Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 27 Apr 2004, 17:28 (Ref:953751)   #1
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What is it about Silverstone Marshals?

I do not often post topics on here but I feel I must ask just one question, why do some people have a problem with marshals who belong to the BRDC, and where black overalls?

I myself am a member of the BRDC only because they have the cheapest joint membership, and no I don't wear a black overall. I find that most marshals I have spoken to don't care one way or the other as we are all out to have fun and provide a valuable service to motorsport. But on the odd occasion I have encountered some hosility towards BRDC marshals (I refrain from the term BOB as not many are black nor orrible, and I'm sure most of them know both their parents) it seems to be in the form of 'they think they are better than us' type? I SIMPLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND??? :confused:
Old 27 Apr 2004, 21:39 (Ref:953909)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: What is it about Silverstone Marshals?

Quote:
Originally posted by aprescott
I do not often post topics on here but I feel I must ask just one question, why do some people have a problem with marshals who belong to the BRDC, and where black overalls?

I myself am a member of the BRDC only because they have the cheapest joint membership, and no I don't wear a black overall. I find that most marshals I have spoken to don't care one way or the other as we are all out to have fun and provide a valuable service to motorsport. But on the odd occasion I have encountered some hosility towards BRDC marshals (I refrain from the term BOB as not many are black nor orrible, and I'm sure most of them know both their parents) it seems to be in the form of 'they think they are better than us' type? I SIMPLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND??? :confused:
I suspect it's the usual case of the minority giving the majority a bad name. At the risk of repeating myself - marshals are marshals are marshals regardless of what colour overalls they wear!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 21:56 (Ref:953928)   #3
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
tangoed sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I have only marshaled at Silverstone for the GP I can only comment on what I have heard. That is that it is a bit clicky and none BRDC marshals somtimes get left out of the on post banter ect. I have never exerienced this my self so I dont know how true it is. I have always got on well with the silverstone chaps and chapses when our paths have crossed. It sounds silly I know but thats what I heard once?
Old 27 Apr 2004, 22:18 (Ref:953944)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's just a case of being with people you know. The same happens the other way at other circuits. I agree with Sheila, we're all the same underneath. In the old days I think there was an issue with BOBs going to smaller circuits and telling them how it should be done. Now marshals from other major cirucits did the same, but the black overalls stood out rather more and so a reputation was unfairly gained. Hill climbs used to have the same problem when the 'orange brigade' first started arriving.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 22:40 (Ref:953971)   #5
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Woolley, When you see the same people week in, week out it can seem to the 'outsider' that it is very clicky, because you missed out on the joke three weeks ago. But as soon as you start to actually meet people you find out that this is not the case.
And this does happen at brands, Snet and most of the other circuits in the country, not just at silverstone.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 23:49 (Ref:954008)   #6
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
: As I have only marshaled at Silverstone for the GP I can only comment on what I have heard. That is that it is a bit clicky and none BRDC marshals somtimes get left out

very true but there is some history......
won't go into details here but us Hillclimb Marshals got to do the F1 weigh-area because of it! (1991-93)

I would love to go with the flow and say that BOB's have a problem with the rest of us but.........

I can't!!!

What I can say though, having never marshalled at Silverstone for anything other than the Gp is...

Maybe they (the Silverstone regulars) have to work a different way; ie: I/O's on radio coms unlike the rest of us?? does that make them "different" ? YES it does.

does it make them better or worse???............

NO !!!! not at all!!!!

They are still marshals, trying to do the same as us (Oulton,Mallory,Donington,Snetterton etc) but maybe under different rules or guidelines!!!

I know of arguments between various marshalling clubs but I have never, NOT EVEN ONCE, been subject to it.

As stated above, a Marshal is a Marshal until they decide to be something else!!!!!

I have been a Chief Marshal at many venues and have NEVER, NOT EVEN ONCE, judged a marshal by the colour of their overalls and never will !!!!!!!!!!

I hope no-one else will either.

Last edited by Stuart Hill; 27 Apr 2004 at 23:53.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 07:22 (Ref:954212)   #7
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
crazystu

have been a Chief Marshal at many venues and have NEVER, NOT EVEN ONCE, judged a marshal by the colour of their overalls and never will !!!!!!!!!!

But I most certainly would judge them by their dodgy Tee shirts!!!!!!!!
Lister
Old 28 Apr 2004, 08:00 (Ref:954257)   #8
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never had a problem with our Black and Orange friends. When I have marshalled at Silverstone they have made me feel welcome and I have joined in with the banter.
On the flipside, when the guys come up to Oulton Park we make them feel welcome. We are one and the same.
I thought the idea behind the overalls was to deter those horrid little flies that are attracted to Orange?
Also after leaning on a tyre barrier don,t our Orange overalls turn Black???

Cheers.......Ian
Old 28 Apr 2004, 10:38 (Ref:954427)   #9
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belonging to a club which travel around to lot of different circuits, i too have never had a problem working with other local marshals.I think that it just appears to be cliche on the ground, reality shows we are all doing the same job only maybe slightly differently.If i make sense to anyone.
There maybe people we dont get on with but thats life i am afraid.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 12:13 (Ref:954548)   #10
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember in my second season going to Cadwell. The guys I was on post with (I think they were Cadwell regulars) and I were getting on famously until they started Silverstone-bashing. I started defending the place, as what they saw at GP's isn't the true Silverstone. The comment was made 'You're not one of them in the black overalls, though' (I was wearing an orange set that day) and the atmosphere turned decidedly icy when I said 'My black pair are in the car, I can go and put them on if you want!' Some people have a mindset against 'BOBs' - that's the problem!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 12:21 (Ref:954559)   #11
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I used to be a member of the BRDC Marshals Club, but a couple of years ago decided not to renew my membership.
This was only because I couldn't see the real benefit of belonging to two marshalling clubs.
I have marshalled at Silverstone many times, doing different duties and have yet to encounter anything other than a warm friendly reception from their regulars.
Interestingly though, a Silverstone IO once said that he loved Oulton Park (My local track) but found it to be very cliche and unwelcoming!
I had always thought that Oulton was a very welcoming venue for ALL marshals, but when you sit and think for a moment, perhaps it DID appear that way to a non-regular.
I still maintain that OP is a friendly place but I think we all have a part to play in making non-regulars/new marshals feel a part of the team.

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 28 Apr 2004 at 12:22.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 15:10 (Ref:954754)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well Mr Prescott, I will add my voice to those who find they get a warm and friendly welcome when visiting Silverstone. I have made many friends there over the years and have always felt at ease even from my first GP when I was the only non BOB on post. It's interesting that we see BOB's at many more circuits away from Silverstone that we used to but, at the end of the day we are all marshals and do the same job for the same reasons. As in all walks of life there will always be those who don't make some people welcome no matter what colour overalls they wear, sad but a fact of life I'm afraid.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 15:11 (Ref:954757)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I love the guys that wear the badges with "I'm a BOB and proud of it" on their overalls, it shows we all have a deep rooted sense of humour don't you think?
Old 28 Apr 2004, 20:16 (Ref:954981)   #14
Andrew Hornsey
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Andrew Hornsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually have a set of Black/Orange for Silverstone and a set of orange for elsewhere.

For me it is probably partly due to my age (When I started, there was a lot of them and us) and partly due to not wanting to stand out.

At every circuit you get the "we know best brigade", and fortunatly they are in the minority.

Just out of interest Mr Prescott, what made you post the original post. If you do not want to post it, PM me. No real issues, I am just inquisitive.

Andrew
Old 30 Apr 2004, 16:38 (Ref:957101)   #15
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was just wondering why there was this 'them and us' type of mentality with some people? But as I have found it is with just a minority, thankfully!
Old 30 Apr 2004, 18:37 (Ref:957200)   #16
Flag Wave
Rookie

Flag Wave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
deleted inappropriate post.

Last edited by Stephen Green; 1 May 2004 at 08:03.
Old 1 May 2004, 05:40 (Ref:957609)   #17
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Flag Wave, although you've used the word think twice in that pithy little reply, surely you did'nt before posting such an inflammable little throwaway comment.

I hope.

Best regards from a Brands Hatch permanent fixture.
Old 1 May 2004, 08:02 (Ref:957666)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I agree, you have made a very imflammatry statement. Let me weald the edit button!
Old 1 May 2004, 09:50 (Ref:957707)   #19
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I`ve been marshalling at Silverstone for the BRDC for just 5 years, I`ve been all over the place from Croft to snetterton to Castle coombe and I`ve always had a great welcome maybe once at Donnington Park at sign on(Only did sunday because of work comminments and got the cold shoulder all day)I was the only BOB in the Que at the Time!(Is it Coz I is Black and Orange)I just love Marshalling with whatever,wherever,whoever.we all do the same job and work as a team whatever we get thrown at us,
Old 1 May 2004, 10:56 (Ref:957735)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by bastinscully
I`ve been marshalling at Silverstone for the BRDC for just 5 years, I`ve been all over the place from Croft to snetterton to Castle coombe and I`ve always had a great welcome maybe once at Donnington Park at sign on(Only did sunday because of work comminments and got the cold shoulder all day)I was the only BOB in the Que at the Time!(Is it Coz I is Black and Orange)I just love Marshalling with whatever,wherever,whoever.we all do the same job and work as a team whatever we get thrown at us,
Exactly! It does not matter a fig what colour overalls you wear, we all do the same job and for the same reasons.
Old 1 May 2004, 11:22 (Ref:957752)   #21
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a stupid thread. I thought we were one team with the same interest at heart. There is enough problems about, lets not make extra ones for no reason.
RS.
Old 1 May 2004, 18:51 (Ref:958009)   #22
SJC-214
Racer

SJC-214 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Lewis
I have never had a problem with our Black and Orange friends. When I have marshalled at Silverstone they have made me feel welcome and I have joined in with the banter.
On the flipside, when the guys come up to Oulton Park we make them feel welcome. We are one and the same.
I thought the idea behind the overalls was to deter those horrid little flies that are attracted to Orange?
Also after leaning on a tyre barrier don,t our Orange overalls turn Black???

Cheers.......Ian
I agree totally with both Ian and Observer comments.

I too have always been made very welcome when I have visited Silverstone and I always make sure visiting marshals whether in black or Orange overalls are made to feel welcome and part of the team.

If there are any marshals out there whether you wear black overalls or Orange ones who would like to visit us at Oulton Park or Anglesey please come along, you will be made very welcome and thats a promise.
Old 1 May 2004, 20:09 (Ref:958094)   #23
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps Silverstone marshals smell? ...Our own "Bacon Sandwich" in orange obviously agrees!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
bacon.jpg  
Old 1 May 2004, 21:19 (Ref:958135)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Ok folks, thread closed as I think it's run it's course
Old 1 May 2004, 21:20 (Ref:958138)   #25
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rzsio396
This is a stupid thread. I thought we were one team with the same interest at heart. There is enough problems about, lets not make extra ones for no reason.
RS.
WELL SAID

I have been at Curborough today for a sprint and there were marshals there from Donington, Silverstone, Mallory, Cadwell AND, dare I say it, b****r it yes I will, two that normally only do TOCA meetings. The WHOLE team were absolutely brilliant - they were there to to a job and they all did a superb job. Nobody cared where they CAME FROM it was WHERE THEY WERE that mattered.

As I've said before, marshals are marshals are marshals.

Now will someone PLEASE get me off this soapbox?