Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Jun 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1324410)   #1
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Julian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshals Wanted - The Silverstone 24 Hour!

THE Event of 2005

The Silverstone Britcar 24 Hour

9th - 11th September

It is time to volunteer for THE event of the year, for the first time we have a 24 Hour race at Silverstone. Those of you who have attended any of James Tucker's EERC events will know that he always puts on an excellent event - this will be the best yet and the start of an important annual event.

There are several ways to volunteer:

For ES duties, contact Pam Dearn at Silverstone in the usual way

For all other duties, either contact John Sadler or use the on-line form at http://www.marshals.org.uk

I will add further information here as it becomes available.

If you have any questions, please contact me at home@julian-floyd.com

Julian Floyd (BRSCC Midlands Centre)

ps - could this please be made a "Hot Topic"?
Old 20 Jun 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1335185)   #2
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame it clashes with the Goodwood Revival, Julain, which is where I hope to be!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1335735)   #3
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
Shame it clashes with the Goodwood Revival, Julain, which is where I hope to be!
Clive

The Revival is actually 16th 17th & 18th so you have no excuse.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1336242)   #4
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh poo, i got it down wrong in my diary! I can now go to my friends son's wedding on the Saturday, whcih solves that problem!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1336244)   #5
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
and yes, I know it should be Julian, sorry about that
Old 2 Jul 2005, 07:01 (Ref:1345221)   #6
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can I just say that if you are worried about working at a 24 hour race - DON'T BE!

As someone who has worked at Le Mans three times, I am really looking forward to this - even though I'll be up in race control (which at Silverstone means you don't see daylight)!

Hopefully the organisers will manage:
Central, easily accessible, decent camping facilities for when we are off duty.
A workable rota that means everyone gets time to do what they want when off duty (mind you, that is all dependent on how many bodies volunteer).

The best rota system I came across at Le Mans was 2 hours on, 2 hours off, 2 hours on standby. Off meant "off" but standby meant "available", so the skeleton crew "on" would have back-up if something big happened. It also meant you could take the time to get back into the race situation before going "on". We all did the first and last hour.

I definitely think that this is going to be a meeting not to miss.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1345316)   #7
Englishman
Rookie

England
Englishman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Due to family commitments (and a loss of "The Buzz") I've been taking this year off from marshalling. However this meeting sounds GREAT and has certainly got "The Buzz" tweaked.

Looks like I'll have to contact Julian!!!!
Old 2 Jul 2005, 16:46 (Ref:1345484)   #8
st1100
Rookie

United Kingdom
bicester
st1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
silverstone 24 hour

eerc is going from strength to strength it,s taken a lot sorting out to get a 24 hour race at silverstone at least give it a go the grids are getting bigger at every meeting look at brands last weekend ,the more bodys we have on the bank the easyer it will be for all concerned
Old 3 Jul 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1346184)   #9
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is just the right sort of message that we need to get across.

Something like Le Mans naturally attracts huge numbers of marshals whereas this is the type of meeting that could so easily be ignored by the majority.

A 24 hour race is, by default, a special occasion - so you won't want to miss out, will you? If you haven't already volunteered then get in touch with Julian - I'm sure he will want to hear from you!

I am not a member of the BRSCC - I personally don't see the point of belonging to any club other than the BMMC (as a marshal) - so my thoughts on this meeting are literally my own! One thing I will be picking up with the organisers is whether they will provide some sort of "souvenir" - pin/cloth badge (and not another b****y hat).
Old 3 Jul 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1346277)   #10
snetmarshal
Racer

snetmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
having only done 2cv 24 hrs and not that big one over the water, i can say I love 24 hr races and also love britcar races (roll on snet 2 weeks time) would love to do this 24 hr as think would be great, but unfortunately think financials could put the spoiler on it for me
Old 3 Jul 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1346307)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having done the Nurburgring this year & Daytona & Le Mans in the past, I think this is a must. I'm 'Clerking' @ Brands on the Saturday, but will divert in on the way home. Come on everyone, let's give it a go.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1355479)   #12
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
volunteered at the start of the season, and dont intend to miss this one
there are 4 of us who will be there for sure.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1355625)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sadly clashes with Shelsley so I can't make it. I'd love to be there. At the end of last year the organisers were scouting for ideas of how to entice/provide facilities for the marshals, so I imagine that we'd be well looked after.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1356061)   #14
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
It took a while, but I've only just planned my summer (and where I'm going/when I need to go back to Uni/ etc etc) and have fit this meeting in.
Definitely looking forward to it - after experiencing the 2CVs I know how enjoyable marshalling at night can be, and I'm intrigued to see exactly what's going to happen. Best way of solving that is to be there
Old 18 Jul 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1357826)   #15
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I should be there, already volunteered to Pam!

I think if the numbers are low it may be because people aren't sure of how things are going to work, for example, amount of time on/off post, facilities that are to be provided for food/drink/sleep.

Maybe if there are any details which could be released then this might help people to make a decision and boost the numbers.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1358890)   #16
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian
THE Event of 2005

The Silverstone Britcar 24 Hour

9th - 11th September

It is time to volunteer for THE event of the year,
Julian Floyd (BRSCC Midlands Centre)
Err, I really (no really I would!) love to do come Julian
(says the x co-chief pit of the only proper 24 hours {i.e. at Snett} over many many years)

but I'll be at SPA - marshalling the GP!

Poser ain't I!
Old 20 Jul 2005, 09:29 (Ref:1359137)   #17
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Silverstone 24Hour
An Update

I would like to update you a little on some of the plans.

I can confirm that we will be providing food during the event along with rest facilities (marquee's) and transport (Mini busses). We are also looking to provide a gift of some sort.

We will be operating a rota syatem but the exact details of this are still to be organised.

Please not that that you do not have to volunteer for all three days, if you are only available for part of the event just volunteer for that.

As soon as I have any more information, I will let you all know.

For volunteering information, see my message at the top of this thread.

Regards,
Julian
Old 26 Jul 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1363949)   #18
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Is www.marshals.org.uk alive again yet? I was going to volunteer for the 24 hour race (against my better judgement?) but I can't access the web-site.

Oh well, I'll try again later.

PJ
Old 26 Jul 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1363954)   #19
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Hi,
I am still waiting for the DNS thing to update.
just email me at home@julian-floyd.com with your details to volunteer.
Julian
Old 27 Jul 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1364760)   #20
Pavaroti
Rookie

Scotland
Middle Of A Field
Pavaroti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look out, we hear there is a band of Scottish Bandits heading your way for the 24Hr spectaculor event. Have been informed that there will be no water pistols en-route with them!!!
Old 27 Jul 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1365060)   #21
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Hi all,

I am still waiting for the DNS records to update, in the mean time my site can be reached at the long winded address below:

http://d11117333.t93.qbic-pro.co.uk/Marshals.htm

Regards,
Julian
Old 11 Aug 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1380061)   #22
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
just a thought in case the powers that be haven't read all the comments re the LMES this weekend, to make sure that the 24hr goes well with the marshals' welfare being taken into consideration. I won't be there sadly due to a wedding commitment (not mine I hasten to add), but that doesn't mean I don't care.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1380175)   #23
burning-rubber
Rookie

Scotland
gloucestershire
burning-rubber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
th best racing ..in my humble opinion!!

ggg

hiya all....

yep i shall be there all 3 days...there is something about 24 hour racing whether it be le mans, the nurburgring....spa 24hr or daytona...it gets under your skin

im pretty sure this race will be the same,but the best bit of all 24hr races

that unexplainable feeling between the marshal's...cant beat it
Old 11 Aug 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1380213)   #24
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..that unexplainable feeling between 3-4am whenyou look round at the guys on post with you and think "what the flip are we doing here at this time of a morning!!!". But then something noisy/on fire/sideways/combination of all three comes past to remind you, or you get a glorious sunrise and it's all good.

Can't wait

Al.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1381618)   #25
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green
..Can't wait Al.
Good luck Al, hope you feel the same after doing the whole 24hrs without a break!