 19 Aug 2023, 17:32 (Ref:4173373)   #1102
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, and I have just seen that SNCF trains are experiencing serious delays in the south-west due to breakdowns.

Yes, trains are crap here too!
Old 19 Aug 2023, 19:10 (Ref:4173375)   #1103
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
When you see who's the SNCF boss now, nothing to be surprised about I fear.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 20:01 (Ref:4173380)   #1104
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
The total of vehicle CO2 emissions in the UK is 0.000001% of the atmosphere .
That's a very strange way to present a stat, to suit a narrative.

CO2 accounts for about 76 percent of total GHG emissions.
Transport is the largest emitting sector of GHG emissions, producing 24% of the UK’s total.
Transport became the largest emitting sector in 2016. This follows large decreases in energy emissions as the UK switched away from coal power and towards gas, while transport emissions have remained relatively static.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 20:06 (Ref:4173382)   #1105
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Over here, Maccy D's claim that all their trucks run on recycled oil from their restaurants. I don't know whether they run solely on that oil or whether they just supplement their fuel usage with the stuff from the fryers.

Now, I don't know whether that claim is a sleight of hand or smoke and mirrors, however to the best of my knowledge, the company doesn't actually produce any of their edibles because they outsource that to other companies who deliver that produce, not Maccy D's themselves.
It's a supplement to the supply of fuel (about 42%).
At a processing facility in Liverpool, esterification takes place, then filtration and distillation.

'We are running a similar initiative in the UK, converting our used cooking oil into biodiesel through Olleco, a renewable fuel provider. This goes to our transport provider, Martin Brower, to help fuel delivery trucks, which backhaul food waste from our kitchens. And it doesn’t stop there. This food waste is converted by Olleco into gas and electricity, some of which is supplied to the neighboring Arla dairy, which supplies all of our organic milk in the UK. The milk they produce, along with other supplies, are delivered to restaurants by the biodiesel-fueled trucks. The circle continues.'
Old 19 Aug 2023, 20:36 (Ref:4173385)   #1106
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That's a very strange way to present a stat, to suit a narrative.

CO2 accounts for about 76 percent of total GHG emissions.
Transport is the largest emitting sector of GHG emissions, producing 24% of the UK’s total.
Transport became the largest emitting sector in 2016. This follows large decreases in energy emissions as the UK switched away from coal power and towards gas, while transport emissions have remained relatively static.
Transport accounts for about 20odd % of UK CO2 emissions . UK is about 1% of all human CO2 emissions , which is about 3% of all CO2 which makes up 0.04% of the atmosphere . So that is 1 part in 50 million parts .

And there has been hundreds of scientific papers published proving that all of the CO2 can have NO measureable effect on the climate

Water vapour , which might have a slight effect as a GHG , is many hundreds of times greater in the atmosphere than CO2 , but they havent yet figured out how to tax that yet .
Old 19 Aug 2023, 20:48 (Ref:4173387)   #1107
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Transport accounts for about 20odd % of UK CO2 emissions . UK is about 1% of all human CO2 emissions , which is about 3% of all CO2 which makes up 0.04% of the atmosphere . So that is 1 part in 50 million parts .

And there has been hundreds of scientific papers published proving that all of the CO2 can have NO measureable effect on the climate

Water vapour , which might have a slight effect as a GHG , is many hundreds of times greater in the atmosphere than CO2 , but they havent yet figured out how to tax that yet .
And the more credible scientific community recognises that water vapour is also a GHG - and also acknowledge that it is not tracked the same way as other GHGs because it is not directly emitted by human activity and its effects are not well understood.

Don't conflate attempts to curb CO2 emissions, and the lack of effort to curb water vapour, as some form of credible claim that the reason is taxation. It's a fallacy that demonstrates the desire of certain communities to find any excuse to ignore the truth.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 21:10 (Ref:4173390)   #1108
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You don’t have to reply you know.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 21:44 (Ref:4173392)   #1109
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But CO2 helps plants grow.....
Old 19 Aug 2023, 23:15 (Ref:4173404)   #1110
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
But CO2 helps plants grow.....

Aha!
Old 20 Aug 2023, 06:33 (Ref:4173434)   #1111
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Many years ago MGDavid told me that when he became King he would force a law that only competition licence holders could drive on Sundays.

Life is full of disappointments and so far he has failed in his promise.

Never mind global warming, it's poor air quality that's a major problem of car usage that even Tel can't deny; my asthma flares up if I go to a big city. London isn't called "The Smoke" for nothing. We *must* cut back our reliance on the car for a happier and healthier future. Improving climate change is a side benefit, imagine fewer potholes because of fewer vehicles, no brown stains in the air over cities, more room for our (grand)children to play, the chance to leave your window open without being deafened by cars on the A249 all night (spot who had a lousy night sleep).

As I said, I know I'm part of the problem but if traffic were free-er my van would do better MPG and make less pollution.

Vote MGDavid for king then we may get our wish!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 20 Aug 2023, 08:28 (Ref:4173443)   #1112
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Max, not if I have to go through all the rigmarole of applying to renew my competition licence after having not had one since 1971 and the hassle and cost of all the medicals that are a requirement!

Your point about air quality is very valid. In 1967, the year is ingrained, I drove up from London to visit someone who lived near Harrogate and I drove through the centre of Leeds to get there. I can vividly remember the state of the main buildings around Leeds Station, all built with York stone as you would expect for a proud county. And they were as black as tar from all the fossil fuel consumed in the area.

My immediate impression was that it was such a depressing area.

Now that coal, in particular, is no longer the main source for providing for heating and electricity, all those buildings have been renovated back to their glorious former glory. I think that people don not remember how awful life could be 50 or so years ago, and hoe improved the air quality is now compared to then, what with smog even as recently (comparatively) as the 80s.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 20 Aug 2023 at 08:43.
Old 20 Aug 2023, 08:35 (Ref:4173444)   #1113
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Many years ago MGDavid told me that when he became King he would force a law that only competition licence holders could drive on Sundays.

No vote for me I'm much more sensible !Name:  MRLP.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  180.2 KB
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Aug 2023, 08:51 (Ref:4173445)   #1114
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
We *must* cut back our reliance on the car for a happier and healthier future. Improving climate change is a side benefit, imagine fewer potholes because of fewer vehicles, no brown stains in the air over cities, more room for our (grand)children to play, the chance to leave your window open without being deafened by cars on the A249 all night (spot who had a lousy night sleep).
I know I am also part of the problem - but as you say, so many of us are unwilling to relinquish our access to personal motorised transport, so an alternative has to be the solution. EVs might not be the final stage, but a step along the way towards something that allows you the freedom(s) of a car without the pollution (either at source or in general).

Although - the noise might remain on the A249 unless you can make tyre and wind noise disappear?
Old 20 Aug 2023, 11:37 (Ref:4173453)   #1115
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I know I am also part of the problem

Although - the noise might remain on the A249 unless you can make tyre and wind noise disappear?
Most of us are part of the problem unfortunately, Although I live in the country we are plagued with noise and pollution from airplanes flying low over my house from 5am at this time of the year, as we are on Gatwick approach. Saying that I am one of the first people to get a bucket price flight and have been a frequent flyer for the last 50 years. And before someone comments that you shouldn't have moved there, I have lived in the same village since 1947
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Aug 2023, 11:44 (Ref:4173456)   #1116
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Although I live in the country we are plagued with noise and pollution from airplanes flying low over my house from 5am at this time of the year, as we are on Gatwick approach.
My wife, having been raised in an Air Force family, is unable to sleep if there is no noise around. When we are in rural locations with minimal background noise, she is awake all night. Being next to airfields is a bonus for us!!
Old 20 Aug 2023, 12:02 (Ref:4173458)   #1117
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Never mind global warming, it's poor air quality that's a major problem of car usage that even Tel can't deny; my asthma flares up if I go to a big city. London isn't called "The Smoke" for nothing. We *must* cut back our reliance on the car for a happier and healthier future. Improving climate change is a side benefit, imagine fewer potholes because of fewer vehicles, no brown stains in the air over cities, more room for our (grand)children to play, the chance to leave your window open without being deafened by cars on the A249 all night (spot who had a lousy night sleep).

As I said, I know I'm part of the problem but if traffic were free-er my van would do better MPG and make less pollution.

Official figures show that , since the clean air act of 50/60 years ago , air pollution in the UK has reduced by 75%.

During the lockdown , with about 80% less traffic on the roads , there was no difference in the air , proving that vehicles were not the main cause of it .
https://airqualitynews.com/cars-frei...n-in-scotland/
Most facts like this were hidden away , and when a German Transport Minister did an online news broadcast saying it proved traffic was not the problem , the German Greens had that news item removed in less than 24 hours .

So there is a large political and media campaign to try to blame vehicles for everything , so that they can keep increasing taxes .
Old 20 Aug 2023, 12:18 (Ref:4173461)   #1118
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My wife when we are in rural locations with minimal background noise, she is awake all night. Being next to airfields is a bonus for us!!

Are you sure you got that the right way round, CRM?
Old 20 Aug 2023, 12:22 (Ref:4173462)   #1119
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The real problem is that the population in the UK is too high for the amount of liveable space available.

The world population is also growing at an unsustainable rate.

Less people, less polution.
Old 20 Aug 2023, 12:24 (Ref:4173463)   #1120
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
My wife, having been raised in an Air Force family, is unable to sleep if there is no noise around. When we are in rural locations with minimal background noise, she is awake all night. Being next to airfields is a bonus for us!!

Good job she is used to it. I couldn’t imagine living next to an airfield or airport. Having the noise of planes next to me constantly would be a bit much, not to mention the constant bright lights. And the fact they’d be flying so low could be a bit daunting. Although that said I live next to the site of the former Hatfield aerodrome which is now a business park
Old 20 Aug 2023, 12:50 (Ref:4173464)   #1121
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Having lived in villages both on an initial flight path as well as on final approach to Luton airport, I found that it was very easy to get used to both to the sounds of low aircraft. And just as easy to live in places where you could hear a pin drop, day or night.

Loving aircraft, I now miss being under a flightpath; aircraft have to avoid our area because we are at a higher altitude to the Leeds/Bradford airport.

The only thing that I ever found disturbing sleep when a period when Baby Bear, I think it was nicknamed, the Antonov an124 used to come in nightly to Luton. Overhead was not a problem, but if the wind was in the right direction, you could hear the engines spooling up on landing for reverse thrust and also on take off.
Old 20 Aug 2023, 13:51 (Ref:4173470)   #1122
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Official figures show that , since the clean air act of 50/60 years ago , air pollution in the UK has reduced by 75%.

During the lockdown , with about 80% less traffic on the roads , there was no difference in the air , proving that vehicles were not the main cause of it .
https://airqualitynews.com/cars-frei...n-in-scotland/
Most facts like this were hidden away , and when a German Transport Minister did an online news broadcast saying it proved traffic was not the problem , the German Greens had that news item removed in less than 24 hours .

So there is a large political and media campaign to try to blame vehicles for everything , so that they can keep increasing taxes .

Something that did not get much mention in the news .https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ow/ar-AA1fuOXm

Khan paid a company over half a £million to write a report that Londons ULEZ improved air quality .
When the scientific report said it made almost no difference , all hell was let loose , and the company had to rewrite the report to say what Khan wanted .
Old 20 Aug 2023, 14:06 (Ref:4173471)   #1123
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ow/ar-AA1fuOXm

Khan paid a company over half a £million to write a report that Londons ULEZ improved air quality .
Have you read the article? - because it explains that what this sentence claims is not what happened.
Old 20 Aug 2023, 19:08 (Ref:4173487)   #1124
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If air pollution isn't down to cars, why do I have to suffer "Escape to the Country" on repeat? If the air were clear in London people wouldn't want to escape and I wouldn't be subject to "ooh that house looks nice if you were any good at DIY we could have that here.........."

I genuinely don't buy these "independent reports". Here in Wiltshire there are fewer people and fewer cars, and we don't have a brown haze over Bromham (even after a couple of pints of old and filthy). Fewer cars, air is clear. Loads of cars, air isn't clear. QED as far as I can see. Don't need an expensive report to tell me the bleedin' obvious.

The M25 was hell on wheels today, and they're trying to make the A3 junction bigger to accommodate more cars. Why not make it smaller and force people off the road and stop us being dependent on the Middle East? The M3 east was terrible. The A303 east was terrible. If even half of the cars weren't there because their occupants were on a train think how much easier my drive would have been!

I blame Beeching.

Old 20 Aug 2023, 19:09 (Ref:4173488)   #1125
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Have you read the article? - because it explains that what this sentence claims is not what happened.
You can twist it around anyway you like , but the scientists said the ULEZ had almost no effect on air quality , and KHAN got it changed to what he wanted because he was paying for the report .
https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...lez-scientists
Closed Thread